Citroen Ami - Waddya Reckon?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: Citroen Ami - Waddya Reckon?

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattsccm wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 6:24am They thing in the original post is way to complex and for a start needs some decent bumpers.
A plastic self-coloured body obviates their necessity.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Carlton green wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 3:03pm
Thanks for that link, an interesting video. For what it’s worth the reviewer quite liked the car but was clear about its limitations which, to be honest, are too restrictive to make the Ami a practical proposition for travel anywhere other than 30 mph restricted areas. The test was carried out in Coventry and the reviewer wouldn’t take it onto some major roads there that weren’t limited to 30 mph.
Where I live, I can think of one road that is not 20mph. Many of London's boroughs have gone to 20 but for the major arterial roads.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

st599_uk wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:23am
Carlton green wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 3:03pm
Thanks for that link, an interesting video. For what it’s worth the reviewer quite liked the car but was clear about its limitations which, to be honest, are too restrictive to make the Ami a practical proposition for travel anywhere other than 30 mph restricted areas. The test was carried out in Coventry and the reviewer wouldn’t take it onto some major roads there that weren’t limited to 30 mph.
Where I live, I can think of one road that is not 20mph. Many of London's boroughs have gone to 20 but for the major arterial roads.
There we have it really, it’s all down to the type of roads that the vehicle would be used on and in practice confined to.

I’m fortunate to live in a fairly rural place but I do need to travel to nearby Towns and Cities, on one road in particular I’d be vulnerable to being hit at any speed noticeably below 60 mph and on others 50 mph is the pace expected. It might be counter intuitive but driving to road conditions and with thought for fellow users means (in practice) going both slowly and (at other times) quite quickly. The Ami only does slow and some routes - most IMHO - demand more than that.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mattsccm wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 6:24am
I feel that the safety issue is a red herring. I for one would happily drive an old Mini. Everyone I talk to about this feels the same way. We are adding more complexity for no reason to our cars.

A mate in the car designing industry told me on Sunday that withing his industry as his level the demand is for small, simple cars not whoppers. Of course thats not what the makers feel.
Having been involved, through no fault of my own (*), in a few accidents I can assure all concerned that safety matters a lot and that ‘sh1t happens’. Modern engineering has literally saved my life and when reminded of that (this thread has done so) the resolve never to drive a Mini (car) sized vehicle has a lot of sense behind it. IMHO a Fabia is about as small as one should risk and much larger than that can be a liability on some country roads.

I could well believe that the motor industry is driving and distorting the market for their ends. However most new cars aren’t bought by individuals but rather companies instead and that does impact in the market.

(*) All the insurance claims exonerated me.

I wouldn’t be in a rush to get into one but came across the old Invacar by chance. See: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETMKX665Fw
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invacar
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... xceptional

Wonder why they never became more popular / copied in some way ...
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Truly terrifying 3-wheelers whose use stigmatised their users, I'd say.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Terrible things and AIUI, Motability based on mobility benefits is better value-for-money for all concerned. I did briefly drive one once - awful thing. (I'm sure we have at least one thread about them.)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"A plastic self-coloured body obviates their necessity."
Nope. Not in the slightest.They bend, break and generally do stuff all. Bumpers such as on the front of a Land Rover actually do something.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, traditional Land Rover-type bumpers are no longer type-approved, part of the long list of feature which led to the company pulling the model. The injury they can cause to people is behind that. ie, they can be retained on older vehicles but a new model cannot have them
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattsccm wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 4:36pm "A plastic self-coloured body obviates their necessity."
Nope. Not in the slightest.They bend, break and generally do stuff all. Bumpers such as on the front of a Land Rover actually do something.
I wouldn't want to make it (even, in your view) more complex when the manufacturer has come up with a more elegant solution.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 6:29pm Dad had a Triumph Dolomite Sprint.
Now that was a car!
Saw one today, on the back of a trailer, parked in the front of a house.

Orange, green stripes up the side, twin headlamps etc ............. but looking rather forlorn.
Just down here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51482 ... 312!8i6656
The path comes out here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51474 ... 312!8i6656

Not so frosty today! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 3:57pm
Terrible things and AIUI, Motability based on mobility benefits is better value-for-money for all concerned. I did briefly drive one once - awful thing. (I'm sure we have at least one thread about them.)
That’s what I thought too. Such small vehicles don’t drive sufficiently well and don’t offer value for money relative to mass produced vehicles in common use. They were also deemed unsafe - it’s not hard to see why - though I do appreciate that they might well have been somewhat life enhancing for those unfortunate enough to need them.

(AIUI : as I understand it.)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 6:29pm At the time I had my Hornet Dad had a Triumph Dolomite Sprint.

Now that was a car!

Sorry to have moved on from Citroen Amis.
A work chum bought one in the 90's with the idea of restoring it. He bombed around in it for a few months then sold it on.
He did restore a Jensen Interceptor to show room standards and what a car that was. The speed and sound of the V8 was breath taking.

The 1000's of hours spent in the garage was a labour of love although I think it was a way to escape his dragon of a wife. :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:28am
Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 6:29pm At the time I had my Hornet Dad had a Triumph Dolomite Sprint.

Now that was a car!

Sorry to have moved on from Citroen Amis.
A work chum bought one in the 90's with the idea of restoring it. He bombed around in it for a few months then sold it on.
He did restore a Jensen Interceptor to show room standards and what a car that was. The speed and sound of the V8 was breath taking.

The 1000's of hours spent in the garage was a labour of love although I think it was a way to escape his dragon of a wife. :lol:
When my dad had one it was a contemporary car. The number of cars I wish we could have kept! Morris 8, Hillman Minx, Jowett Javelin, Austin A35, Austin A45, Morris Minor, Dolomite, I had a 1970s BMW 320. A lot of junk as well.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 14 Jul 2021, 9:01am, edited 1 time in total.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

In the 60's I'd go to the scrappy and pick something up for 50 quid, run it until it needed testing or when seriously went wrong. When it did I sold it back to the scrappy for a few quid and bought another. Mostly a load of junk (classics today!!!!) but I remember a Rover 2000 that was real luxury and wish I'd kept it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

francovendee wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:58am In the 60's I'd go to the scrappy and pick something up for 50 quid, run it until it needed testing or when seriously went wrong. When it did I sold it back to the scrappy for a few quid and bought another. Mostly a load of junk (classics today!!!!) but I remember a Rover 2000 that was real luxury and wish I'd kept it.
Indeed, you'd have a big bag of iron oxide right now :lol: