'The Slow Left-Hook' - A Telegraphed Punch?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
colin54

'The Slow Left-Hook' - A Telegraphed Punch?

Post by colin54 »

I'm quite resigned/used to and prepared for the 'left-hook' where a car overtakes you and turns left into a side road immediately after passing. Poor and dangerous driving though it is, but a fact of current cycling life unfortunately. It's been my experience previously that it's normally carried out at the speed the car was travelling before the turn followed by braking and a left turn signal (if you're lucky) after it's passed .
I've had a couple of low speed left-hooks recently where the car crawls past at low speed (having presumably already slowed for the turning manouvre). On the first occasion the driver realised (by looking over their shoulder after they had passed me), that they were going to collide with me if they completed the turn and stopped in the middle of the road. I was riding straight-on (though prepared to stop, or turn with them when I realised what was happening).
On the next occasion a couple of evenings ago,again I was riding straight-on past a left turn, heard a car coming from behind, subconsciously I thought the car might turn left, sure enough it crawled past and I saw it's side repeater indicator flashing, this time I stopped to avoid a collision. Again the driver looked over their shoulder and saw me.
The over the shoulder look both drivers gave me led me to believe they both knew where I was distance-wise relative to their vehicle and the junction, but initiated their turn anyway. I found it quite alarming as everything was happening in slow motion almost.
Has anyone else experienced this ?
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Re: 'The Slow Left-Hook' - A Telegraphed Punch?

Post by Jdsk »

Yes. And I'd guess that most of us have experienced most of the possible combinations. And for many of us that's both while riding a bike and while driving a car.

Good to hear that you avoided the possible collisions and injuries.

Apart from their poor driving when you look back at these do you think that you could have done anything differently?

Thanks

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

[quote=Jdsk post_id=1633591 time=1630055306 user_id=46950

Apart from their poor driving when you look back at these do you think that you could have done anything differently?

Jonathan
[/quote]
Thank you Jonathan.
That's an interesting question. I'm quite used to taking a primary position on e.g blind bends etc, but hadn't considered using it at junctions before now, so that's a possibility . I'm not totally convinced of it as a technique though, I suspect most motorists don't understand it and see it possibly as 'getting in my way', causing confusion/frustration and potentially moving an accident caused by an overtake over onto the opposite side of the road with the extra risk that might entail.
Off for a ride now, have a safe 'un yourselves.
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

I was wondering about positioning. And also about turning and looking, both to inform my own decision making and for the beneficial effects of engaging the driver's attention.

Enjoy the ride. : - )

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

You're better out a bit at road junctions anyway since a driver coming from the left from the junction may not see you if you're too close the the side of the road. I always move out a bit more approaching left hand road junctions making sure the car behind is far enough back to be able to react to my new position. If the car behind is approaching too fast to be able to move out more then I stay tight and slow right down to allow it to pass first.
I am here. Where are you?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

It is better to think of the primary position as your default position and treat a move to the left or right as a deliberate decision to signal your intention to other road users. At the approach to a junction or on a moving to the left or right is an indication that you are about to turn. Between junctions it is an indication that you are happy for people to overtake within the lane at that point.

If you think of it that way then you are not moving out to take the lane, just returning to the your normal default road position.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

Not signaling or signaling late is also a pet peeve of mine :evil:

Most drivers in my area are quite aware of cyclist before turning left but I've had the occasional left hook. Out of habit I tend to look and try make eye contact before approaching left turns to remind them of my presence, which seems to work. I also tend to slow down slightly when the car is slightly in front of me before junction but most of the time they signal and wait for me to pass.

You can't really do anything by the time they are in the middle of the turn because you're right at their blind spot. So I find that the best way to avoid the situation is by making sure they know you're there before they make the turn.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for all the replies, food for thought .
Here's a picture (click) of the second junction where I stopped to avoid collision, the car was level with me approximately by the drain cover in the foreground of the picture, I stopped to avoid contact just before where my bike is parked in the photo'.
It was the slow speed of the car and the deliberate initiation of the turn when the driver had seen me is what's perplexing to me, they might have only been doing 20mph max.
The irony of the sign's wording on the post did not escape me when I took the picture yesterday.
Maybe the drive thought it read 'Kill Your Speed, and a Cyclist'.
P1140622.JPG
Take care out there !
Nu-Fogey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

At least the grass verges are clean.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

colin54 wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 8:12am Maybe the drive thought it read 'Kill Your Speed, and a Cyclist'.
P1140622.JPG
Take care out there !
Given the bend / limited forward vision, I'm surprised that the driver thought is was safe to overtake there! (But maybe I shouldn't be, given the subsequent left hook...)
"42"
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Lucky it wasn't a "Right Turn Clyde"

https://images.app.goo.gl/jdx1cK3F77dXG2Se9
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I very rarely get left hooked (road positioning possibly).
The last time I recall being left hooked they started their turn quite wide, so there was plenty of space for me to follow the drivers trajectory on their inside, thumping the near side windows as we went. They never stopped, but just carried on.
I turned round to resume my straight on path, with a voice (cyclist catching me up) saying someting about "intersting driving"(!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 8:12amIt was the slow speed of the car and the deliberate initiation of the turn when the driver had seen me is what's perplexing to me, they might have only been doing 20mph max.
Is it possible that the driver was uncertain which junction to take, and then got overloaded?

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cowsham wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 5:11pm Lucky it wasn't a "Right Turn Clyde"

https://images.app.goo.gl/jdx1cK3F77dXG2Se9
:lol:
I'd almost forgotten those pair of films, good-hearted light comedy, a bit out of character for Clint Eastwood at the time.
I saw the first one at the flicks in Gt Yarmouth, 1979 !
Jdsk wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 9:53am Is it possible that the driver was uncertain which junction to take, and then got overloaded?

Jonathan

Anythings possible, the situation didn't have a dithering / uncertain driver vibe though.
Thanks again for all the replies, I've got it of my chest sufficiently I think.

Stay safe & enjoy the ride !
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 11:37amThanks again for all the replies, I've got it of my chest sufficiently I think.
I'm really impressed with how you handled the responses, including mine, on a notoriously touchy subject.

Thanks

Jonathan