Petty annoyances on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Syd

Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by Syd »

Adding one I forgot on my list above.

The idiot cyclist in Edinburgh who rides through winter with an overlay bright white light facing BACKWARDS!!
Oldjohnw

Re: Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by Oldjohnw »

Why not go the full Monte and say our annoyances are:

Everyone and everything. That should cover all the things mentioned on these three pages.
John
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

Syd wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 8:11am The idiot cyclist in Edinburgh who rides through winter with an overlay bright white light facing BACKWARDS!!
This is the best way to prevent tigers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Noisy carbon bikes in a group ride.

I suppose there's one benefit -- pedestrians who normally won't hear my absolutely silent bike and step off the curb without warning will hear the carbon ones arriving even with their earphones in.
I am here. Where are you?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 9:35am Noisy carbon bikes in a group ride. I suppose there's one benefit -- pedestrians who normally won't hear my absolutely silent bike and step off the curb without warning will hear the carbon ones arriving even with their earphones in.
Explain please?
I've had several Carbon bikes and non were any noisier than my Allu or Ti bikes?
Deep Carbon rims do have a certain hum to them certain rear hubs(Hope) are quite loud but that's about it!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

It's got to be none/improper use of indicators.

It rarely causes high risk, but it is SO EASY to do right, and just makes life nicer for other road-users.

You learn to do this religiously to pass the test - why stop now??
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd say that not signally can be annoying but incorrect signalling can be dangerous. I do know that the Highway Code advises not to assume that a driver signalling will make the relevant manoeuvre (my words) but that just reinforces my point. A driver entering a roundabout intending to leave at the third exit and who signals left as they enter the roundabout - presumably on the basis that they intend eventually to exit the roundabout - is a menace imo
jb

Post by jb »

Cycling events (or any other event) that don't take their road side signs down immediately after the event.

I don't care if it does require a sixty mile drive - get shut of it.
Cheers
J Bro
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 10:19am
Cowsham wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 9:35am Noisy carbon bikes in a group ride. I suppose there's one benefit -- pedestrians who normally won't hear my absolutely silent bike and step off the curb without warning will hear the carbon ones arriving even with their earphones in.
Explain please?
I've had several Carbon bikes and non were any noisier than my Allu or Ti bikes?
I don't think carbon frames are noisy - but they DO amplify the other noises that a bike makes. Gear changes are the one I notice most often in group rides.
( Nowhere near as annoying as loud freehubs, or Garmins that beep every 2km ! )
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Explain please?
Deep Carbon rims do have a certain hum to them certain rear hubs(Hope) are quite loud but that's about it!
Probably cheap carbon bikes where the group set is poor or badly setup -- all the gear - no idear. Sounding like a wooden ratchet rattle.
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 12:29pm
Explain please?
Probably cheap carbon bikes where the group set is poor or badly setup -- all the gear - no idear. Sounding like a wooden ratchet rattle.
I've heard those. Not sure if they were carbon frames but definitely more training/racing oriented bikes.

Ian
Syd

Post by Syd »

Another to add:

People who let their dogs stray off to the maximum reach of extendable leads.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 12:29pm
Explain please?
My Ti bike is FAR from cheap and much noisier than my last Carbon bike due to the deep rims and Hope hub :lol:
Constant Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm then clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick when free-wheeling 8)
I love it 8)
jb

Post by jb »

Syd wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 2:43pm Another to add:

Objection; thats not a 'petty annoyance'...I'm not a violent fellow but they should be made to dress tripe for a week.
Cheers
J Bro
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

jb wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:12pm
Syd wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 2:43pm Another to add:
Objection; thats not a 'petty annoyance'...I'm not a violent fellow but they should be made to dress tripe for a week.
Those leads should be banned fullstop!
If you can't keep your dog under control it should be on a short stout lead.