One close call too many

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
1982john

One close call too many

Post by 1982john »

After many months of very little cycling over the summer holidays and at the start of the new term, I've tried to get back into regular rides.

I have a 20-mile commute which I have been occasionally doing of which is mostly nice rural roads. There Is a short stretch of about 300m which is up an A road. Friday morning at about 7.30 - in which had I been enjoying the bright morning - a car overtook on the other side of the road and narrowly missed me by inches which had it hit would surely have been instant death.

I was wearing my hi-vis had a strong front light on but just like the only time I've been hit by a car this didn't seem to matter.

It's really put me off any thought of road cycling. I just don't feel cycling is popular enough for it to be in the consciousness of drivers. Unfortunately running and other impact sports leave me with injuries so I am not sure what to do as without regular exercise my weight and health tend to deteriorate - this was why I was determined to get back cycling regularly.
roubaixtuesday

Re: One close call too many

Post by roubaixtuesday »

1982john wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:42pm After many months of very little cycling over the summer holidays and at the start of the new term, I've tried to get back into regular rides.

I have a 20-mile commute which I have been occasionally doing of which is mostly nice rural roads. There Is a short stretch of about 300m which is up an A road. Friday morning at about 7.30 - in which had I been enjoying the bright morning - a car overtook on the other side of the road and narrowly missed me by inches which had it hit would surely have been instant death.

I was wearing my hi-vis had a strong front light on but just like the only time I've been hit by a car this didn't seem to matter.

It's really put me off any thought of road cycling. I just don't feel cycling is popular enough for it to be in the consciousness of drivers. Unfortunately running and other impact sports leave me with injuries so I am not sure what to do as without regular exercise my weight and health tend to deteriorate - this was why I was determined to get back cycling regularly.
Sorry to hear of your all too common experience, which as a regular commuter with a not dissimilar route I very much empathise with.

All I would say is that all the evidence is that the fear such encounters is far greater than the physical risk, which is negligible, despite appearances to the contrary.

Of course, what you choose to do in response to your feelings is entirely up to you. I would certainly offer no criticism if you did decide not to ride a route you feel unsafe on.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Many sympathies, I have had this happen to me, it is terrifying.

On less major roads and at lower speeds I have resorted to playing chicken with oncoming overtaking motorists by moving out and riding straight at them. Happily I've always prevailed (the oncoming drivers braking and pulling in - or in one case coming to a dead stop) but I must admit to only doing this when I was sure I had an escape route :? and I wouldn't recommend it.

I do however take my lead from Josie Dew, who narrowly survived a kidnap and attempted rape whilst on one of her first solo tours. Her reaction was 'why should the actions of one nutter stop me doing what I love?' Many years on she is still alive and kicking :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Stradageek wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 5:56pmOn less major roads and at lower speeds I have resorted to playing chicken with oncoming overtaking motorists by moving out and riding straight at them.
I do that when I'm blinded by headlights, mainly because I can't see where the kerb/ditch/potholes are.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

Sorry to hear that. We can only hope that the driver also feels shaken that they almost injured and killed someone that they would be more careful.

This would put me off cycling too. If I was in the same situation I would consider other routes which may be safer but appreciate that this may be impractical in a lot of places.
simonix

Post by simonix »

Still new to the forum so unsure whether I’m allowed to post links. But see below dash am footage of a cyclist being knocked off his bike in Leicestershire, somersaulting over the car bonnet!

https://www.facebook.com/39417499396338 ... 08507/?d=n

The comments made by drivers is frankly disgusting! No remorse, just ridicule and the normal “shouldn’t be on the road” remarks, etc.

After numerous near misses over this summer around my local town, it’s enough to deter me from daring to go out over the autumn/winter months with reduced visibility. Sad! I’m going to miss my daily rides to the shops, etc. I’ll have to keep to gravel routes at the weekends for now.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

1982john wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:42pm A mostly nice rural roads. There Is a short stretch of about 300m which is up an A road.
Have to admit sounds like a fantastic commute. Wouldn't be possible to walk the bike along the verge for 300m's? It's a successful approach I've used on crossing the A 1 (Nb. There's a good 20-30 miles with superb country roads either side - but 300-500metres on a busy single carriage road blocking an easy ride across the A 1)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Don't worry our government is resolving the issues.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _print.pdf
Bullshit bingo anyone??
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.