Road Closed - A390

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Road Closed - A390

Post by Mick F »

Dunno where to put this post, but it's "on the road" so it's best here perhaps.

This afternoon, the daughter of a friend, was driving a tractor and trailer up the hill out of Cornwall into Devon .............. and it caught fire.
This is basically breaking news, but she's fine thank goodness.
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... 90-5686468
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 16.36.59.png
The road is closed.
Full stop.

Heading from Cornwall over the River Tamar and up, there are two options.
One, using the old road which we call the first short-cut, or two going up the turnpike road the longer way.
Then, one hundred yards later, after exiting the first short-cut, you have two options again.
One, staying on the turnpike, or going up the old road to join the turnpike again.

Maps.
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 16.59.03.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 16.56.14.png
Guess where the fire was.
You cannot exit the first short-cut and you cannot come up the turnpike.
You cannot head towards Cornwall, because the second short-cut is blocked, as is the turnpike.

Pedestrians and cyclists cannot get through. The tarmac is ruined and the road is closed until further notice.
Mick F. Cornwall
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Road Closed - A390

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s not actually that unusual at this time of the year, especially in Devon / Cornwall. The stuff in the trailer heats up ( because nature / biology ) then it ignites. Bye bye tractor and trailer.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think it looks like the tractor that heated up on this occasion.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 5:43pm I think it looks like the tractor that heated up on this occasion.
Interesting.
I saw two instances of tractor fires last year. One, on the A30 was very similar, the tractor was gutted and the trailer barely touched.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi guys.
As far as I know, the road is closed.
The only way to "England" from here is to either go north to cross over Horsebridge (very narrow lanes through hamlets and probably clogged with local traffic) ..... or south to cross over the suspension bridge across from Saltash on the A38, but the bridge is being refurbed (again) and very slow.

Other way is to go north up the A388 to Launceston to either cross Greystone Bridge to come down B roads via Milton Abbot to Tavistock, or further north to the A30 to cross Dunheved Bridge or the Old A30 across Polson Bridge via Lifton.

Meanwhile, the lady is at home, and ok. The tractor caught fire, and not the empty(?) trailer and she jumped out no worse for wear but shocked and frightened.

Who raised the alarm, we don't know as yet.
Maybe a following/passing driver?

Stop Press.
With quick thinking as the tractor burst into flames, she was able to get the tractor off the main road.

Planning on a walk with Doggie tomorrow. We can follow the river bank northwards and then cross the bridge into "England" and then through the woods to pop out onto the main road just above where the tractor is. I should be able to get a look-see, and then walk the similar route back home. Maybe four miles of a walk.
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 19.11.29.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Seems to have dropped off the AA roadwatch site now, and Devon Highways don't seem to show it on their website.
From what we hear locally, you can still get east from Gunnislake and over to Tavistock, but the only way is up the second shortcut and it's narrow and very steep and long. The traffic will all be using it, but no doubt HGVs etc will be diverted via Launceston.

If anyone reading this is planning on cycling on the A390 here, be prepared for a very narrow steep lane and be prepared to walk.
Coming west isn't an issue, as you will be flying down! You'll need excellent brakes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 8:57am Seems to have dropped off the AA roadwatch site now, and Devon Highways don't seem to show it on their website.
From what we hear locally, you can still get east from Gunnislake and over to Tavistock, but the only way is up the second shortcut and it's narrow and very steep and long. The traffic will all be using it, but no doubt HGVs etc will be diverted via Launceston.
The Highways guys will have worked overtime on this one, I expect - coming up to the busiest weekend of the year so far.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It used to be fire ships that they used to repel invaders, now they have turned to fire tractors.