Petty annoyances on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jamesh

Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by Jamesh »

Do you have any petty annoyances on the road?!!

I had three today:-

Noisy sport and scrambler motorbikes. I don't mind motorbikes esp classic ones. But these are far too noisy.

Cycling a who peal off the road your riding along just before you catch them!

Cyclists who don't acknowledge you!

Anyone else have them.

Good ride though 50miles around Yorkshire dales. Off road a bit on 25mm tyres my own PR!

Cheers James
Psamathe

Re: Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by Psamathe »

Car approaching from behind and failing to indicate and you pull-in to let them pass and they turn (e.g. into driveway) before getting to you! Seems to happen a lot. Not always a lot of passing places to when car comes up from behind I generally pull-in at the next place ony for the car to never get to me. Irritating such that sometimes by the end of the ride I wont bother puling in any more - they can just wait for a straight wider section of road.

Ian
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

General lack of indicator use including by cyclists.
Anyone not me!
Today, 16 miles of tarmac that felt like Pave. Perhaps I noticed the 110 psi in my tubs on my TT bike after a month off it.
Women cyclists, sorry but it is them, with their helmets on the back of their head.
My club mates who think that the tiny mudflap on their mudgaurds is good enough.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cars that hang too far back and miss overtaking opportunities.
Drivers that don’t indicate.
Cyclists that hug the gutter.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Where do i start? :D

Pretty much everything already mentioned of course but my current pet peeve is drivers who hover about a metre behind me in their urgency to dash past - but never do until practically invited.

Then theres the must pass but then block the road to wait for oncoming traffic that they must have seen before passing

The list could go on and on, i try to not dwell on them though, you can ruin a nice ride if you aren't careful! Yesterdays century around mid Wiltshire was peeve free, I caught the bikes before our routes diverged, the roads were wide enough that cars could pass easily and even safely, I even managed to navigate the Bath traffic jam on the way back with nary a stop!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Everyone else.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Litter. Discarded cans, sandwich packing, etc.
In countryside it really annoys me. Today I did a walk just to pick up litter (I got one of those litter pickup grab things from Amazon). In a few miles I'd collected 8 carrier bags stuffed full - I was stopping off at houses "can I dump this rubbish in your bin". Ran out of bags in the end and had to walk past some bad ditches next to road/open fields. It's all from cars/vans/lorries (except one cycling/running boost gel thing).

Ian
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Riders who ride up alongside you and assume (they're interesting and) you want to talk to them.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 9:50pm Litter. Discarded cans, sandwich packing, etc.
In countryside it really annoys me.

Ian
Hardly petty - it really annoys me too

The petty one is 'why when I meet an oncoming cyclist the wind is on his back never mine?'
Last edited by Cowsham on 11 Oct 2021, 7:50am, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

If you are going to put temporary signage up around a junction, make sure the lines of sight are clear.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Litter.

Broken road edges.

Potholes
John
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Ooh....get me going.

Let's start with this awful winter sunshine. Sun so low and hurting my eyes. Why can't they make it higher? :(
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Not so clever road bike riders tell me to get a real bike not an E bike !

not even looking enough to pay attention to the 3x9 and assuming my rack and bag is a battery ... :roll:

Must be added though ! how he got his mufin top in that Rapha gear I have no idea :?
Last edited by TimeTraveller on 11 Oct 2021, 2:09pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pete... I think
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

If you are going to put temporary signage up around a junction, make sure the lines of sight are clear.
And make sure you take it down after the event. In our sportive we collect them within an hour of the last rider passing so I am annoyed to see so many left for weeks or months.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Other cyclists being idiots. :x