Group ride

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Group ride

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Had a great group ride last night (not specifically a cycling group, more CAMRA, beer was substantially involved). We met up at a micro pub in Burton and cycled to Tutbury and back via a few pubs. Ending at the Royal Oak with pizza and beer.
Beer and Bikes.jpg
robing

Re: Group ride

Post by robing »

I nearly bought a house up that way. What's the area like for cycling?
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Plenty of hills and some flat bits in the Trent Valley. Some nice country lanes and some very busy A roads. Plenty of respectful and decent drivers and lots of moronic poo-bags.

In other words no better or worse than anywhere else away from the big cities I suppose.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

It was a great ride but slightly tainted by a couple of motorists.

1. One of the younger lads on the ride (mid thirties, somewhat over weight but game) had no lights (I don't think he's a regular cyclist) so one of us was in front and I rode behind him and slightly out towards primary. This motorist decides to overtake with vehicles coming the other way at high speed missing me by 6 inches. Genuinely dangerous and completely intentional.

2. Approaching traffic lights to turn right (two lanes), and clearly indicating my intention, when I was overtaken, the vehicle then swerved across in front of me into the left lane.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Generally i have noticed that the driving standards in the area ( apparently we are in the same village and i think i might have mentioned it before) has dropped considerably since the end of the second lockdown , close passes most days i commute even with good road position etc drivers just want to squeeze by as if your not even there.

If your interested in group rides i ride with velo moira who run up to 3 groups on a saturday morning for various levels ranging from easy rider of around 40 miles up to around 50 ish miles for the faster riders then on a sunday we have the faster paced ride which can be 55-60 and 18 average .
Regarding hills in the area its like you say there is a variety of hills ranging from long and shallow to omfg !, an average 55 mile normally gives around 3000 feet of climbing.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

CyberKnight wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 5:41pm Generally i have noticed that the driving standards in the area ( apparently we are in the same village and i think i might have mentioned it before) has dropped considerably since the end of the second lockdown , close passes most days i commute even with good road position etc drivers just want to squeeze by as if your not even there.

If your interested in group rides i ride with velo moira who run up to 3 groups on a saturday morning for various levels ranging from easy rider of around 40 miles up to around 50 ish miles for the faster riders then on a sunday we have the faster paced ride which can be 55-60 and 18 average .
Regarding hills in the area its like you say there is a variety of hills ranging from long and shallow to omfg !, an average 55 mile normally gives around 3000 feet of climbing.
I trust you are familiar with Greysich Lane and Piston Hill....

I'm a bit of a slow pottering type, generally average about 12mph for rides up to 30 miles, more like 10mph for anything longer. So far this year I'm averaging just over 10 miles a day (I'm retired so I have the time). Weekends tend to be busy, particularly since my partner got me a season ticket for my other love Barnsley FC for my birthday. If you see an old git on either a burgundy touring bike or a grey Giant hybrid, possibly with a bright red BFC top, say hello.

We live down the bottom of Newhall, Fairfield Crescent.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I lived at Mayfair for many years,wellwood rd ATM, Boardman Carbon for summer. I think the easy riders AVG about 14 , probably have seen you about 😄
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:25pm
CyberKnight wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 5:41pm Generally i have noticed that the driving standards in the area ( apparently we are in the same village and i think i might have mentioned it before) has dropped considerably since the end of the second lockdown , close passes most days i commute even with good road position etc drivers just want to squeeze by as if your not even there.

I trust you are familiar with Greysich Lane and Piston Hill....

I'm a bit of a slow pottering type, generally average about 12mph for rides up to 30 miles, more like 10mph for anything longer. So far this year I'm averaging just over 10 miles a day (I'm retired so I have the time). Weekends tend to be busy, particularly since my partner got me a season ticket for my other love Barnsley FC for my birthday. If you see an old git on either a burgundy touring bike or a grey Giant hybrid, possibly with a bright red BFC top, say hello.

We live down the bottom of Newhall, Fairfield Crescent.
This was a bit of a bastich the other week , short but slippy with diesel and wet
https://veloviewer.com/segment/810451/Buttermilk+Hill
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

CyberKnight wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 7:36am This was a bit of a bastich the other week , short but slippy with diesel and wet
https://veloviewer.com/segment/810451/Buttermilk+Hill
Never done that one, I rarely get over that way but occasionally get over Anslow/Tutbury/Rolleston/Marston way.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Another one i like , not to steep but a nice drag is the road from chilcote up to no mans heath
https://bikeclimbs.com/climb/united-kin ... eath-climb
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

CyberKnight wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:48am Another one i like , not to steep but a nice drag is the road from chilcote up to no mans heath
https://bikeclimbs.com/climb/united-kin ... eath-climb
Yes, done that a few times...