Petty annoyances on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by MikeF »

foxyrider wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 9:27pm
Then theres the must pass but then block the road to wait for oncoming traffic that they must have seen before passing.
Agree that must be near the top, especially when :roll: the average motor vehicle speed is less than that of a cycle.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Postboxer wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 9:51pm I'll be on the next series of Dragon's Den with a retractable lead with a reeling mechanism to wind your dog in.
They already have that, but most users don't know to operate it. Extending leads have ratchet mechanism.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

MikeF wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 8:09pm
foxyrider wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 9:27pm
Then theres the must pass but then block the road to wait for oncoming traffic that they must have seen before passing.
Agree that must be near the top, especially when :roll: the average motor vehicle speed is less than that of a cycle.
And especially when the obstruction is a parked car which leaves enough room for a cyclist to pass without crossing the white line, but the overtaker has to stop, ready to pass the parked vehicle, on the right side of the lane, so there is no longer overtaking room.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
millimole

Post by millimole »

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but a favourite annoyance of mine is Road Closed signs with no indication of whether the closure is passable with a bike, or indeed on foot.

Couple this with unfeasibly long diversionary routes suitable only for motorists.

I think the previous thread said there /should/ be accommodation for foot traffic, but this doesn't mean that there always is!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
robing

Post by robing »

When you cycle past a building site and your previously spotless bike gets covered in grime. No avoiding it!

Cycling up a country lane and the hedge trimmers are out.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

robing wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 9:45pm
+ 1 I can end up carrying my bike 1/2 a mile
I am here. Where are you?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The road closure things has featured on my commute for a fortnight. To a school smack between two closure signs. What is not mentioned is wher the road is actually blocked and there is no account for the smaller ajoining roads between the signage.
All it needs is "at???????"
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cowsham wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 9:21pm
Marathon pluses. What thorns, glass and thumb tacks? I've ridden over them all without a puncture. Nothing to annoy me with that!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tangled Metal wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:11am
Cowsham wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 9:21pm
Marathon pluses. What thorns, glass and thumb tacks? I've ridden over them all without a puncture. Nothing to annoy me with that!
Is that cos you have tubeless tyres? One thorn from a hawthorn hedge will burst my tubed tyres. Fallen foul of that many times.
I am here. Where are you?
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Motorway (!) Signs that say stuff like 'A345 closed after B567' with no indication of whereabouts this is.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Today's offering throughout the oxymoronic smart motorways in West Yorkshire is "Red X Enforced." Apart from these public education announcements being distracting and irritating (as in petty annoyances on the road) what message do they convey? "You may have come to think we can't touch you for it, but just you try it" ? At one point, there was a reduced speed limit to protect people working on the motorway, but instead of a message to that effect, the wording was still "Red X Enforced" even though no Red Xs were displayed.

For any non-drivers or drivers unfamiliar with the HC wondering what I'm on about, this is covered in HC Rule 258

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 253-to-273
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Parent who drive their SUV 0.25 miles home to school to collect their child. I've been trying to work out why when good weather, the road is straight'ish (i.e. 0.25 miles along a road) has good visibility and it adds yet another SUV in the totally inadequate parking scrum.

Ian
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Lack of distances on road signs. It is lovely knowing that I am on the A whatever to somewhere but why not tell me how far it is?
Raod signs everywhere. Signposts are not to compensate for stupidity so rather than shove a sign up warning of a sharp bend or what ever we could expect idiots to drive properly.
House for sake signs.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mattsccm wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 6:52pm ....
House for sake signs.
When I last sold my house in the UK I said I didn't want a "For Sale" sign and estate agent said they are very helpful to buyers they send to the property as it makes it much easier for them to find the correct house. That said, I sold my house fine without one.

But I do sympathise and would add and even worse one, the "Sold by <estate agent name>" signs - which are nothing more than advertising.

Ian
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Psamathe wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 7:51pm But I do sympathise and would add and even worse one, the "Sold by <estate agent name>" signs - which are nothing more than advertising.
Ian
Charge them a daily fee for each day the sign is left at the property after the sale. :idea: :twisted: