Speed Limiters on Vehicles From 2022

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

Speed Limiters on Vehicles From 2022

Post by simonhill »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it might be of interest to us cyclists.

I got the info from a motorcycle forum on my newsfeed, not sure why as I'm not a m'cyclist.

It's an interesting read as not only limited speed limiters, but also recording driving info.

To sum up
"Simply put, through the use of cameras, GPS and computers, onboard systems will be able to impose limits & restrictions on the power of vehicles as they approach the speed limit, slowing your progress as you reach the designated limit for the road you're on."

https://www-visordown-com.cdn.ampprojec ... d-limiters
simonineaston

Re: Speed Limiters on Vehicles From 2022

Post by simonineaston »

Oh Yeeeess !! Better tell my computer-controlled mini what to expect... or perhaps go back to my old Porsche which had a very similar power to weight ratio but no computer control... ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A couple of points.
1.Older vehicles will not require retro-fitting.
2.The system can be bypassed by pressing hard on the accelerator(like old kick-down on automatics?) which means it can be permanently bypassed just as it can be on current HGVs :lol: :lol: :roll:
So people will either :-
1.Have it 'mapped' out of the ECU as you can do with other controls.
2.Buy older cars.
So it's really just a box-ticking exercise that like most box-ticking exercises is a complete waste of time and money :roll:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's an excellent default, I manually have mine set all the time, because it's automated sign recognition isn't quite good enough.
The fact that it can be permanently overridden isn't really relevant, most people won't, and with most people doing the speed limit then those who want to flout it become a minority, and penalties can more easily be applied.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I completely fail to understand why this is not mandatory and completely unavoidable in any new vehicle what so ever. . But then I do not believe that moptoring is a right but a privilidge.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Surely all vehicles should have limiters, and also black box type recorders, which would establish a driver's behaviour leading up to any collision.
Disabling these devices would invalidate insurance, which seems to be the only offence which will result in a driver walking home.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's contained in the EU vehicle "roadmap". I'll try to find the pretty infographic, but in the meantime:
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... IP_19_1793
https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents ... ons/native

Jonathan

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 19.36.28.png
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I'm amazed by how many drivers break speed limits unintentionally (If I believe everything those who have been on the 'speed awareness' courses have told me) through lack of attention, limited multitasking skills or distraction. I reckon a loud beep, as much as an actual speed limiter would cut speeding by maybe 50% (actual statistics welcomed) - which would be a good start
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I have one bug bear with this technology and Speed limiting. people are more likely to drive at the limit, remember this is a limit and not a target. If you drive on rural roads it quite often not safe to drive at the legal speed limit, similarly in urban areas 30 is sometimes too fast.
NUKe

Post by toontra »

Great idea, but you only have to look at the number of e-bikes that have been "fixed" (in London anyway) to realise that there will be ways found to get around in-built limiting.

I've always thought GPS or average speed cameras are the only way to stop anti-social idiots - and even they will have pitfalls (e.g. cloned plates).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stradageek wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 8:48am I'm amazed by how many drivers break speed limits unintentionally (If I believe everything those who have been on the 'speed awareness' courses have told me) through lack of attention, limited multitasking skills or distraction. I reckon a loud beep, as much as an actual speed limiter would cut speeding by maybe 50% (actual statistics welcomed) - which would be a good start
I have no idea of the numbers but this sounds plausible.

I like having a speed limiter or a speed warning, especially on vehicles and roads with which I am unfamiliar.

And of course we're within technological grasp of the vehicle knowing the appropriate limit automatically.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

toontra wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 8:56am Great idea, but you only have to look at the number of e-bikes that have been "fixed" (in London anyway) to realise that there will be ways found to get around in-built limiting.
And ways to record the override. And ways to access that evidence of overriding.

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 9:08am
Stradageek wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 8:48am I'm amazed by how many drivers break speed limits unintentionally (If I believe everything those who have been on the 'speed awareness' courses have told me) through lack of attention, limited multitasking skills or distraction. I reckon a loud beep, as much as an actual speed limiter would cut speeding by maybe 50% (actual statistics welcomed) - which would be a good start

I like having a speed limiter or a speed warning, especially on vehicles and roads with which I am unfamiliar.

And of course we're within technological grasp of the vehicle knowing the appropriate limit automatically.

Jonathan
New vehicles in Japan, and hence used ones in large parts of Asia-Pacific, have an alarm which pings continuously when you exceed the 100km/h Japanese national speed limit. Or at least they did in the 90s, AFAIK it hasn't been removed.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 9:08am

Jonathan
Likewise I utilise the speed limiter on occasion (and have a warning I use for the national speed limit). However rarely can I use it without a queue building up behind me. I know several manufacturers (Lexus for example) have Road sign assist that reads speed limit signs, clearly the tech exists to link that to the speed limiter. I guess the safety issue is how the the vehicle reacts without driver input so would need rear radar similar to adaptive cruise control.
Last edited by ossie on 12 Aug 2021, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I completely fail to understand why this is not mandatory and completely unavoidable in any new vehicle what so ever.
This because man is at core duplicitous, deceitful and selfish. This is why we will not be able to address the climate crisis in time. This is called, "serves you right"... :?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)