London Trip

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

London Trip

Post by Redvee »

Despite the hassle and cost of getting my bike and body on a train to London I'm heading up the GWR mainline next week from Bristol Parkway cause Temple Meads in out of action and a replacement bus takes you to Parkway so avoiding the hassle of the bus and riding the 5 miles there from home.
I'm looking for suggestions of parts of London I can visit on bike, not places where I have to leave my bike locked up outdoors as I want it to still be there when I get back. I've stgarted with a lap or two of Richmond Park and stay south of the river and head to O2 and Thames Barrier before heading north of the river through Greenwich Tunnel.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: London Trip

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

If you like a challenge, head for Swains Lane.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/4268 ... ain-s-lane

If you need somewhere bike friendly to have a bite to eat, where you can sit right by your bike, I can recommend Look mum no hands in Old street. The ‘LMNH burger’ is superb.

https://www.lookmumnohands.com/.

If you like scenic views, then Parliament hill is a good shout too.

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-d ... ament-hill.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How about Stratford: velodrome, road course and mountain bike trails. But I don't know what's open when.
https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/lee-valley-velopark

That then offers the Lee Vally route. We used that at the end of a tour of East Anglia and were impressed. (But somewhere in the archives there's a recommendation for something that's supposed to be better.)
https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/walki ... ing-routes

Jonathan
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 8:31am How about Stratford: velodrome, road course and mountain bike trails. But I don't know what's open when.
https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/lee-valley-velopark

That then offers the Lee Vally route. We used that at the end of a tour of East Anglia and were impressed. (But somewhere in the archives there's a recommendation for something that's supposed to be better.)
https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/walki ... ing-routes

Jonathan
Schedule for the Velopark courses are on the website. Fairly easy to book online as well. You can take the CS2 to get there but just be wary of the pedestrians and traffic in East London.

You might also want to check the food market at the Coals Drop Yard behind Kings Cross. You should be able to take your bike through the market.

London cycle routes which might be useful:
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/cycle?intcmp=40 ... tcmp=60683
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think you can cycle around some of the Greenwich Observatory but you wouldn't be able to go in so that's probably not the best use of riding time. The Olympic Park is pretty good and you could ride the Greenway to get there if you used the Woolwich Ferry instead of the Greenwich tunnel.

I like the idea of Coal Drops Yard and Granary Square next to it. There should be somewhere outsidey to get good food while keeping your bike near, but it will be very London prices there.

You might also be able to find some self-guided walking tours which could be cycled instead of walked, or walked while pushing the bike if restrictions don't allow riding. Dickens may be a good theme.

I like riding around the Covent Garden and Seven Dials area but it can get very busy, the one-ways do not help and there are cobbles.

When it's time to head back to Paddington, head for the river again: CS3 from Excel, CS2 from the Olympic park or C6/CS6 from King's Cross St Pancras. Then CS3 west will take you past the Tower of London (if you come from CS2 or 3, not 6), a view across to the National Theatre, Parliament, a view up Whitehall, Parliament Square, Buckingham House, the Wellington Arch, Hyde Park and almost to Paddington. And you'll probably have some time to look at some of them while you wait at too many traffic lights for too long!
Last edited by mjr on 26 Aug 2021, 10:31am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Keep away from Ackney! :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:25am Keep away from Ackney! :lol:
It's fine in daylight, as is most of London. I'd hesitate to use the Regent's Canal but that's more because it's busy and narrow than the occasional reports of antisocial behaviour.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:34am
al_yrpal wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:25am Keep away from Ackney!
It's fine in daylight, as is most of London. I'd hesitate to use the Regent's Canal but that's more because it's busy and narrow than the occasional reports of antisocial behaviour.
Agreed x3.

And it offers the best way to cycle back to Paddington from the VeloPark.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:39am
mjr wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:34am
al_yrpal wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:25am Keep away from Ackney!
Agreed x3.

