Petty annoyances on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
De Sisti

Re: Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by De Sisti »

Drivers at traffic lights using their footbrake to hold their vehicle stationary instead of the vehicle's handbrake. Their brake lights dazzle anyone behind them. It's extremely difficult
for those with cataracts or suffers of epilepsy to be behind vehicles at such times.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

De Sisti wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:20pm Drivers at traffic lights using their footbrake to hold their vehicle stationary instead of the vehicle's handbrake. Their brake lights dazzle anyone behind them. It's extremely difficult for those with cataracts or suffers of epilepsy to be behind vehicles at such times.
Amen!
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

De Sisti wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:20pm Drivers at traffic lights using their footbrake to hold their vehicle stationary instead of the vehicle's handbrake. Their brake lights dazzle anyone behind them. It's extremely difficult
for those with cataracts or suffers of epilepsy to be behind vehicles at such times.
That appears to be how drivers are taught nowadays!

I remember giving a friend's daughter a lift about 10 years ago and she thought it was hilarious when I applied the handbrake when waiting at a T-junction and traffic lights.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DaveReading wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 5:09pm
De Sisti wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:20pm Drivers at traffic lights using their footbrake to hold their vehicle stationary instead of the vehicle's handbrake. Their brake lights dazzle anyone behind them. It's extremely difficult
I'm not aware of any instruction guidance that recommends that...

Jonathan
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

DaveReading wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 5:09pm

I remember giving a friend's daughter a lift about 10 years ago and she thought it was hilarious when I applied the handbrake when waiting at a T-junction and traffic lights.
Then your daughter's friend needs to ask for a refund from her driving instructor. Handbrake should still be used to keep the vehicle under control when it's not moving.
If you use the foot brake, should another vehicle run into the back of you, there is a risk your foot will come of the foot brake. If that happens on an inclined plane, your car is no longer under control and may move - if this happens and you cause either personal injury or damage you may be legally culpable.
millimole

Post by millimole »

De Sisti wrote:Drivers at traffic lights using their footbrake to hold their vehicle stationary instead of the vehicle's handbrake. Their brake lights dazzle anyone behind them. It's extremely difficult
It's the increase in cars with automatic 'handbrakes' - generally automatics.
I am that driver. I hate myself.
The default is to come to a halt with your foot on the brake, leave your foot there for a half-second and the automatic brake applies - and this puts the rear brake lights on. Touch the accelerator and off you go.
It is possible to use the manual 'handbrake' but it's no where near as smooth to stop at lights or when parking.
Not all innovation moves us forward.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I have driven Automatics for the last 10 years or so and when stationary,in traffic or at a junction,I leave the car in 'D' and keep my foot on the brake.This is the accepted 'correct' way to drive an Auto.My current car is a 'Blue motion' or 'Stop/Start'.If I engage the handbrake and remove my foot off the brake the car will automatically start which is pointless.
Now idiots driving with their rear foglights on,especially in the wet,IS annoying.
jb

Post by jb »

Can't say brake lights bother me on a bike, they're too low down.
Annoying in a car though. But as I now drive an automatic I've no idea what the brake lights are up to.
Cyclists with flashing lights at night should be thrown into the vats of hell though.
Cheers
J Bro
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

millimole wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:55pm
De Sisti wrote:Drivers at traffic lights using their footbrake to hold their vehicle stationary instead of the vehicle's handbrake. Their brake lights dazzle anyone behind them. It's extremely difficult
It's the increase in cars with automatic 'handbrakes' - generally automatics.
I am that driver. I hate myself.
The default is to come to a halt with your foot on the brake, leave your foot there for a half-second and the automatic brake applies - and this puts the rear brake lights on. Touch the accelerator and off you go.
It is possible to use the manual 'handbrake' but it's no where near as smooth to stop at lights or when parking.
Not all innovation moves us forward.
We hear your confession, and grant you Cyclists' Forgiveness.

It's a daft design feature. It's taken me years to figure out thsi is what some modern cars are doing. If I'm Q-ing behind a car with brake-lights on, I have to assume they have their foot on the brake, and no hand-brake on. And thus treat them with caution <aaaaaaargh!!!>

(plus the extra dazzle factor already mentioned. Lots of vehicles now have an extra high-level light ...
Blibbka

Post by Blibbka »

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the issues for those with cataracts / epilepsy. I generally use the handbrake but will be more aware now none the less.

When I did my test about 10 years ago now, the instructor definitely emphasised that handbrake should be used at lights. As another person has also commented - my instructor explained that it's safer in the event of being hit from behind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO The worst brake light habit when stationary is pumping the brake pedal in impatience eg waiting at traffic lights.

According to Honest John, the best handbrake-in-an-automatic procedure is to stop, apply the handbrake and then change into neutral. Pointless, in an automatic one might think, but in-gear held by the brakes, the system is still engaged and wearing: release the brake and it will move slowly. Also recommended by HJ is to release the electric-type handbrake manually, rather than driving off so it releases itself: apparently that causes wear on brakes and discs.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I tried a couple of the suggestions above earlier today.
It's a Toyota CHR hybrid.
If I go into N (neutral) when stopped, the power train still runs but the electrics to heating, radio etc all cut out and it 'forgets' the speed limiter setting. When moving back into D (drive) the main control screen seems to reset - I rarely use the satnav, so don't know how that's affected.
I checked the handbook and the advice is to use the 'Hold' setting except when stopped for 'long periods' (undefined), but to leave it in Drive.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
richards

Post by richards »

I have epilepsy and brake lights don’t bother me at all. I am no expert but my understanding is that flashing lights (and only at a certain range of frequencies) are what can precipitate fits in some people with epilepsy.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Regarding lights -- the super bright led floodlights in people's yards are blinding on a dark rainy night and can obscure the road ahead so much you have to almost stop whether driving or riding.

Complaining this evening to my brother he told me there's a place on the local council website to register a complaint about hazardous lights from people's property.

There's one car dealer near me who's yard you could probably see from space!
I am here. Where are you?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Cowsham wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:07am Regarding lights -- the super bright led floodlights in people's yards are blinding on a dark rainy night and can obscure the road ahead so much you have to almost stop whether driving or riding.

Complaining this evening to my brother he told me there's a place on the local council website to register a complaint about hazardous lights from people's property.

There's one car dealer near me who's yard you could probably see from space!
If any light from a residential or commercial building is erected in such a way that it blinds road users then it should be reported to the roads and traffic team of your local authority.

If a light from a neighbouring property is erected in such a way that it shines into or onto your property and stops you from sleeping, then that's looked after by the local authority's environmental health team.