Cycle route apps that 'talk'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
francovendee

Re: Cycle route apps that 'talk'

Post by francovendee »

Thanks, I should read all the posts :oops:
I knew it was planned and that it was available for iphones.
I love the app but couldn't bring myself to buy a phone from apple.
We need to clone Richard. :)
crossy

Post by crossy »

Would the cycle travel app have off line maps and be able to use with no SIM card. As I have an old phone with no SIM card.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It'll have offline maps though not necessarily in the very first version. It'll probably require iOS 13 though so may not necessarily work with the oldest phones.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 9:42am cycle.travel iPhone app will do this in a couple of months :D

(Spent much of the week refining the turn-by-turn directions!)
App Store search is being rather rubbish, and it doesn't look like there is a link on the cycle.travel site. Am I just being blind?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:29am

App Store search is being rather rubbish, and it doesn't look like there is a link on the cycle.travel site. Am I just being blind?
A little premature perhaps. Two months from the 10th of July means September I’d have thought.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My reading was that it would be an update to an existing app…

Your reading would imply that at least my ability to search isn’t completely hosed.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:59am My reading was that it would be an update to an existing app…
I reread it after your question... it's ambiguous.

Not long to wait. : - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 7:35amI love the app but couldn't bring myself to buy a phone from apple.
The only other retailer that I recommend is John Lewis.

; - )

Jonathan
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Always good to hear about updates to Cycle.travel - it's already a superb resource, even if you're only using the website version. However, someone has to say it: of all the possible features in a routing app, I'd have though the lowest priority for the OP would be speech.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Another vote for Komoot here. It works well.
I deployed it this morning to follow an unfamiliar route.
I would normally push down to my lezyne head unit but I was already recording the ride so it wouldn't. So just fired up the route on Komoot and stuck phone in pocket and listened to the directions.

I believe cyclestreets app also has that functionality now, and I look forward to cycle.travel getting it.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Don't take my date guesses as gospel too much! I'm a good way into developing the app and it's working fine for me so far, but it's very unpolished and I have a to-do list as long as my arm. I'd like to get it out asap but I'd also like to have some time to go cycling this summer :D (as well as doing some paid work!).

But here's a screenshot just to prove it's coming along...

IMG_3123.PNG
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you want beta testers then you only need to ask
boris

Post by boris »

For several years I have been using Osmand, recently Osmand+ with Brouter to do the cycle routing. It all works very well . Brouter is better than any other router I have used. The big advantage is that a whole country (or several ) of maps is stored in your phone so you have no concern about finding a signal or WiFi. I wear a blue-tooth ear pieceso that as I am cycling Mrs Osman shouts commands and warnings in my ear. There is then little need to look at the screen, which can be difficult in daylight and keeping the screen on uses battery. It can be free to use Osmand and is quite cheap for the paid version which is about £7 per year.