Quality trouser straps

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
SimonCelsa

Quality trouser straps

Post by SimonCelsa »

Spa Cycles currently have a good deal on Brooks trouser straps for those of us who wear unfashionably flared trousers.

Not a bad price: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s124p17 ... user-strap

Good idea for an early Christmas stocking filler!

Apologies if posted in the wrong section.
MikeF

Re: Quality trouser straps

Post by MikeF »

I just use the plastic coated springy metal ones
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

MikeF wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 7:39pm I just use the plastic coated springy metal ones
I like velcro ones.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, I normally use the cheapo hi-vis plastic coated strap. After a while the plastic splits & crumbles off, leaving the stainless spring band only which still works well.

However, I couldn't resist the ultimate quality leather coated Brooks variety, and for someone as frugal as me the delicate aroma of fresh leather is a touch of luxury!! Trouble is, now I can't just leave it coiled round the top tube when I park the bike as some toerag will half inch it.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Are there really people who still wear flared trousers? Oh hang on this is the cycling UK forum so...yes there are!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Well, the trousers are not really flared, just not drainpipe legged. As my commuter bike runs a fixed gear I don't really want to get anything stuck in the transmission!!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

My postie leaves an excellent alternative outside my gate on a regular basis. Great for keeping inner tubes folded as well.
drossall

Post by drossall »

flat tyre wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 11:23am Are there really people who still wear flared trousers? Oh hang on this is the cycling UK forum so...yes there are!
There are flares and flares. I got into the habit of using old toe straps as trouser straps in my early years. One reason was the extreme flares that we wore in the 70s, which went about three time round my legs when wrapped for cycling! I realised how things had changed a few years later, when I dug out an old pair of trousers for decorating, and one of those, "Surely I never wore that?" moments.

These days, I too like velcro straps. Someone on a forum was custom-making them.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

drossall wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 5:30pm
flat tyre wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 11:23am Are there really people who still wear flared trousers? Oh hang on this is the cycling UK forum so...yes there are!
There are flares and flares. I got into the habit of using old toe straps as trouser straps in my early years. One reason was the extreme flares that we wore in the 70s, which went about three time round my legs when wrapped for cycling! I realised how things had changed a few years later, when I dug out an old pair of trousers for decorating, and one of those, "Surely I never wore that?" moments.

These days, I too like velcro straps. Someone on a forum was custom-making them.

Remember hipsters?

I found 360mm lengths of self adhesive backed velcro in a pound shop. Stuck back to back they do the job fine.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mike Sales wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 5:39pm I found 360mm lengths of self adhesive backed velcro in a pound shop. Stuck back to back they do the job fine.
I've some double-sided velcro strapping that works well for all sort of things, including ankles (furry one side, hooks the other).
From B&Q, iirc, but this stuff if B&Q don't have it any more (also in 10mm, white, and purple).
[edit] also available in 25x200 mm lengths, with cycling trouser straps as a suggested use on the video below.

Mostly I use the Respro/Hump reflective/yellow neoprene ankle bands (yet another thing that seems to be out of stock at most places due to Covid)
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm not sure whether fruitcake posts on here. I've had several pairs of his bands from YACF.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I have been guilty of tucking my flares into my socks while wearing a pair of sandals. The wife put a stop to all that unpleasantness when she came on the scene.
I am here. Where are you?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 9:37am I have been guilty of tucking my flares into my socks while wearing a pair of sandals. The wife put a stop to all that unpleasantness when she came on the scene.
:D