Uninsured e scooters seized

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonineaston

Re: Uninsured e scooters seized

Post by simonineaston »

it doesn't seem like a terribly efficient way of travelling.
Indeed! Said child was struggling... :shock: She should have tried roller-skates, I think!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's quite a while since I saw anyone on roller skates. Funny how they seem to alternate in and out of fashion with skateboards.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ireland is moving towards legalisation and creation of a vehicle class of "powered personal transporters" https://www.thejournal.ie/e-scooters-ir ... 3-Oct2021/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Seems generally sensible. (Apart from the comments which are just like those in Britain.)
SupermanVsSnowman

Post by SupermanVsSnowman »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 11:47am E-scooters are treated as motor vehicles under UK law. Class Q on your licence.
Category Q
You can drive 2-wheeled and 3-wheeled vehicles without pedals with:

an engine size not more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine
a maximum design speed of no more than 25km/h (15.5mph)
This category also includes trial e-scooters.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
Never heard of a Category Q license before. That sounds like a really crap category. Is there actually a test you would need to pass to gain that? pointless as it may be.
OH CACK! I just dropped my d-lock, shattering the JWST primary mirrors! I'll just say I was on the toilet when I heard something smash.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SupermanVsSnowman wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 3:31am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 11:47am E-scooters are treated as motor vehicles under UK law. Class Q on your licence.
Category Q
You can drive 2-wheeled and 3-wheeled vehicles without pedals with:

an engine size not more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine
a maximum design speed of no more than 25km/h (15.5mph)
This category also includes trial e-scooters.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
Never heard of a Category Q license before. That sounds like a really crap category. Is there actually a test you would need to pass to gain that? pointless as it may be.
"A full or provisional UK licence for categories AM, A or B includes entitlement for category Q. If you have one of these licences, you can use an e-scooter."
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-t ... g-licences

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There used to be, maybe still are, special licence categories for pedestrian controlled machines, mowers, road rollers (not steam powered), and electric vehicles. They were listed on your licence as (from memory) f, k, l, and similar, appearing there by magic as soon as you got another full category.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 11:56am Voi have introduced scooter docks in order to tidy up the parking. In fact I've read there are some in Bristol, but not anywhere I've seen.
I first saw one of the Voi docks in passing through Brum but there are some popping up in Brizzle now. There is one on Fishponds for eg, another on the ring road path near the Harry Stoke TI. They bring their own issues tho, taking up huge spaces of pavement and even with their presence, scooters are still dumped nearby! Then there are those which are being 'claimed' by some users as their own private machine, locking the scooters to road furniture to prevent anyone else taking them.

I've seen plenty of clearly underage users - clearly a parent has registered but its the teenage child that is using. From personal observation there seem to be more machines literring the pavements but certainly where i am, fewer Voi users although there are plenty of illegals about, many ridden by quite young, like 10-12 y/o kids. There are certainly fewer powered scooters of all types on the B2B path from Fishponds outwards, an actual moped rider using the Fishponds-Mangotsfield stretch is however causing some concern, riding at significant speed without any consideration whatsoever, let alone the legality.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You can hire a Voi scooter for your own personal use for £35 a month. Whether these are the ones that you're seeing locked to street furniture I don't know.