Deliberate dangerous riding?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Deliberate dangerous riding?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

What they and the whole thread has failed to establish is what danger the rider caused and who to.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Hellhound wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 9:03pm I followed at 14-17mph for a mile or so when he glanced back a couple more times but still kept his line.There was no way I could pass without going dangerously close even at 15 mph.I didn't toot my horn,I just pottled along behind at a safe distance.After another 1/2 mile or so there was an opportunity to pass where the road widens just before a little bridge so I did so.I didn't floor it but just slowly accelerated and on passing him got the waving of arms and the finger!
If it was Witham Bank, it appears to have three bridges. I cannot see where the road widens on either side of any of those bridges.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1345278 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1094546 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0931884 ... 312!8i6656
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

What they and the whole thread has failed to establish is what danger the rider caused and who to.
[/quote]

Exactly my point, in page one! :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I think the problem with the derestriction sign is that a speed limit has been specified. Most motorists drive at the speed limit. Once that is specified then that is speed drivers will or expect to be able to drive. The OP illustrated this point in that he stated he was driving at half the speed limit ie he was entitled to drive at 60mph, even though this was too fast for the conditions ie cyclist in front on a "quiet" road.
The derestriction sign should mean speed limit not assessed. This would completely eliminate any expectations of what might be a safe.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 2:48pm What they and the whole thread has failed to establish is what danger the rider caused and who to.
Hmm........have to admit having had the NHS trying to section me on dubious grounds to stop me cycling in 2019 (Nb. Complex brain seizures. Think they're concerned I may die), I take a rather relaxed view. Following >17 emergency ambulance journeys in 2.75yr & my brother with a few degrees/post grad signing off my death warrant last August (Nb. Technically the NHS are blocked from saving me if I die whilst cycling, swimming, climbing etc), I continue to cycle.

Suppose I hit 40mph on my early morning "exercise" ride this morning :lol:.(Nb. It was downhill, suppose I'll hit 50yr's at some stage :lol: ). But only had 165.97 hi speed miles the last week, though it's been hi speed, heart monitor fitted miles, rather than leisurely 2k tours. God, it was great :wink:
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Phil Fouracre wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 5:29pm What they and the whole thread has failed to establish is what danger the rider caused and who to.
Well, on Tuesday morning on my way to work a cyclist pulled out on me from a narrow side street and clearly hadn't seen me despite my front flashing light and bright clothing. If I hadn't have been riding in the middle of the carriageway to avoid a raised manhole cover we would have collided at about 20mph. I just raised my arm and shook my head, as there was not much else I could have done.

I continued ahead, then went left and under a bridge to a road which joins with the high street up ahead. The cheeky swine had jumped a red light, ridden up the pavement and through a pedestrianised area and nearly pulled out in front of me again at a pedestrian crossing. Luckily I was just a bit too quick for him.

It's people like that that give cyclists a bad name, and it's hard enough trying to get respect from other road users without idiots like that.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ChrisP100 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 9:30pm nearly pulled out in front of me
Phew - a lucky escape!!!
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

mattheus wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 11:55am
ChrisP100 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 9:30pm nearly pulled out in front of me
Phew - a lucky escape!!!
It was considering he had his head down and just wasn't looking when he dropped off the crossing just behind me. Maybe he'd seen me in his peripheral vision, but it certainly didn't seem like it at the time.