No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisP100

Re: No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Post by ChrisP100 »

kylecycler wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 1:07pm
ChrisP100 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:15am Mean wind speed of 16mph , gusting 31mph and heavy rain this morning on my ride to work. About 5 degrees c when I set off.

Absolutely LOVED it :)
I think what tends to happen is, you hate the thought of it but you love it when you get out there.
It most definitely is a state of mind. I find checking the weather and having my kit ready the night before really helps.

I always have that old mountaineering adage in mind: 'Be bold; start cold'. It's amazing how quickly you warm up once you get moving if you've got the right clobber on. It's just that first couple of minute as I'm getting my bike out of the shed and putting on my gloves and overshoes...

My shorts/legwarmers were soaked through this morning by the time I got to work, but when I was moving I hardly noticed it.

I've definitely got a bit of work to do on my bike when I get home this evening (rinse, dry and lube) :)
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I hate being cold, so riding when the temperatures are hovering around 40F or so, as they were this morning, I will not ride. Wimp? probably, but a warm wimp inside the house. :lol:
I also never start riding when it is raining, if it comes down whilst on the bike, I suffer it, but sharing the road with cars spraying me is not the most exciting thing to be doing.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

snowing , no riding even if i could !
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Loads of trees down blocking roads. Also still quite blustery with potentially dangerous cross winds. Plus cold. Equals indoor turbo for me today.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Tiggertoo wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 3:42pm I hate being cold, so riding when the temperatures are hovering around 40F or so, as they were this morning, I will not ride. Wimp? probably, but a warm wimp inside the house. :lol:
I also never start riding when it is raining, if it comes down whilst on the bike, I suffer it, but sharing the road with cars spraying me is not the most exciting thing to be doing.
Last winter I prepped for my morning commute as I always do by checking the weather and laying my kit out ready, fully expecting it to be cold the next day. In the morning I togged up which took a while as I had 3 layers to put on. I stepped out of the door and trudged to the shed, and as I did the cold hit me and it was almost painful to breathe. I pulled my neck warmer up over my mouth, fumbled with the shed keys and found the lock to be frozen solid...

Now at that point I should have just turned around and gone back in, got changed and driven to work, but it probably wouldn't have been much of a time difference overall as it would have taken me 10 minutes to defrost the car so I just persevered with the lock, breathing on it to free it (took about 60 seconds), opened up the shed, got my bike out and set off.

The first couple of minutes were VERY sketchy, but once on the treated road surfaces it wasn't too bad (apart from my ass being frozen solid). The local roads near work were also pretty slippy, but I made it unscathed.

In hindsight it was absolute madness, but learning took place and I (probably) wouldn't do it again :wink: