105 to go wireless?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nigel8322

105 to go wireless?

Post by nigel8322 »

I've just read that the Di2 gear changer will appear in the 105 groupset next year. The manual changer will still be available but only with 12 speed sprocket. Both will possibly be welcomed by the racing fraternity. I've never found the gaps between gears on 8 speed sprockets to be excessive so I wonder if this 'progress' is forcing those of us who do day rides or cycle tours to use rather delicate components? It is getting harder to find replacement parts for older groupsets, possibly made worse by the current world shortage of bicycle parts.
Bicycles are seen as a cheap, reliable means of 'green' transport. I wonder if the bicycle industry is heading in a different direction.
Maillot Rouge

Re: 105 to go wireless?

Post by Maillot Rouge »

What makes you think Di2 is delicate?It’s no less robust than mechanical.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I thought only a few days ago shimano was saying they had no plans to bring di2 to 105? There was some speculation that 12 spd mechanical might head that way though. This might end up making 105 a bit of a mess with multiple speeds in the same way deore is for MTB presently (only that is worse as it has 10, 11 and 12 spd variants!*)

There seem to be a few concerns over lack of availability of lower speed kit, I think this might be a little misguided. Yes, the global shortage has largely cleared out all the new old stock that was lying about but Shimano's published 'current' produced components covers everything down to some 6 spd freewheel components. I may be wrong but I've seen little to suggest that the current 8spd claris/altus and 9spd sora/alivio gear is poor quality or unreliable. Yes it's in short supply right now, but so is everything else, that's not because they've stopped producing lower speed groupset components, it's just a case of bike demand >>>> bike supply.

*plus a 10spd durability focused 'linkglide' version, with a different, incompatible, cable pull of course :roll:
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

A naive question, is Di2 shifting compatible with all chain ring sizes? 105 often comes with 50/34 or larger. I changed mine to 44/28 to preserve my knees around the Dales. In theory, with the correct derailleurs, could Di2 be configured to work?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

nigel8322 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 6:45pm Bicycles are seen as a cheap, reliable means of 'green' transport. I wonder if the bicycle industry is heading in a different direction.
Yes but 105 has always been a budget / entry level racing groupset, it's simply not intended for a bike as a cheap means of transport. If you want that, go for a Nexus equipped hybrid or a Claris-equipped "road" bike.

There's a pretty clear hierarchy in Shimano's road groupsets and a reasonably defined refresh timeframe (approx every 4 years). I can't see 105 moving to full electronic only in this iteration. Dura Ace and Ultegra, fair enough, the sales of mechanical at that level are now so low that it's not worth continuing so 105 will be the next groupset to be available as an electric / mechanical choice, although whether it'll also go to 12-speed, who knows?

Not sure there's much evidence to suggest that 10, 11 or 12 speed is any more delicate than 8? If anything I'd suggest it'd be the other way round; the use of higher end materials in the higher-end groupsets should make them stiffer/lighter/stronger.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

geocycle wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 4:08pm A naive question, is Di2 shifting compatible with all chain ring sizes? 105 often comes with 50/34 or larger. I changed mine to 44/28 to preserve my knees around the Dales. In theory, with the correct derailleurs, could Di2 be configured to work?
Yes.
Mine is set up for 48/32.You just pick your gear combo or nearest to it from the list on the App or online when doing the initial set-up.
Clever innit?
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Hellhound wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:17am
geocycle wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 4:08pm A naive question, is Di2 shifting compatible with all chain ring sizes? 105 often comes with 50/34 or larger. I changed mine to 44/28 to preserve my knees around the Dales. In theory, with the correct derailleurs, could Di2 be configured to work?
Yes.
Mine is set up for 48/32.You just pick your gear combo or nearest to it from the list on the App or online when doing the initial set-up.
Clever innit?
Yes, clever indeed. Thanks, that’s very helpful
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi reading the latest cycling weekly.

Ultegra and Dura ace are made in a different factory and methods to 105 / tiagra etc.

This would make it less likely for it to trickle down to 105.

This explains why 105 is a lot heavier than ultegra - nearer to tiagra.

Cheers James
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

105 Di2 is coming.
Just read it cycling tips.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/shimano ... is-coming/
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 11:35am 105 Di2 is coming.
Just read it cycling tips.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/shimano ... is-coming/
All speculation at the mo' but I think it's a logical step for Shimano.