Half century!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Darkman

Half century!

Post by Darkman »

Today I completed my first half-century! Finished up at 54.2 miles with just over 1,000ft of climbs (most of that in the first ten).

Took my usual 1.5L of energy drink, removed some non-essentials out of my saddle bag (spare tube, CO2 since the wife was on rescue standby) to make space for cheese sandwiches. And did my first ever cafe stop at 40 miles.

It took me longer than it would have probably taken some of you (4 hours 15 moving time), but I wasn't out for land speed records, I wanted to get the distance.

I wanted to do a 50 last year, but topped out at 44. I did the same 44 route last week, and woke up all determined today!

The 23 stone me of two years ago would be so proud. :mrgreen:
Campag

Re: Half century!

Post by Campag »

A personal achievement is still worthwhile. We'll never win the Tour de France however that's not the point.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well done!!!!

My mileages have taken a dive over the past couple or so years, and a Half Century is quite an achievement.
Going to do a 40 on Monday (hopefully on Monday) and I'm looking forward to it.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Chapeaux as they say in France.
NUKe

Post by MikeF »

Personal achievements are the best. I'm at an age now where I just want to keep going. :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Also worth mentioning, cyclists everywhere today! Pretty much all of them said hello which never fails to put a smile on my face, but none so much as the one who excitedly shouted to me "there's a massive heron over there!"

He was right, there was! I stopped for a look, as you do.

It's the longest I've been out on the bike and enjoyed all of it. My backside, however, would disagree. :mrgreen: I don't think my DHB shorts were really designed for four-hour rides.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Darkman wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 7:10pm Today I completed my first half-century! Finished up at 54.2 miles with just over 1,000ft of climbs (most of that in the first ten).

Took my usual 1.5L of energy drink, removed some non-essentials out of my saddle bag (spare tube, CO2 since the wife was on rescue standby) to make space for cheese sandwiches. And did my first ever cafe stop at 40 miles.

It took me longer than it would have probably taken some of you (4 hours 15 moving time), but I wasn't out for land speed records, I wanted to get the distance.

I wanted to do a 50 last year, but topped out at 44. I did the same 44 route last week, and woke up all determined today!

The 23 stone me of two years ago would be so proud. :mrgreen:
Lovely reading your post, well done.

A century* is now well within your grasp!

*A metric one first, perhaps...
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Well Done!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Congratulations. What's next?

Jonathan
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Probably 63mi/100k. But not today! :mrgreen:

Actually I want to do a lil charity ride for the Lincs Air Ambulance. I've never needed it, but I want it to be there if I do.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Well done 8)
Time and speed don't matter,50 is 50 and enjoying it is the most important thing :)
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Well done, Darkman. Really pleased for you :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Very well done!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Well done.

I did 50 today too. I felt done in too! So you should be proud of yourself!

A century isn't much harder so long as you don't have any massive climbs and you have a decent lunch to refuel the legs.

Cheers James
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Chapeau
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”