Route 74 has gone

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Spen

Re: Route 74 has gone

Post by Spen »

mjr wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 3:02pm
MikeF wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 1:04pm
Spen wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 12:04pm

Ordnance Survey maps do not show the legal status of a path, they give an indication of the status but only the definitive map and statement held by the highway authority shows legal status, OS maps have a disclaimer on them for this reason
Indeed, but MJR didn't state that. OS use the definitive map, but as you note with a disclaimer. OSM use??????
OSM use our own surveys, traces of satellite imagery and, where made available, data dumps from the definitive map keepers. Someone (Ian maybe?) posted a link to a list of data sources earlier in this discussion.

I only said OS was currently more reliable on legal status, not that it was perfect or authoritative. There always seems to be someone on this site wanting to argue with anything

OSM is better on surface types, barriers and non-Sustrans cycle routes, which matter more to me.
And I merely pointed out that the only legal record of rights of way is the definitive map and statement, with the map carrying greater weight.
mjr

Re: Route 74 has gone

Post by mjr »

Spen wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 12:42pm And I merely pointed out that the only legal record of rights of way is the definitive map and statement, with the map carrying greater weight.
Indeed. Good luck loading that onto your sat nav or phone. For most people, OSM and even OS are more practical choices.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.