Being a deaf rider.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bill Reynolds

Being a deaf rider.

Post by Bill Reynolds »

As you can see, l am a rather rare sort of cyclist, who is also a motorcyclist. When l am away from my home by about a quarter of a mile, l don a bright yellow tabard that l brought off Amazon with ...'Deaf Cyclist'....on the back! I ride a Dahon folding cycle as l need a low cross bar as my joints have been comprehensively messed up by two motorists riding into my Yamaha in the early 1970's! I find most car owners avoid me in a wide manner... (i.e. giving me plenty of room)... or won't pass me unless l wave them past! I have had only one stupid close overtake by a dope in Feckenham High Street... that l can remember!! I also wear a yellow tabard with a plain...'Deaf'.. on the back when riding my current motor scooter...l have a motor scooter with a open entry due to above accidents, when out on that l have GREAT trouble getting people to over take and have to resort to putting on my left winker to give them a hint! I have been wondering if a policeman would give me a bit of lee-way, as l ride on pavements in a slow manner most of the time if they are there...?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Being a deaf rider.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Does that imply that you ride quickly on the pavements when they aren't ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
richardfm

Re: Being a deaf rider.

Post by richardfm »

Bill Reynolds wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 3:55pm As you can see, l am a rather rare sort of cyclist, who is also a motorcyclist. When l am away from my home by about a quarter of a mile, l don a bright yellow tabard that l brought off Amazon with ...'Deaf Cyclist'....on the back! I ride a Dahon folding cycle as l need a low cross bar as my joints have been comprehensively messed up by two motorists riding into my Yamaha in the early 1970's! I find most car owners avoid me in a wide manner... (i.e. giving me plenty of room)... or won't pass me unless l wave them past! I have had only one stupid close overtake by a dope in Feckenham High Street... that l can remember!! I also wear a yellow tabard with a plain...'Deaf'.. on the back when riding my current motor scooter...l have a motor scooter with a open entry due to above accidents, when out on that l have GREAT trouble getting people to over take and have to resort to putting on my left winker to give them a hint! I have been wondering if a policeman would give me a bit of lee-way, as l ride on pavements in a slow manner most of the time if they are there...?
No, I can't see that you are also a motorcyclist.
Why do you wait until you are a quarter of mile from home?
No, I don't think you will get leeway to ride a motor scooter on the pavement.
Richard M
Cardiff