Petty annoyances on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kylecycler

Re: Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by kylecycler »

Slowtwitch wrote: 5 Nov 2021, 8:58pm Bar ends, cannot see the point of em.
Me neither, except I think they were only really to pull up on and transfer weight on to the rear wheel to enhance traction on loose surfaces, or at least that's the only way I can make sense of them. Either that or just give an alternative hand position with flat bars.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

When you're by the roadside with a mechanical you're having trouble with, and a cyclist
rides up and asks if everything is ok. You reply; " No"; and they just continue riding along,
as if there was no interaction.

F.F.S, if you're not prepared to stop and help, don't bother asking if there's an issue. :roll:
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

De Sisti wrote: 6 Nov 2021, 6:13pm When you're by the roadside with a mechanical you're having trouble with, and a cyclist
rides up and asks if everything is ok. You reply; " No"; and they just continue riding along,

F.F.S, if you're not prepared to stop and help, don't bother asking if there's an issue. :roll:
That has never happened to me.I always get “yes mate I’m ok” or words to that effect!
I would pull over straight away if I was told “No!”
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 6 Nov 2021, 8:34pm
De Sisti wrote: 6 Nov 2021, 6:13pm When you're by the roadside with a mechanical you're having trouble with, and a cyclist

That has never happened to me.I always get “yes mate I’m ok” or words to that effect!
I would pull over straight away if I was told “No!”
I always say yes cos I've got everything but the kitchen sink in my backpack bag -

- when I'm with a group I'm the one that becomes a mobile workshop.

If I passed a bloke in a car with it's bonnet up, I could probably get that sorted before I cycle on.
I am here. Where are you?
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Very high pavements. I've a friend who struggles crossing small bridges, high pavements give me the jitters!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Slowtwitch wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 7:51am Very high pavements. I've a friend who struggles crossing small bridges, high pavements give me the jitters!
What, walking on them? Like a Fear of Heights??

(I think the bridge thing is quite common.)
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Getting off high pavements with a bike I find quite appalling, I don't know what it is, when I'm a pedestrian it doesn't bother me at all :lol:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Not just on the road but noticeable there. Things being sold "for free"
Incorrect. Free in this context means free of charge. You don't say "for free of charge" do you? NO. It's either "free"" or "nothing" .
Really gets on my nerves that one.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Slowtwitch wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 12:42pm Getting off high pavements with a bike I find quite appalling, I don't know what it is, when I'm a pedestrian it doesn't bother me at all :lol:
Try it as a wheelchair user...

I can't get to the A&E department at a local hospital if I use the accessible parking because you can't get there from inside the building, but the only pedestrian access is a flight of steps or a long ramp which ends in a 6" kerb...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Just a couple of days ago riding home from work I passed another old guy ( was going to say "old guy" but then I'm becoming one myself) pushing his bike along the road in the dark.

I thought, right I'll ask if he's OK and will stop and help if he needs help even though I was in a bit of a hurry as I was out of work late and had a venue to go to but the reply came back " no everything's OK thanks " I replied " you sure " ? He replies "yes". I said "OK" and cycled on.

He is someone who I meet quite regularly on my commute, have briefly talked with and know he can cycle many miles all day long, so he probably was just giving his ass a break as he is normally seen on a recumbent but this time he was on his old racing bicycle.
Blibbka

Post by Blibbka »

Bike lights that are brighter than the Sun and seem to be pointed to eye-level, meaning that you're temporarily blinded (applies when I'm on
a bike and worse if I'm in a car).
Blibbka

Post by Blibbka »

Ooh.. motorcyclists taking up the bike box. I'm pretty sure they're not for motorbikes but this seems to be a well-kept secret, or just completely ignored.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Blibbka wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 1:34pm Bike lights that are brighter than the Sun and seem to be pointed to eye-level, meaning that you're temporarily blinded (applies when I'm on
a bike and worse if I'm in a car).
non-petty.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Blibbka wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 1:37pm Ooh.. motorcyclists taking up the bike box. I'm pretty sure they're not for motorbikes but this seems to be a well-kept secret, or just completely ignored.

Bike box?
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

The hassle with bike boxes is not petty, I hate them