Cycle route apps that 'talk'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Kazgriki

Cycle route apps that 'talk'

Post by Kazgriki »

Google maps is great for planning cycle routes across London and talking you through the route (with your phone mounted on the handlebars) However, the routes suggested aren't always the safest/quietest for cycling. Does anyone know of a city cycle route planner app that tells you directions as you cycle along the route?
francovendee

Re: Cycle route apps that 'talk'

Post by francovendee »

Kazgriki wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 2:07pm Google maps is great for planning cycle routes across London and talking you through the route (with your phone mounted on the handlebars) However, the routes suggested aren't always the safest/quietest for cycling. Does anyone know of a city cycle route planner app that tells you directions as you cycle along the route?
Osmand does this but I'm not keen on it's planning. Instead I load GPX tracks created on CycleTravel.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

cycle.travel iPhone app will do this in a couple of months :D

(Spent much of the week refining the turn-by-turn directions!)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sounds (!) good.

Thanks, Richard.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You can amend (redirect) the Google routes by adding waypoints. I presume you use the bike option in creating them.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 9:42am cycle.travel iPhone app will do this in a couple of months :D

I'm almost afraid to ask about the droid version...
In answer to the OP, I do the same as one of the posts above - cycle.travel gpx loaded into osmand. Works just fine.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Pendodave wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 1:21pm
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 9:42am cycle.travel iPhone app will do this in a couple of months :D

OK, I will then. :)

Hopefully 4.4.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pendodave wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 1:21pm

In answer to the OP, I do the same as one of the posts above - cycle.travel gpx loaded into osmand. Works just fine.
Been using that combo for a few years. Annoying that it also voices turns in the road. Osmand + is pretty good on its own too
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

That sounds bloomin' amazing - Somerset West and Taunton Council have decided that we are in the middle of an ecological emergency (which is about ten years too late) and are looking at ways to mitigate the worst of a very bad situation.. I have attempted to explain that a well designed net work of cycle ways may assist both local travel as well as national travel (after all Somerset is one of the counties that you pass through when doing Lejog).. how easy would it be to create a route which people can follow, so that it can be downloaded by people cycling through Somerset doing Lejog? And what would be the copyright/legal implications of the council having it stored on their webpage for access?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Pendodave wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 1:21pmI'm almost afraid to ask about the droid version...
I'll do an Android version in due course - in reality I think it's unlikely to be this year (there's only one of me and I don't really have any experience in Android development!) but it's something I'd like to do.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PH

Post by PH »

Look forward to trying that. :)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 2:22pm
Pendodave wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 1:21pmI'm almost afraid to ask about the droid version...
I'll do an Android version in due course - in reality I think it's unlikely to be this year (there's only one of me and I don't really have any experience in Android development!) but it's something I'd like to do.
A learning opportunity 😀
Richard M
Cardiff
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Any sign of an android version coming soon?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 7:11am

Any sign of an android version coming soon?
See viewtopic.php?p=1621003#p1621003 few posts up

Ian