Do you lock your brompton

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Do you lock your brompton

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do you lock your brompton?
simonhill

Re: Do you lock your brompton

Post by simonhill »

On the rare occasion I leave it outside, yes. I popped into Dr the other day and left it outside. Generally I try to avoid leaving it unattended, but sometimes needs must.

Going away for a few weeks with my Surly and am locking the Brompton in my lounge.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

I try not avoid locking the Brompton outside, especially not in London.

The whole point is that you can take it inside with you. However when it's not convenient to take a folded bike I would take public transport or a boris bike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Only ever used one for a mixed mode commute, and it was either with me, or under my desk in the office (which is a pretty trusted environment).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

Yes, same as any other bike.
What context is the question? When would you not lock it? Like any other bike it's with you or someone can pinch it. The Brommie is easier to take with you, but that's not always practical, or sometimes I'd prefer not to.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Not a Brompton, but I hesitate to leave my Dawes folder outside. When I do, it gets folded and locked through frame and saddle rails. A casual thief will probably still be trying to untangle it when I return!

The only place in years where I have been refused entry with a folded bike was a branch of Lakeland. I was going to stand it on its cover in a trolley but the trolleys were kept inside the store and I would obviously have smeared oil over the floor and cut the legs off other customers in the five metre walk to/from them. I now buy the products I used to get in Lakeland from the Range and Wilkinsons instead.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I can't imagine leaving it anywhere it would need to be locked. The point of mine is so officious tawts at northern rail and aviva can't stop me taking it onto the train as folded bikes are not treated as bikes so much as luggage. The added benefit is I can take it inside places with me. No more living up outside.

As such I can't see the point of a lock and never carry one when using my brompton when commuting.

I will point out that mixed modal commuting is it's only use. Leisure riding is full sized road bike or recumbent.

At work I lock it in my old office that's now a store room with very limited access. There's two keys, one with me they other main office in key cupboard.
photobike

Post by photobike »

As with others, I am inclined only to use the Brompton where the destination is one that I can bring the bike in. For work it's at my desk (I use a minimally disruptive route via back entrances and service lifts to get there). If I happen to be in a supermarket type environment it goes in a trolley and if there is no way to conduct my business without bringing the bike in (or the retail staff bringing what I need to me at the door), I take my custom elsewhere. All that said I do have an ABUS Granit Bordo lock which can be mounted on the bike without impeding the fold, if I ever need it ie one of these https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Loc ... -black-SH

I don't generally use it for shopping trips as I have other more suitable load luggers in my fleet!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Of course! And then again, no - not necessarily...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

simonineaston wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 10:48am
Of course! And then again, no - not necessarily...
OK Splinters! :wink:

Please clarify when.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Don't have one.. but why wouldn't you lock it like anything other bike..... a friend had his nicked while on tour in the far east...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think he meant - do you leave your Brompton outside.

As I said, I even lock mine inside.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Isn't it the point that you fold it so it can be stored somewhere safe with you, under desks, cupboards, etc. All places where you'd think they were safe. So why lock them?

Obviously some don't use it that way but that use is probably it's greatest selling point.

I don't lock bikes of all kinds in the garage and undercroft however I can't fit the rigid bikes under my desk or rather am not allowed to store a rigid bike in my old, empty and secure office like my Brompton. It's this difference that makes me ask about locking your bike. Do you not have a secure place to leave it? Do you not feel like you're able to carry your brompton or wheel it in shops so have to lock it? Personally mine is purely commuting tool so home or office only. If not there it's next to me on the train.
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:35pm If not there it's next to me on the train.
I believe ex CUK Chief Exec Paul Tuohy had his stolen from behind his seat on a train, though unusually he got it back.
I see them locked up all the time, depends entirely on your use, that's why I asked what the context of the question was. I've never taken mine in a shop, because I've never needed to do any shopping while using it, I have been in plenty of shops where I wouldn't wheel it around.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've never needed a shopping trip with mine. Its out of the garage to station. Train within reach and eyes on of me or even my leg is touching it. Then station to a security keycoded room that only a selected, trusted people have anyway because things that go walking are stored there. There is no possibility of theft unless at home, work or with a struggle from me!

I reckon that's probably how most get used, so little need for bike locks.

Of course I have no idea of London and SE trains for bike storage. My train is mostly empty going in so I can easily sit within reach of my bike. Going home in standing over it all the way home as it's standing room only and often not much of that.