Appeal a Fine?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jgurney

Re: Appeal a Fine?

Post by jgurney »

mjr wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 11:21am ... what's sometimes called a Cycleway Resembling A Pavement ... riding similar CRAP routes ....
:lol: :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:33am Can you link to the location on a map or streetview, please? ....
In the absence of anything further from the OP, perhaps somebody familiar with the area can cast a bit of light on this with a streetview. If somebody has already done that, please accept my apologies for being thick and point me to it again.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 7:01am
mjr wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:33am Can you link to the location on a map or streetview, please? ....
In the absence of anything further from the OP, perhaps somebody familiar with the area can cast a bit of light on this with a streetview. If somebody has already done that, please accept my apologies for being thick and point me to it again.
No apologies needed...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm looking for the "roundabout" mentioned by the OP
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:07am I'm looking for the "roundabout" mentioned by the OP
He means the Hammersmith Gyratory. It consists of the square of roads surrounding the Underground and bus stations just North of the flyover. I can't find the street names on any maps. Seen here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49218 ... authuser=0
Last edited by jgurney on 27 Aug 2021, 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

UKcyclistnewby wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 6:36pm I just got a FPN for cycling on the pavement outside Hammersmith station. The Hammersmith roundabout is really large and busy without a segregated bicycle path so I feel it is much too dangerous to cycle on the road. There's also a very confusing pedestrian/cyclist traffic light that goes onto the pavement so I genuinely thought I was allowed to cycle there. For the minute or so during my commute that I cycle on the pavement, I always cycle very slowly and keep a lot of space between me and pedestrians. Is it worth appealing this or is it lost money?
Any conclusions after reading this discussion?

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

jgurney wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:12am
thirdcrank wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:07am I'm looking for the "roundabout" mentioned by the OP
He means the Hammersmith Gyratory. It consiststs of the square of roads surrounding the underground and bus stations just North of the flyover. I can't find the street names on any maps. Seen here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49218 ... authuser=0
Thanks for clearing that up.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Ignore the fine.
Ignore any future correspondence to do with the fine.
If you appeal it they have you!
Fines are basically unenforceable.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

It's funny how sometimes something can make you want to fight things if only to make a point or to make "officials" aware something is wrong.

I'm mid way through "kicking-up" after Highways responded to a Planning Application including "The road has little traffic" about a single track road into village. Clearly they'd never measured the road traffic levels (if they had they'd have appreciated it's a "rat run") yet their response is considered definitive by planners because they are "Highways" even when their input completely conflicts with responses from locals.

So I've got as far as having FOI responses from Highways admitting they have no data and their definitive response was in reality just an opinion based on nothing. So next step is a formal complaint and starting to ask planners about their basis for treating Highways as definitive and real world local experience as irrelevant.

Nothing will change the outcome of the planning application (which was in effect void before it was decided as the applicant did not even own the property) but I find it wrong so I'm fighting it.

I wonder if part of OP wanting to fight the FPN is because they feel the area warrants better cycle infrastructure. Depending of ability to pay and early payment reductions, fighting it has to be a higher risk but that is not to suggest OP should or shouldn't contest it.

Ian
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:49pm Ignore the fine.
But there are court orders for non payment.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just a reminder of the potential consequences of not paying fines:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt- ... ourt-fine/
John
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:49pm Fines are basically unenforceable.
If they are unenforceable why are they issued?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For the majority of people, ignoring something like this at any stage is a poor strategy because it's unlikely to go away.

The absence of a cycle registration scheme means that cyclists as cyclists will only receive fixed penalties personally ie not through the post or taped to a non-existent windscreen. There may be a temptation to refuse details, which can now lead to arrest, or to give false details, which may be treated as perverting justice. Anybody receiving a fixed penalty notice should read it very carefully and note the timetable. Otherwise, the options eg to pay the lowest fine or to contest the allegation of an offence are lost.

I can't find any stats on people committed to prison for non-payment of a fine - as will happen eventually with an ignored fixed penalty - but it's the norm. My experience is not recent but in an earlier life I've dispatched vanloads of fine defaulters to gaol.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 6:55am Just a reminder of the potential consequences of not paying fines:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt- ... ourt-fine/

The choice is yours. But I have spoken in prison to quite a number of fine defaulters, life ruined for £50 or something.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:49pm Ignore the fine.
I guess that depends on what you mean by unenforceable. There are two ways of failing to pay a fine on a fixed penalty notice. 1) You reject the FPN & receive a summons (court date). You can plead guilty by letter or elect to attend court. 2) If you do not reject the FPN, you are legally assumed to have accepted it. If you then fail to pay within 28 days, the fine is registered with the court and automatically increased (by 50%?). They can then issue a warrant for arrest if you continue to fail to respond.

So, it may very well be that they will never get their money, but does that mean it is 'unenforceable'?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom