Different drivers' attitudes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Different drivers' attitudes

Post by thirdcrank »

Not cycling but walking. I had two contrasting experiences of drivers' attitudes today.

Preparing to cross the B6126 in Gildersome, nowhere near any sort of pedestrian crossing, I realised that the driver of a large saloon had stopped to let me cross. (Imagine a considerate driver at a zebra crossing.) After recovering from the shock I crossed and a couple of other pedestrians crossed in the opposite direction.

As the car continued, I saw from the plate on the back that it was from Spain.

A couple of minutes later, I saw a pedestrian obliged to retreat to avoid being hit by the driver of what I call a Dukesofhazardmobile turning into the side road at a T junction which the pedestrian was already crossing.

I don't know if the former was a typical Spanish driver - they may not have been Spanish at all, of course - but I know the latter is pretty typical around here.
ANTONISH

Re: Different drivers' attitudes

Post by ANTONISH »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:27pm Not cycling but walking. I had two contrasting experiences of drivers' attitudes today.

Preparing to cross the B6126 in Gildersome, nowhere near any sort of pedestrian crossing, I realised that the driver of a large saloon had stopped to let me cross. (Imagine a considerate driver at a zebra crossing.) After recovering from the shock I crossed and a couple of other pedestrians crossed in the opposite direction.

As the car continued, I saw from the plate on the back that it was from Spain.

A couple of minutes later, I saw a pedestrian obliged to retreat to avoid being hit by the driver of what I call a Dukesofhazardmobile turning into the side road at a T junction which the pedestrian was already crossing.

I don't know if the former was a typical Spanish driver - they may not have been Spanish at all, of course - but I know the latter is pretty typical around here.
I went to Spain about four years ago (hadn't been since the sixties).
I was very surprised at how willing motorists were to give way to cyclists.
At one time I stopped several metres from a crossing and a motorist stopped for me - I only realised because he started gesturing at me to cross - very different to the UK.
tykeboy2003

Re: Different drivers' attitudes

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I did a bit of cycling in Andalucia a few years ago mostly round Lanjaron/Orgiva but occasionally down on the coast as well and I'd say that generally drivers there are more considerate than here.

On the other hand, I've also driven in Madrid which was one of the most scary experiences ever but not as bad as Paris....