Poor driving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeytheBikey

Poor driving

Post by MikeytheBikey »

Was on my way home in my car yesterday. Saw a large 4x4 overtake a small group of cyclists on a narrow road, leaving them hardly any room, then turn left in front of them. The cyclists started shouting, understandably.

Totally needless & potentially dangerous behaviour on the driver's part. They just needed to hold back for a few yards until they reached their turn off.

I'm sure this will be no surprise to many cyclists. I just don't understand what posseses people to drive like that.
Darkman

Re: Poor driving

Post by Darkman »

Likely the sort of idiots who stick to the outside lane of a motorway doing 110mph because they cannot stand it when they're behind somebody (which, big news, you *always* are no matter how fast you go).
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

MikeytheBikey wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 11:08am Was on my way home in my car yesterday. Saw a large 4x4 overtake a small group of cyclists on a narrow road, leaving them hardly any room, then turn left in front of them. The cyclists started shouting, understandably.

Totally needless & potentially dangerous behaviour on the driver's part. They just needed to hold back for a few yards until they reached their turn off.

I'm sure this will be no surprise to many cyclists. I just don't understand what posseses people to drive like that.
No surprise at all. Particularly in that it involved a large 4x4......
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Disagree with the 4wd thing. Usually a trademans van or a German car.
Cue a new and pointless arguement :lol: :roll:
PM999

Post by PM999 »

Happened to me t'other day. 60mph limit road, blind right hand bend, driver completes his MGIF and immediately pulls up in farm driveway. Complete berk. Footage saved to my video house of horrors:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5kc0g ... p=drivesdk
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PM999 wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:41pm Happened to me t'other day. 60mph limit road, blind right hand bend, driver completes his MGIF and immediately pulls up in farm driveway. Complete berk. Footage saved to my video house of horrors:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5kc0g ... p=drivesdk
I suspect also that the driver cut you up more closely than it appears in your vid.
Lazycarton

Post by Lazycarton »

MikeytheBikey wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 11:08am Was on my way home in my car yesterday. Saw a large 4x4 overtake a small group of cyclists on a narrow road, leaving them hardly any room, then turn left in front of them. The cyclists started shouting, understandably.

It is simply arrogant and aggressive behaviour which is probably not restricted to driving.
robing

Post by robing »

Probably the same sort of people that panic buy and hoard.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

PM999 wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:41pm Happened to me t'other day. 60mph limit road, blind right hand bend, driver completes his MGIF and immediately pulls up in farm driveway. Complete berk. Footage saved to my video house of horrors:
Ugh, 60mph is a daft limit.

Drivers sometimes seem to be on automatic - they see a bike and treat it like it is going at walking pace, no matter how fast it is actually travelling.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I think this is often an example of infantile thought processes by a driver. A case of ‘You (the cyclist) have inconvenienced me so I will inconvenience you‘.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

prestavalve wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 8:24am
Ugh, 60mph is a daft limit.

Drivers sometimes seem to be on automatic - they see a bike and treat it like it is going at walking pace, no matter how fast it is actually travelling.
It's simply mind over matter,they don't mind coz you don't matter :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Seems to be hardly any observation of the road ahead these days, the amount of traffic jams outside of school caused by people just blindly driving into pinch points that either already have an oncoming car in them, or have no space out of the far end is alarming, then the drivers with the sense to hang back, get beeped at or worse.

Perhaps people see the cyclists, start planning on overtaking, sometimes wait for a safer place to overtake, then concentrate on the overtake, without thinking that by now they are nearly at their turning.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I would like to know what was in the mind of the cyclist I saw today.
The road through the village is bypassed nowadays, and by today's standards is not busy.
He had a child in the seat on the back and was riding sedately on the right hand side of the road, in and out of the parked cars.
Many of the drivers do more than thirty mph., but I do not see how riding on the wrong side of the road might be safer.
I can only think that he does not see a bike as a legitimate part of "the traffic", subject to the same rules and laws as motors.
This idea, that we do not have the same rights and obligations on the road as motor vehicles seems to me to be derived from the same attitude which is common amongst drivers.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The standards of driving seem to have plumbed new depths of late, and the levels of aggression are way up too. I got knocked of my bike by a bus a couple of weeks back ( he cut straight across me / Right hooked me) I put an official complaint in ( there were cameras all over the bus and loads of witnesses ). I was informed that the driver has been dismissed for gross misconduct this week. I was also nearly hit by a taxi, as I was pushing my bike across a zebra crossing last week, fortunately the motorcyclist on the other side of the road ( who did stop ) got it on his GoPro, and we both reported the driver to his firm, and I’ve been informed that he has also been dismissed. I’ve never known anything like it, it’s gone mental since the pandemic ( not that it was that great before ).
millimole

Post by millimole »

Mike Sales wrote:I would like to know what was in the mind of the cyclist I saw today.
The road through the village is bypassed nowadays, and by today's standards is not busy.
He had a child in the seat on the back and was riding sedately on the right hand side of the road, in and out of the parked cars.
I can only think that he does not see a bike as a legitimate part of "the traffic", subject to the same rules and laws as motors.
... .
I think this comes from the same school of thought as white lights on the back of bikes, or red lights on the front*, and possibly the same train of thought as /some/ pavement cycling.

It's about bicycles as toys, rather than bicycles as legitimate transport in my opinion.

(*The last bike rider with 'reversed lights' my wife tackled genuinely did not know what the rules were, recently having arrived from a middle Eastern country where bikes didn't have any lights. I think this is an edge case, rather than a normal excuse.)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider