No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paradiddle

Re: No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Post by Paradiddle »

As a Londoner today...

No fuel - doesn't matter, I don't own a car. I'll take my bike :wink:
Wind and torrential rain, flooded roads - that's ok, I'll take the tube :(
Tube lines flooded, signal failures - back home I go :cry:

Fingers crossed the ISP holds up.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

ChrisP100 wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 11:38am Love the physical and mental challenge of riding in the wind and rain. Some of my favourite rides have been in diabolical weather. :D
Does that include commuter or utility rides??
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

MikeF wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:21pm
ChrisP100 wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 11:38am Love the physical and mental challenge of riding in the wind and rain. Some of my favourite rides have been in diabolical weather. :D
Commuter rides.

Sometimes when the the alarm goes off at 0550 and the rain is hammering on the windows it would be so easy to just get in the car, but I just force myself out and I usually enjoy myself. :D
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

ChrisP100 wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 11:00pm Commuter rides.

Sometimes when the the alarm goes off at 0550 and the rain is hammering on the windows it would be so easy to just get in the car, but I just force myself out and I usually enjoy myself. :D
That's the spirit, pal - spoken like a true cyclist! Unlike some of the lightweights on this forum... :roll: :lol:

(Ok I'll post that and fess up to the fact that I'm a pure hypocrite in the morning. :wink:)

Nah, seriously, you're right. I'm fairly sure most of us have been 'compromised' into going out when we think we shouldn't and then wished we'd gone out when we shouldn't more often and maybe even should in the future. But then we don't (or we do). :)
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

When I was commuting to work, a very short ride, I cycled no matter what the weather , I can't say that every day was enjoyable, some were fairly horrible! The day it was so windy it was hard to actually stop with the wind behind me wasn't great or when I had to carry the bike through the snow as much as pedal it :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

VinceLedge wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:09am When I was commuting to work, a very short ride, I cycled no matter what the weather , I can't say that every day was enjoyable, some were fairly horrible! The day it was so windy it was hard to actually stop with the wind behind me wasn't great or when I had to carry the bike through the snow as much as pedal it :lol:
My commute too was short, though with a climb, so I used to lengthen it and include a pause by the sea, where there was a shelter to sit in when needed.
There was one occasion when snow forced me to walk the short route.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Mike Sales wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:22am
VinceLedge wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:09am When I was commuting to work, a very short ride, I cycled no matter what the weather , I can't say that every day was enjoyable, some were fairly horrible! The day it was so windy it was hard to actually stop with the wind behind me wasn't great or when I had to carry the bike through the snow as much as pedal it :lol:
My commute too was short, though with a climb, so I used to lengthen it and include a pause by the sea, where there was a shelter to sit in when needed.
My commute is fairly short too (6.4 miles) and also has a relatively short climb. However, walking it would easily take me 1h40m or more so it isn't an option. I've ridden it in snow, which was fairly emotional, but you just have to be brave. The right tyres also help :wink:

Having said that, I'm not completely mad, and if the conditions were bad enough I would probably think twice. I would always gauge it against driving, and if it's too bad to drive I'd probably not cycle it either. :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ChrisP100 wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 12:50pm
Mike Sales wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:22am
My commute is fairly short too (6.4 miles) and also has a relatively short climb. However, walking it would easily take me 1h40m or more so it isn't an option. I've ridden it in snow, which was fairly emotional, but you just have to be brave. The right tyres also help :wink:

Having said that, I'm not completely mad, and if the conditions were bad enough I would probably think twice. I would always gauge it against driving, and if it's too bad to drive I'd probably not cycle it either. :lol:
I have never had the choice of a car.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Pete Owens wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 12:17am Certainly one cyclist is enjoying the panic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ob-LfkwSWg
Apparently, he came back later riding a horse!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

ChrisP100 wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 11:00pm
Commuter rides.

5.50 ? thats a weekend lie in :)
mine for early shift is set at 3.45 am and on the road for 4.20 am luckily in the uk we dont really get many really wet days i reckon on only maybe 4-5 days in the whole year when i am going to get properly wet .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

CyberKnight wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 12:53pm
ChrisP100 wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 11:00pm
Commuter rides.

mine for early shift is set at 3.45 am and on the road for 4.20 am luckily in the uk we dont really get many really wet days i reckon on only maybe 4-5 days in the whole year when i am going to get properly wet .
Depends whereabouts in the UK!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/le ... -in-the-uk
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Commuter rides.

[/quote]

[/quote]
The timing of my commute can be critical. A advance/delay of just 15 minutes could easily be the difference between a proper soaking and a relatively dry ride.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

-3 c coming home on late shift in the early hours of thursday morning , not really dressed for it as i went in at 2 pm and it was more like 10 c so got caught out .Luckily i had my windproof in the pannier and thick gloves but the legs only had thin legwarmers so they weer a bit chilly !
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Mean wind speed of 16mph , gusting 31mph and heavy rain this morning on my ride to work. About 5 degrees c when I set off.

Absolutely LOVED it :)
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

ChrisP100 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:15am Mean wind speed of 16mph , gusting 31mph and heavy rain this morning on my ride to work. About 5 degrees c when I set off.

Absolutely LOVED it :)
I think what tends to happen is, you hate the thought of it but you love it when you get out there.