Close Passes & road position

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Stevek76

Re: Close Passes & road position

Post by Stevek76 »

Primary and taking the lane are the same in my book. Definitions of all terms tends to be a bit YMMV unfortunately.

My own general positioning is approx 0.75-1m from kerb and/or parked cars for longer stretches of road (I.e. secondary). Middle of the lane for junctions, urban multi lane situations, pinch spots etc.

I usually struggle to watch most video footage posted to social media without a strong urge to move to the right.

Does being further out change passing distances? Probably not significantly but I believe it makes me more obvious and has a number of other advantages including more options to avoid surface defects and avoiding the puncture fairy. On some longer stretches my secondary position is often following the left motor vehicle tyre track worn into the road given that's where sharp stuff is least likely to be.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
awavey

Post by awavey »

my default position is in the left motor vehicle tyre track, except when it rains on some roads as you often get a small depression that forms which collects the water into puddles more frequently.

but ill move over further right at pinch points or junctions.

does it make a difference, sometimes its hard to tell, alot depends on the driver you encounter I think, if you meet one who reacts to your position on the road and realises they cant get through, then its fine. But occasionally youll meet some that will still go for the overtake regardless, or the ones who dont think you should be there at all.

but it varies ride to ride, I had been going through a reasonably quiet time on the road with close passes, I assumed everyone had jetted off on their holidays or something, but then on the same roads, riding the same way as I was previously in just 2 rides Ive had at least 6 close passes of submissable to police kind of quality to take action, not just oh that was a bit close style, and 2 of them I was actually in prime but wasnt able to block the overtake.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re close passes, you rarely hear about them when the vehicle is coming the other way.

I often cycle on small lanes in the country. Cars coming towards you may slow, even stop and let you proceed safely. The reckless power through sometimes without even slowing. Often far more dangerous than same way passes.

Road positioning helps but I've often been forced into the edge if not onto the verge - probably where some motorists think I should be.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A little personal history with regard to road position....

When I was a teen, I was run off the road by a driver where a rail line crossed the road at a bad angle. The driver overtook into oncoming traffic & came far too close to me, leaving me with a choice between the ditch & the tracks. I shouted at him & he stopped. The police turned up (I don't know if the police just happened to come across us, or someone nearby called them). The police officer happened to be a cyclist & motorcyclist and told me that I should have been in the middle of my lane, so I could take the tracks at a good angle. That advice was something I learned to use, though I didn't understand lane position as a tool for controlling traffic around me until I read Cyclecraft, maybe 11 or 12 years ago.

Since, I have experimented with road position in different situations, and the more I use primary position, the less stressful overall my rides tend to be. Yes, it irritates some drivers, but it also improves their behaviour around me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

John Holiday wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 2:15pm There has been much discussion & comment about close passing by errant drivers.
Whilst riding & driving about, have been aware that many riders ride much too close to the kerb or road edge, & positively invite drivers to push past, rather than wait until safe to do so.
It is much safer to ride a metre or 1200 mm out, which makes you prominent and drivers have to conciously drive around you.
This also avoids all the debris,road gullies etc. which tends to accumulate at the roadside.
Obviously, if they do wait, give them a wave of thanks.
Have found this works quite well.
Will be interested to hear others thoughts.
I generally ride 1 -2 bike widths out from the limit of the carriageway marking depending on road condition/location. Unless of course I'm going straight on at a junction/roundabout or moving out to avoid hazards on my left hand side (I always look behind me before manoeuvring). I've had more close-passes when riding on a cycle path adjacent to the carriageway than I have on the road.

I'm the same as you in that I'll always give a wave of thanks to anyone I've held up, and also any driver that gives me a good wide berth. Conversely, I will often indicate if someone has passed me too closely (no, not that signal :lol: ) by holding up my right hand with thumb and forefinger apart. Probably 49 times out of 50 I get no reaction (probably don't even see), but a few times I've had people hold their hand up and apologise, which I suppose is something.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

ChrisP100 wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 1:30pm
John Holiday wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 2:15pm There has been much discussion & comment about close passing by errant drivers.
Whilst riding & driving about, have been aware that many riders ride much too close to the kerb or road edge, & positively invite drivers to push past, rather than wait until safe to do so.
It is much safer to ride a metre or 1200 mm out, which makes you prominent and drivers have to conciously drive around you.
This also avoids all the debris,road gullies etc. which tends to accumulate at the roadside.
Obviously, if they do wait, give them a wave of thanks.
Have found this works quite well.
Will be interested to hear others thoughts.
I generally ride 1 -2 bike widths out from the limit of the carriageway marking depending on road condition/location. Unless of course I'm going straight on at a junction/roundabout or moving out to avoid hazards on my left hand side (I always look behind me before manoeuvring). I've had more close-passes when riding on a cycle path adjacent to the carriageway than I have on the road.

I'm the same as you in that I'll always give a wave of thanks to anyone I've held up, and also any driver that gives me a good wide berth. Conversely, I will often indicate if someone has passed me too closely (no, not that signal :lol: ) by holding up my right hand with thumb and forefinger apart. Probably 49 times out of 50 I get no reaction (probably don't even see), but a few times I've had people hold their hand up and apologise, which I suppose is something.
I sometimes give a fist shake. Usually the following vehicle notices and gives me a wider berth.
A faster cyclist passed me today, but then rode nearer the gutter than I do.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.