Half century!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

Re: Half century!

Post by simonhill »

Well done.

One thing I often wonder about these one off distances is could you do it again the next day, or were you off the bike for a few days?

As a tourer, it's more important that the I can repeat (and repeat) the distance I do. Sadly now often less than 50mpd.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Had two days off the bike - could do it again but I don't have time in my life to give five hours multiple times per week to cycling. I don't often manage to get out more than once a week at any distance.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The bit i like was mention of a cafe stop! And as for botty comfort, i could say it gets better with repetition but the truth is sometimes my posterior aches after 30 minutes, others i last several hours, its all rather down to luck on the day but a cafe stop never hurts!

Congrats on making your target :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Don't blame your shorts, blame your bum It was just a bit longer than it was used to. Do the ride regularly , or at least the time, and things bed in.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:37pm Well done.

One thing I often wonder about these one off distances is could you do it again the next day, or were you off the bike for a few days?

As a tourer, it's more important that the I can repeat (and repeat) the distance I do. Sadly now often less than 50mpd.
July last year i got suckered into a Strava challenge of 1600km in the month which with my usual ride pattern of thrice a week meant 150km rides every time i went out. Except that i did a minimum of 160km every time and twice over 200km! a lot of miles to be sure, pretty sure i could've done some back to back but i usually have a rest day between rides so i can catch up on real life! On tour i rarely go much past 100km/day but i can keep that up for a week or more at a time if i need to but i usually factor in a rest day at least once a week 'on tour', i'm on holiday not paying penance!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Darkman wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 7:33pm Had two days off the bike - could do it again but I don't have time in my life to give five hours multiple times per week to cycling. I don't often manage to get out more than once a week at any distance.
Very good achievement and immensely satisfying, I would imagine,considering your starting point,particularly on one ride a week!Incidentally,its only taken me 40yrs to get really comfy in the saddle !Not strictly true actually,more like periods of discomfort requiring a change,either saddle,shorts,position on the bike,use of creams etc.Keep an open mind on this as saddle comfort is crucial.One ride a week isn,t ideal ,can you get shorter rides in or even a turbo ?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Good achievement, I did my first 100miler this year, was quite surprised I felt OK at the end and could have done a wee bit more.
I have since found that doing rides between 70 and 100 miles is fine, but my riding buddy and I just have to keep reminding each other to keep a slower in the first half, especially up the hills to avoid knackering ourselves too early!
We tend to ride a bit quicker on our usual sub 60 mile rides.

Last winter I bought a smart turbo trainer and rode regularly using zwift when the weather was inclement and I was amazed how much fitter on the bike I was when we started more rides in the spring!