rider down

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CyberKnight

Re: rider down

Post by CyberKnight »

sounds like i have some hope at a fast recovery then, atm when it clunks its bloody painful,sat with a blanket over me for 3 hours till mrs got up as i was in agony just trying to get anything on the upper body in fact just pulling clothing on the collar bone was excruciating let alone moving the arm
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

All the best mate, hope you have a swift recovery.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Although there won't be any statistics about this, I suspect insect strikes account for a sizeable number of cyclist injuries. As the OP demonstrates, your reaction to an insect getting caught up in your body is to attempt to remove it, which means you take your mind partially or completely off cycling for a few seconds, by which time...

However, my only insect strike cycling injury was actually a wasp getting stuck between my glasses and my eyes, which led me to quickly whisk my glasses off to try to guide it away, while at the same time slowing down with my one free hand. Fortunately I was on a very quiet road which had no other vehicles on it at that point, and the wasp did fly off and I managed to stop without coming off the bike. The downside was that it stung me a couple of times just under the eye, which was exceptionally painful, and meant I could hardly see out of that eye and still had 25 miles left to cycle home..
drossall

Post by drossall »

I took some Scouts cycling, as I do periodically. One of the unlikely but non-serious incidents we had there was a lad who collided with a fly and fell off. Makes for a good story. Clearly it's something that can easily distract the rider.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Your in good company. Mark Cavendish has joined you.
Get well soon all of you.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-c ... six-crash/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Ouch! Hope you recover soon!
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

off to the fracture clinic thursday
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

CyberKnight wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:55am off to the fracture clinic thursday
I recommend writing down any questions so that you don't forget them in the consultation.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 2:35pm [
I recommend writing down any questions so that you don't forget them in the consultation.

Jonathan
I have done this ready for tomorrow's telephone consultation.
I hope I remember to look at my notes!

I have tried to keep a diary of my various treatments and consultations, but I seem to lack the discipline.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Take a camera :wink:
When I broke mine on a Monday evening the a&e doctor booked me a fracture clinic appointment the following morning. So just 12 hours between visits. I was well impressed by the NHS service. :)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 5:18pm Ouch. You may have trouble explaining that you got the injury by colliding with a fly, but there again you may be able to dine out on the story, I suppose.

Get well soon.
Yep - I can get knocked over by a fly flying past me (i.e. not even hitting me)... How I love having no balance.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

arm.jpg
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

rjb wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 4:04pm
Take a camera :wink:
When I broke mine on a Monday evening the a&e doctor booked me a fracture clinic appointment the following morning. So just 12 hours between visits. I was well impressed by the NHS service. :)
6 days for me , had to roll onto knees on the floor just to get out of bed today
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

update
not happy with the way the shoulder is setting so phoned 111 and got a video consult with GP who contacted a consultant and had a chat on the phone , was advised to goto a&e as getting an appointment could take a while.

3 hour wait there and the nurse did see how i might have an issue and contacted the fracture clinic so i have another appointment tomorrow
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry this was necessary. Sounds like you've done the right thing.

Remember to write down those questions for tomorrow.

Jonathan