No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kylecycler

Re: No Fuel and it's Windy and Raining

Post by kylecycler »

SupermanVsSnowman wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 1:23pm It's ironic they got rovers on Mars already but they can't even make flying cars back on Earth. At least not viable, mass produced ones available to the general public. Forget all this electric crap, there'll still be gridlock unless they can make ones that can fly. Doesn't necessarily need to be a car but any form of personal aerial vehicle would be a massive step forward. Helicopters are a bit out of most people price range and are a bit impractical.
Just to illustrate your point, flying cars aren't a new idea, of course...

crosby flying car.jpg

The work of Frederick Gordon Crosby, staff artist at The Autocar magazine. Don't know the date, but he died in 1943.

Maybe we'll all have personal flying backpacks some day, you never know, but whatever powers them will still have to come from somewhere.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Also the noise.

flying cars and drone deliveries are dystopian techbro disasters.

There's an easy answer to gridlock a few hundred miles in a southish of easterly direction, as they would say, "put a coat on, you're not made of sugar."
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Flying cars? There’s already gridlock in the air, (or was, pre-COVID). I once visited a small airfield where the cafe bar had a glass top over old aeronautical charts of the area. For a non-pilot it was an eye-opener. Look out the window and you saw nearly empty sky. Look at the charts and you saw not only the towns villages and roads but also a complex network of radio navigation beacons, air corridors, no-fly zones, stacking loops etc etc. And then you realise it’s 3 dimensional, with different routes at different levels. Doesn’t take much imagination to see how quickly all that could clog up around major hubs if traffic reached a certain level.

Flying cars is a horrible idea. It’s bad enough round here with fat cats helicopters, private jets, micro lights and various kinds of flying motorbike. If it gets any worse I will be investing in a pair of oerlikons and some barrage balloons.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't recall ever doing shopping by car, even when I owned one.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

recumbentpanda wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 2:30pm Flying cars? There’s already gridlock in the air, (or was, pre-COVID). I once visited a small airfield where the cafe bar had a glass top over old aeronautical charts of the area. For a non-pilot it was an eye-opener. Look out the window and you saw nearly empty sky. Look at the charts and you saw not only the towns villages and roads but also a complex network of radio navigation beacons, air corridors, no-fly zones, stacking loops etc etc. And then you realise it’s 3 dimensional, with different routes at different levels. Doesn’t take much imagination to see how quickly all that could clog up around major hubs if traffic reached a certain level.

Flying cars is a horrible idea. It’s bad enough round here with fat cats helicopters, private jets, micro lights and various kinds of flying motorbike. If it gets any worse I will be investing in a pair of oerlikons and some barrage balloons.
I'm seven and a half miles in a straight line from a provincial airport with international flights. In 2019 it had about one tenth the passenger numbers of Heathrow but even at that level and this distance, the flight paths are visibly and audibly busy.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

recumbentpanda wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 2:30pm Flying cars? There’s already gridlock in the air, (or was, pre-COVID). I once visited a small airfield where the cafe bar had a glass top over old aeronautical charts of the area. For a non-pilot it was an eye-opener. Look out the window and you saw nearly empty sky. Look at the charts and you saw not only the towns villages and roads but also a complex network of radio navigation beacons, air corridors, no-fly zones, stacking loops etc etc. And then you realise it’s 3 dimensional, with different routes at different levels. Doesn’t take much imagination to see how quickly all that could clog up around major hubs if traffic reached a certain level.

Look at flight radar24 really interesting in a geeky way!

Cheers James
rjb

Post by rjb »

IMG-20210929-WA0000.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

So what if it's windy and raining? Bunch of wimps (including me!). :roll: :wink:
MikeytheBikey

Post by MikeytheBikey »

Weirdly, I quite enjoy cycling in the rain; it's invigorating. Not too keen on cycling into headwinds. I don't find cycling when it's really hot particularly pleasant either!
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Certainly one cyclist is enjoying the panic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ob-LfkwSWg
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Pete Owens wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 12:17am Certainly one cyclist is enjoying the panic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ob-LfkwSWg
It's been costing me an effort not to do that all week, but I'm mindful of the poor sods who have to use a car.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

MikeytheBikey wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 8:57pm Weirdly, I quite enjoy cycling in the rain; it's invigorating. Not too keen on cycling into headwinds. I don't find cycling when it's really hot particularly pleasant either!
Cycling in the rain actually anaesthetises the lactic pain in your legs; over time you might learn to equate headwinds with hills and accept them and then they might not feel so bad (maybe!); but yeah, it's the heat I've never got on with.
MikeytheBikey

Post by MikeytheBikey »

kylecycler wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 9:07pm
MikeytheBikey wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 8:57pm Weirdly, I quite enjoy cycling in the rain; it's invigorating. Not too keen on cycling into headwinds. I don't find cycling when it's really hot particularly pleasant either!
Cycling in the rain actually anaesthetises the lactic pain in your legs; over time you might learn to equate headwinds with hills and accept them and then they might not feel so bad (maybe!); but yeah, it's the heat I've never got on with.
Well, I don't actually cycle long & hard enough for lactic acid to be a problem! 🤣
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Love the physical and mental challenge of riding in the wind and rain. Some of my favourite rides have been in diabolical weather. :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rjb wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 10:22pm IMG-20210929-WA0000.jpg
Brilliant
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.