The canal? I don't see how that can be considered best unless you like water and walking sections or struggle following signed routes. CS2 and CS3 go past far more interesting things and are mostly easily big enough for traffic volume off-peak, which the canal towpath is not.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Redvee wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 1:16am ... on a train to London .... I've stgarted with a lap or two of Richmond Park
For getting from Paddington to Richmond Park
- there are cycle paths inside Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens which will take you from Brook St, near Paddington to the junction of Queens Gate and Kensington Rd in Kensington. The A315 Kensington Rd / Kensington High St is a reasonable main road ride to the outskirts of Hammersmith, and joins Colet Gardens as below.
- Hammersmith Bridge is currently open to cyclists and pedestrians only, so it makes a good way of crossing the river. There is a rather slow and convoluted cycle path linking Colet Gardens, which joins the A315 as above, to Hammersmith Bridge.

- rather than going twice round Richmond Park, why not go through it once then on to Bushy Park as well? Cyclists can use both the road going North-South across Bushy Park and the path running East-West across it marked as 'Cobblers Walk' on Google Maps. For getting from Richmond Park to Bushy Park, there are cycle paths over Kingston Bridge or cycles can be walked over the footbridge over the Thames at Teddington Lock. It is possible to ride along the Thames towpath between Hampton Court and Busy Park. It is also possible to cycle into Hampton Court Park (usually a lot quieter than the other two) at the gate by Kingston Bridge, cycle along the drive inside the park to the Hampton Court Golf Club, then walk over the grass to a pedestrian gate onto the towpath.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:51am
Jdsk wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:39am
mjr wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:34am It's fine in daylight, as is most of London. I'd hesitate to use the Regent's Canal but that's more because it's busy and narrow than the occasional reports of antisocial behaviour.
Agreed x3.

The canal? I don't see how that can be considered best unless you like water and walking sections or struggle following signed routes. CS2 and CS3 go past far more interesting things and are mostly easily big enough for traffic volume off-peak, which the canal towpath is not.
I was thinking of Victoria Park.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

IMO some of the best of London is viewable from the river, either cycling along the banks or from a boat. No need for the sightseeing boat trips, the Thames Clippers are an easy to use hop on hop off service.
Or you could look at the route for the London Sightseer Audax, (I'm sure google will find it in your preferred format) 100km that takes in many of the sights.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 11:41am IMO some of the best of London is viewable from the river, either cycling along the banks or from a boat. No need for the sightseeing boat trips, the Thames Clippers are an easy to use hop on hop off service.
How do the Clipper fares work if you hop on and off? I seem to recall they cost more than the cycle hire for similar journeys the last time I used them.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 2:15pm
PH wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 11:41am IMO some of the best of London is viewable from the river, either cycling along the banks or from a boat. No need for the sightseeing boat trips, the Thames Clippers are an easy to use hop on hop off service.
How do the Clipper fares work if you hop on and off? I seem to recall they cost more than the cycle hire for similar journeys the last time I used them.
I couldn't remember so just had a look - Bought online in advance £18.40 for a day rover ticket, an extra £2 bought on the pier.
I'm sure there are cheaper ways to get around London, OTOH with a bit of planning you could do a lot of sightseeing for your money. I was happy with the value.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

An update to this from my journey on 1st September.

Had to reserve seats and space for baike and had concerns about bike being out of sight on train, this proved unfounded as the trainset was a 5 carriage train, not 9 carriages as originally planned so seat reservations were'nt recognised so I ended up sitting 6' from my bike on both legs of the journey :D
Rode from Paddington to Richmond Park via Hammersmith Bridge, a quick lap of Richmond Park then onto Greenwich but not on the route I had planned on the Garmin. Got to the Observatory after walking from the main road but couldn't get to the meridian line as I didn't want to pay. Decided it was too tight timewise for Woolwich Ferry so headed across the river via the foot tunnel after carrying my bike down and back up the stairs cause the lifts were out of action. Followed my nose along the river back to Aldgate then onto Soho and Paddington. A total of 45 miles in London that took a leisurely 5 1/2 hours.