Speed Limiters on Vehicles From 2022

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bikes4two

Re: Speed Limiters on Vehicles From 2022

Post by bikes4two »

New vehicles in Japan, and hence used ones in large parts of Asia-Pacific, have an alarm which pings continuously when you exceed the 100km/h Japanese national speed limit. Or at least they did in the 90s, AFAIK it hasn't been removed.
I have a 2002 Japanese imported vehicle (Nissan Elgrand) and it has all sorts of alarms buried in it's (Japanese) menu system and I think such alarms are optional (if only I could read the menu!) and can be set to differing levels.

I have an app on my smartphone to display current vehicle speed (phone on a dash mag mount) and I can set different alarms for different speeds and I do use that facility all of the time as it is all too easy in a comfortable, quiet car to go too fast.

Anyway, I like the idea of the sort of tech that is being proposed - what about each driver has to put in their bank details before driving and then if they choose to go over the speed limit then the 'fine' is deducted straight away! :D
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bikes4two wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 12:55pmAnyway, I like the idea of the sort of tech that is being proposed - what about each driver has to put in their bank details before driving and then if they choose to go over the speed limit then the 'fine' is deducted straight away!
I'm not sure where that is in either the EU future safety requirements or the categorisation of autonomous vehicles. and of course it's closely connected to driving without a licence or without insurance,

And to the concept of moving the privilege of driving on public roads into a model of regulatory permission rather than pretending that we'll ever get major improvements from the combination of ever greater criminalisation and ever weaker detection.

Jonathan
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Vehicles are now logging when users override safety systems, police and insurers are interrogating these systems in the event of an incident as they already do with older cars ECU data to determine speed, if the brakes were applied etc.

Couple this with most people won’t be overriding them so increasingly speed limit adherence will improve as they, and the drivers behind them comply with limits.

My Toyota has the GPS & camera speed and sign warning system, it reminds me of speed limit changes and chimes if I’m over, handy if you miss one on the variable speed limit motorways, a quick press of the adaptive cruise button and it adjusts my speed to the new limit, still factoring in the speed and distance to the vehicle in front.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Stradageek wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 8:48am I'm amazed by how many drivers break speed limits unintentionally (If I believe everything those who have been on the 'speed awareness' courses have told me) through lack of attention, limited multitasking skills or distraction. I reckon a loud beep, as much as an actual speed limiter would cut speeding by maybe 50% (actual statistics welcomed) - which would be a good start
I did this afternoon - a road I know very well, but was thinking about the task I was going to do, and concentrating on the road ahead because of the low sun. Took me a good couple of hundred yards to remember that I had passed into a lower speed limit area and I knocked the speed limiter down (I hadn't been up against the previous limit)

The low sun was awkward rather than blinding, and there was no-one else around (ahead of me, behind me, going the other way or on the pavement). So... did I break the speed limit unintentionally? Yes. Was it particularly dangerous? No

But then last week I was on the motorway and the car thought it was a 40 limit... so there is some way to go before the systems are perfect, but at the same time if I could override the actual limiter and say "yes, ok the limit *has* changed, but you've read it wrong" or "You didn't notice but the speed limit changed". Heck even a warning that I had to dismiss with the OK button on the wheel when it detects a speed limit change... So many ways to deal with erroneous automation.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Speed limiters on cars won't stop crashes caused by poor observation, careless driving, driving under the influence etc.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Such technology should concern us all and make us question how it might be misused. There are some serious abuse and civil liberties issues here not to even consider opportunities for criminal activity. Of course the technology has been brought in with good intent and it might work flawlessly but I wouldn’t willingly have it on any vehicle of mine and I regard it as dangerous in multiple ways. My licence is clean and I’ve never had any points on it.

Yes, there are perceived to be and may be more pluses than minuses to such technology and monitoring. Certainly I welcome improved road safety and increased driver accountability. However, you don’t need to look very far in this World to see both intended and accidental misuse of power.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Debs wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 12:12am Speed limiters on cars won't stop crashes caused by poor observation, careless driving, driving under the influence etc.
Correct. You can't legislate away human error. But reducing and controlling speed is the single biggest factor in reducing death and serious injury.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Debs wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 12:12am Speed limiters on cars won't stop crashes caused by poor observation, careless driving, driving under the influence etc.
No, but with the increase of electric vehicles it's really easy for speed to creep - there are no engine revs to listen to and no gears to move through. I have complete vestibular loss, so I don't feel acceleration either.. having the speed limiter set is very useful.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Hellhound wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 2:48pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A couple of points.
1.Older vehicles will not require retro-fitting.
2.The system can be bypassed by pressing hard on the accelerator(like old kick-down on automatics?) which means it can be permanently bypassed just as it can be on current HGVs :lol: :lol: :roll:
Increasingly less, all wagons sold after (may 2019 ??) the tachos/limiters need to be fed from two sources (usually propshaft and abs) so it would be very complex to fool now. The days of packing large magnets around the propshaft sensor are long gone, LOL.

The way it seems to be bypassed now is at calibration, some countries seem to turn a blind eye to calibrating wagons that are fitted with smaller wheels.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Civil liberties must be secondary to civil responsibilities. One should earn liberties not assume them.
Debs

Post by Debs »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 9:42am
No, but with the increase of electric vehicles it's really easy for speed to creep - there are no engine revs to listen to and no gears to move through. I have complete vestibular loss, so I don't feel acceleration either.. having the speed limiter set is very useful.
Useful for electric vehicles perhaps but; personal choice vs compulsory for all?

Make fitting of GPS dash-cams in cars compulsory and the roads would soon become a safer place.
This would be far easier to do and implement than speed limiters...
Less crashes, cheaper insurance, the crash culprits would be proven on film and telemetry tracking :)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

So often the argument for controlling speed is reduced to the simplistic metric of safety. In fact noise, air pollution (from exhausts and from tyres and brakes), and enabling roads to be used by non-motorised users (including the ability to cross the road as a pedestrian) are equally important.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Debs wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 4:10pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 9:42am
Useful for electric vehicles perhaps but; personal choice vs compulsory for all?

Make fitting of GPS dash-cams in cars compulsory and the roads would soon become a safer place.
Less crashes, cheaper insurance, the crash culprits would be proven on film and telemetry tracking :)
No - this is a societal benefit, like masks. It should not be left to personal choice.

I'd absolutely advocate for all vehicles to carry dashcams and black box recorders that are activated (i.e. flushed to storage) on impact or on driver request.

The existence of a speed limiter shouldn't be noticed by anyone (emergency services vehicles are an obvious exclusion, probably hooked up to the blue lights.)
the snail

Post by the snail »

Debs wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 4:10pm

Personal choice to break the law and put others at risk? I should think that implementing a speed limiter in a modern vehicle is pretty straightforward - all the technology is already there (gps, electronic sensors and controls etc), just some extra computer code needed. Much better to prevent an accident than to try and punish drivers after the event imo.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

the snail wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 4:50pmMuch better to prevent an accident than to try and punish drivers after the event imo.
Yes. And that would still be true if we were detecting and punishing efficiently.

Jonathan