anti-cycling rants

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

anti-cycling rants

Post by Revolution »

Woke up this morning to see that my local free sheet has been successful in once more cultivating a cyclist vs anti-cyclist war on its letters pages. I rarely join in with these battles as most of the letters are factually incorrect and illogical in their arguments. It is however a bad start to the day and makes me feel down knowing that this animosity exists and seems to be encouraged by most forms of media in order to increase readership. I guess I should just tape up my letter box or go and live on a desert island :(
richardfm

Re: anti-cycling rants

Post by richardfm »

I didn't know those free "newspapers" still existed. We haven't had one for years.
Richard M
Cardiff
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

richardfm wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:30am I didn't know those free "newspapers" still existed. We haven't had one for years.
The one I get is published by Archant who according to Wikipedia, produce four daily newspapers, around 50 weekly newspapers, and 80 consumer and contract magazines. Archant also claim "We build communities." :roll:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I feel the same when I read this stuff.

But:

1 It's essential to know how other people feel.

2 It's a useful reminder to avoid that sort of behaviour ourselves. And this forum would be even better without some of it.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My only advice would be ignore it.

Basically cyclists are not liked. You may get a generic - we must all walk and cycle more, etc, plus any warm glow from things like the Olympics, but otherwise we are disliked.

We all cycle on the pavement. Vehicle drivers in particular don't like us. We all jump red lights. None of us have insurance or pay any taxes.

Politicians may utter a few weasel words, but they know they will face electoral failure if they support bikes over cars.

I have become so frustrated over my local Council's lack of everything re bikes that I don't bother lobbying or complaining anymore because I know it will have no affect. I do write the odd letter to our fairly good local free newspaper.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Hi Revolution would that be the North Somerset times?

They seem to have published a plethora of letters recently, this weeks one I played "bingo" with the content.
And a previous letter by apparently a councilor, who was very pro cycle paths, but only to get cyclists off the (Dangerous) roads...
I too get very angry then plan to write a letter, and then realizing the futility of it all, try to ignore it...fail to do so, and get riled by the next week. My wife's advice is not to read the letters page....
However if we don't challenge the incorrect statements made, are we silently agreeing with them, and consequently reinforcing the anti cycling rhetoric. But the challenge is to present the counter argument in positive manner.

(Going out to ride Belmont for some anger management :lol: )

Martin
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Its helpful to remember that the vehicle industry and the finance and service elements that have largely replaced straight manufacturing, is an incredibly important chunk of Britain's economy. There are colossal vested interests in maintaining the status quo. The numbers of cars flooding onto the same amount of road space, many bloated "super-safe" SUV-type vehicles shows no sign of slackening and the presence of nuisances like cyclists and pedestrians is all set to annoy a growing number of the UK's drivers, who, unfortunately for us, feel safer and safer in their bigger and bigger cars and who if they had their way would simply comdemn us to the trash bin... 'cos we're in their way!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 4:47pm Its helpful to remember that the vehicle industry and the finance and service elements that have largely replaced straight manufacturing, is an incredibly important chunk of Britain's economy. There are colossal vested interests in maintaining the status quo. The numbers of cars flooding onto the same amount of road space, many bloated "super-safe" SUV-type vehicles shows no sign of slackening and the presence of nuisances like cyclists and pedestrians is all set to annoy a growing number of the UK's drivers, who, unfortunately for us, feel safer and safer in their bigger and bigger cars and who if they had their way would simply comdemn us to the trash bin... 'cos we're in their way!!
..................and add to this that many are now entering smug mode by saying they are electric. As we (they?) all know, electric cars are the answer to all transport problems. Unfortunately this is something I am hearing more and more with politicians gaining kudos by mentioning anything electric car related.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Revolution wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:28am Woke up this morning to see that my local free sheet has been successful in once more cultivating a cyclist vs anti-cyclist war on its letters pages.
Rejoice in the fact that all the anti-cyclists have done is to prove you with free material for your cat litter tray. Your cat will answer all the criticisms levelled at cyclists in a much more equolant method than you or I could possibly imagine
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It's not just anti-cycling but anti-pedestrian as well. The other day a motorist stopped to allow me to cross a road. Of course that resulted in a blare on the horn by the following driver who then shouted abuse at me as he drove by.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Anti-cycling rant just taken up a notch......warning contains the F-word.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-li ... 021-286951
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

simonhill wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 7:21pm
simonineaston wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 4:47pm Its helpful to remember that the vehicle industry and the finance and service elements that have largely replaced straight manufacturing, is an incredibly important chunk of Britain's economy. There are colossal vested interests in maintaining the status quo. The numbers of cars flooding onto the same amount of road space, many bloated "super-safe" SUV-type vehicles shows no sign of slackening and the presence of nuisances like cyclists and pedestrians is all set to annoy a growing number of the UK's drivers, who, unfortunately for us, feel safer and safer in their bigger and bigger cars and who if they had their way would simply comdemn us to the trash bin... 'cos we're in their way!!
..................and add to this that many are now entering smug mode by saying they are electric. As we (they?) all know, electric cars are the answer to all transport problems. Unfortunately this is something I am hearing more and more with politicians gaining kudos by mentioning anything electric car related.
Nah, they’re an answer to one issue caused by car dependence, they don’t answer any transport questions.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pga

Post by pga »

These anti-cycling ranters empower motorists to show little or no respect for cyclists on the roads. These are the same mindless folk who seek to create divisions in society and leads eventually to not only MPs being killed but endless less eminent numbers as well.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Seen on Twitter
IMG_20211023_103334.jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

They are all at it

Cycle lanes and local traffic networks ‘destroying’ commercial drivers
“Ludicrous” cycle lanes and local traffic restrictions are destroying the productivity of commercial road users such as lorry and delivery drivers, MPs have been told.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... l-drivers/

The print version was illustrated by a pic of a rider not using a cycle lane - which, to be fair, looked like a ludicrous cycle lane.