Uninsured e scooters seized

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonineaston

Re: Uninsured e scooters seized

Post by simonineaston »

(except where being ridden dangerously)
Does the upturn in reported head injuries indicate a rise in the number of e-scooters being ridden dangerously?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

lbomaak2 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 8:46am Since e-scooters have their motor limited to the same speed (25km/h) as e-bikes,
Some are, but as there's no UK legislation which stipulates that, as there's no legislation at all, it's far from universal. It isn't hard to find models for sale on the High St that are capable of 20mph+. E-bikes are also restricted in power output to 250W, while many of the available scooters are 500W.
I think their rise in popularity took everyone by surprise, the legislation is very much lagging behind the reality. As I've said before, I like them and believe they are part of the future of personal transport, or a step along the way. It does need some regulation and the sooner the better.
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 9:52am
Does the upturn in reported head injuries indicate a rise in the number of e-scooters being ridden dangerously?
Have you a copy of such a report?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:10am
simonineaston wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 9:52am
Have you a copy of such a report?
Grace et al (2021) cites some studies.
http://imj.ie/an-analysis-of-e-scooter-related-trauma/

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

PH wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:10am Have you a copy of such a report?
I don't. I was referring to nomm's anecdotal comment - see below. My attention was peaked when I saw this, as my friends & I, (Bristol-based too and discussing this very issue in the pub...) had come to the conclusion that a) the indicator-of-importance would be a rise in serious injuries and b) the use of e-scooters would sooner or later, need regulation.
nomm wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 10:24am My doctor friend in A&E (Bristol based) says the spike in significant head injuries from scooters is very concerning, especially... as stated... the modified ones.
They explained there is something about angle/type of the fall from these things, with the hands placed on the handlebar, and the forward momentum that makes a face or head plant the most likely outcome.
When I see them...especially the ones with seats? All I can see is the film Wall-E
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 11:42am Pavement driving, red light jumping, yellow box squatting, parking on double yellows, jumping out across give-ways, parking across junctions, reckless overtaking, some of the more excessive speeding... enough widespread illegal driving seems pretty obvious to me even without hidden offences like the 2 in 7 overdue MOTs and 1 in 5 who can't see well enough.

And it's ignored so widely, not only by police, that I'm having to defend this claim even here!
Yes, but if you stand in a city centre like Bristol, you will see dozens of escooters before you see an (obviously) illegal driver.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Man rides scooter home on Aston Expressway after night out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... m-58360501

No mention of the scooter being confiscated.

(It looks as though he's on the tidal lane down the middle. A braver man than I am....)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.50066 ... 384!8i8192
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yes, but if you stand in a city centre like Bristol, you will see dozens of escooters before you see an (obviously) illegal driver.
I don't agree with that observation. What with Voi users not following the guidance (travelling two up) or breaking laws, (like running red lights, or riding under the influence of sundry drugs) and privately-owned scooter users who aren't supposed to be on public roads at all, let alone on modded versions capable of some serious high speeds and with limited braking power, I'd say a minority are using their e-scooter legally. The reports of rising numbers presenting at A&E is what mainly concerns me, though...
S
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 4:21pm Man rides scooter home on Aston Expressway after night out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... m-58360501

No mention of the scooter being confiscated.

(It looks as though he's on the tidal lane down the middle. A braver man than I am....)
Nah: just pissed :roll: :lol: and it looked like an unpowered scooter - or one with a flat battery - the former might explain the lack of confiscation: 'normal accompaniment' and all that?
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Dorset police said to be getting in on the act too (25 seized, according to BBC South last night). Beryl have a scheme in Bournmouth and Poole.
Interesting use of the diagonal bar in this sign, too :roll:
NoScooters.jpg
"42"
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PH wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:05am
lbomaak2 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 8:46am Since e-scooters have their motor limited to the same speed (25km/h) as e-bikes,
Some are, but as there's no UK legislation which stipulates that, as there's no legislation at all, it's far from universal. It isn't hard to find models for sale on the High St that are capable of 20mph+. E-bikes are also restricted in power output to 250W, while many of the available scooters are 500W.
It's a wonderful British compromise where those are legal to sell and buy but not to use in public.
I think their rise in popularity took everyone by surprise, the legislation is very much lagging behind the reality. As I've said before, I like them and believe they are part of the future of personal transport, or a step along the way. It does need some regulation and the sooner the better.
Yes.
awavey

Post by awavey »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 2:27pm
Yes.
problem is I cant see what regulation will be remotely effective,and that wont infact then open a whole can of worms for extra regulation on cyclists as an indirect result.

and Im increasingly aware of ebikes on the road that people must be seriously modding as well,though maybe its as easy as chipping ECUs in cars used to be, as some of the speeds Ive seen them reach they are giving mopeds a hard time to keep up
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yesterday I was bumbling into town along the Concord Way, when I was overtaken by a young man on an e-bike, in full wheelie mode, and than a moment later a group of three escooters, the ones with the big fat tyres and a load of power, two on my offside, one on my left... not sure what point I'm making, other than to observer that they shot past me fast and I was already doing (say) 12mph - I bet (no evidence) that none of them were insured.
S
PH

Post by PH »

awavey wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 10:16pm and Im increasingly aware of ebikes on the road that people must be seriously modding as well,though maybe its as easy as chipping ECUs in cars used to be, as some of the speeds Ive seen them reach they are giving mopeds a hard time to keep up
I've noted them as well, however the vast majority of E-bikes I see comply with the regulations, as do an even larger proportion of those sold. That's what we'd get with E-scooter regulation, with a clear distinction between what's permitted and what isn't and most of those manufactured and sold would conform. It'd be nice if there was then some enforcement of that, but the inability to police the roads adequately doesn't offer much hope.