No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Post by simonhill »

Typical.

Some drivers who may think, even if albeit temporarily, ditching their cars in favour of bike or foot, face strong winds and torrential rain.

Sadly a lost chance to temp a few to try a different way.

Hypocrite alert. I'll be driving to do my weekly shopping this morning.
mjr

Re: No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:19am Sadly a lost chance to temp a few to try a different way.

Well, exactly. If not even you shop by bike, why would they?

I also don't understand how weekly shopping gives you fresh food at the end of the week, especially with supermarket veg that has already mostly been kept in their warehouses too long.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

yep we'll be driving to do our shop...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chainsawing and log-splitting earlier and got rained off.
Sitting with a cuppa now, and now the sun is shining brightly.

We'll be driving to a nearby village and picking some apples from the garden of a friend. Taking the dog with us. Then, me and doggie will be dropped off and we'll walk down the local footpaths and along the river bank to the pub! :D

I'll make sure I'm well-prepared for the possible rain. No wind here to speak of.
Mick F. Cornwall
sjs

Post by sjs »

We get most of our shopping delivered and we have an electric car.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My dad was (briefly) a meteorlogical officer onboard an aircraft carrier, back just after the 2WW. I inherited some of his books on the subject, which he took an active interest in, all his life. Today's Metcheck forecast looks "mixed", shall we say?! I note with disappointment & some confusion that there is a near-certainty of rain later today, but that there will be very little of it!!
screenshot of Monday & Tuesday on Metcheck
screenshot of Monday & Tuesday on Metcheck
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Back home from a short ride of 14 miles with the Mrs on the back. (Tandem)
Missed the showers, now supping tea and toast. Still gusty winds, had to recover some plants in pots which had blown over. Now relocated closer to the house to get some shelter. I will be driving the Mrs to her appointment for her covid booster after lunch and combine it with some shopping. Usually use the bus for shopping, but it's not convenient for her appointment. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you saw the TV weather forecast yesterday evening, you would have seen a long dark blue mass sweeping eastwards across the country. That was over me when I posted. Lots of rain.

Shipping forecast at 12:05 had my area - Thames - as cyclonic 6 to gale 8, dropping to 4 (from memory). For me that is windy.

Sounds like it is better in the West at the moment, but another depression (meteorological not mental health) heading your way.

Whatever - it ain't conducive to luring motorists out of their cars.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

mjr wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:48amsupermarket veg that has already mostly been kept in their warehouses too long.
Or stuck on a driverless lorry somewhere....
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

simonhill wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:19am Typical.

Some drivers who may think, even if albeit temporarily, ditching their cars in favour of bike or foot, face strong winds and torrential rain.

Sadly a lost chance to temp a few to try a different way.

I generally commute whatever the weather. This mornings commute was particularly emotional due to the 20mph headwind.

Luckily I beat the rain, as I got into work at just after 7am :lol:
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Low rider recumbent. The only time I notice wind is when my hat blows off.

Did the weekly shop in a neighbouring town with two Ortliebs and a rack top bag.

Started in light drizzle, did most of the trip in full sun. The thing with ‘isolated showers’ is they are hit and miss. Usually more miss than hit. But even if they hit I have good waterproofs, and the bike isn’t made of sugar.

Most of all, I’m out in the fresh air getting moderate exercise, not sitting on my slowly spreading a** in a stuffy box that actually concentrates traffic fumes. Takes a big change of mindset for most people to realise which scenario is actually less stressful and more comfortable.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Shopped by bike today :) the winds had dropped so it was just showers
SupermanVsSnowman

Post by SupermanVsSnowman »

It's ironic they got rovers on Mars already but they can't even make flying cars back on Earth. At least not viable, mass produced ones available to the general public. Forget all this electric crap, there'll still be gridlock unless they can make ones that can fly. Doesn't necessarily need to be a car but any form of personal aerial vehicle would be a massive step forward. Helicopters are a bit out of most people price range and are a bit impractical.
OH CACK! I just dropped my d-lock, shattering the JWST primary mirrors! I'll just say I was on the toilet when I heard something smash.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

SupermanVsSnowman wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 1:23pm It's ironic they got rovers on Mars already but they can't even make flying cars back on Earth. At least not viable, mass produced ones available to the general public. Forget all this electric crap, there'll still be gridlock unless they can make ones that can fly. Doesn't necessarily need to be a car but any form of personal aerial vehicle would be a massive step forward. Helicopters are a bit out of most people price range and are a bit impractical.
I understand that the testing of competence and heath, and the flight plan monitoring, of aircraft pilots are a good deal more rigorous than for motor drivers.
I would like to see the requirements for flyiers applied to drivers.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

SupermanVsSnowman wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 1:23pmthere'll still be gridlock unless they can make ones that can fly.
I can just imagine what it'll be like with gridlock in the sky every rush hour. Crashed flying cars raining down on a daily basis.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche