Your first proper road bike?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Debs

Re: Your first proper road bike?

Post by Debs »

My first actual bike was my Mum's BSA, but that wasn't really my bike, it was my Mum's, although i clocked a lot of miles on it as a kid. The first bike i owned was a black Kalkhoff Coupe du Monde which had a couple of good points; full mudguard clearance for commuting to work, and where it was relatively safe left padlocked up in the work bike rack... i mean, who'd want to steal it (?) But it was one hell of a clunker with a primitive standard of engineered bearings and parts. When i got the bug to start racking up the miles it soon became apparent i needed a proper bike.

Saw the Gran Sport in the LBS window and couldn't resist it. A fabulous bike that gave me many miles of enjoyment during the summer of 1983, including an introduction to my first time trial.
Although it has to be said, regrettably sold the Gran Sport to a colleague later the same year; would of been a keeper if i'd purchased the correct frame size. :D
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

My first proper racer was an Eddy Merckx in blue with yellow decals around 1981.It was bought from my dads mate who owned a 2nd hand shop.IIRC it wasn't in the best of nick and cost £20.I stripped it down and resprayed it red using rattle-cans.Rode it for a bit then sold it to a mate for £20!
It was then 2005 before I bought another road bike!A Focus Variado 105.I still have the frame set in the shed.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Some nice bikes on here.

It’s got me looking at eBay
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Not sure about the proper road bike moniker but its was a Falcon Black Arrow 2000
IiRC it had 5 gears
I loved but couldnt keep up with my mate who had a 10 gear Carlton Criterium ☹
peetee

Post by peetee »

My first thoroughbred racing bike was a made to order job from Rick Powell. I had seen his workmanship in a local bike shop, in particular a 753 race frame in purple. Alas, when it came to it, I had to take second best and ordered a 531Pro frame. It was a fabulous frame but some time later times were hard and I had to sell it. Roll on a few months and with better lined pockets I was idly scanning through free ads in ‘the comic’ and spotted a Rick Powell 753 frame for sale locally. It was the very same one I had drooled over in the shop in 1987.
It’s now mine and will be indefinitely.
B9D0A5EE-0423-4D1F-AC60-AE1B0CD60487.jpeg
The 531 frame I had had to sell was advertised for sale by its second owner some years after I secured the 753 and I was keen to have it. Unfortunately I made the mistake of revealing it was made for me. The owner had set a very high price and, given its provenance, was unwilling to drop to my offer. If anybody knows where Rick Powell No DD220 is now, please let me know.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

My first road bike was a Raleigh Arena bought for me for Christmas I think at a cost of £65 from Halfords. A quick search online shows this bike which looks pretty much identical to mine. Attached
Attachments
raleigh arena.jpg
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I think I had some form of dropped bar bike as a youngster but remember then buying something second hand with a 4 speed freewheel. That was sold mid teens and I bought a new Falcon Eddy Merckx as above. At 16 I bought a new Puch Prima super 12. 12 gears! I joined a club with that and starting TT's . The clunker wheels were replaced with some hand made sprints, Wolbers rims I think, which became my day to day wheels 13-17 block and all!
At 20 I went to college to do Outdoor Ed and the head of dept ( JOhn Brailsford) was an old sidekick of someone at Raleigh Special products. Each year dept students had the option of a nice Raleigh. None were exactly the same. Still got it 38 years later.
Syd

Your first proper road bike?

Post by Syd »

The first drop bar bike I ever had was certainly not what I’d think of as a road bike. It had a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub for starters. Must have been around 13 or so at the time.

Parents bought it from Halfords and on the first ride, on Christmas Day, the left pedal fell off after about a mile. The rest of the morning was spent checking everything else was secure.
ossie

Post by ossie »

My first 'road bike' was yellow and made in Germany. I was 9. I have no idea of the make / model.

Back In the UK my next road bike was a green Carlton, identical to this. I loved that bike, naturally it was too big for me but I grew into it before selling it in 1982 for £30 to help pay for a car.