rider down

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CyberKnight

rider down

Post by CyberKnight »

Me !

going to work yesterday when an insect went in my ear, shook my head and tried to swat it then lost control and hit a hedge at full speed.
initially i just thought i had a minor off but as i straightened the bars i realized my left shoulder really hurt so i had to phone home and went to hospital by which time the pain was really kicking in .
yup i have broke my collar bone :(
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
thirdcrank

Re: rider down

Post by thirdcrank »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

And more good wishes here
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry to hear that.

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/broken-collarbone/

Did they discuss and give you a plan including mobilisation and exercise?

Jonathan
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

That sounds nasty.
Hope you recover quickly. At my age that injury might take some time.
Best wishes
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Pinkie

Post by Pinkie »

CyberKnight wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 8:54am Me !

going to work yesterday when an insect went in my ear, shook my head and tried to swat it then lost control and hit a hedge at full speed.
initially i just thought i had a minor off but as i straightened the bars i realized my left shoulder really hurt so i had to phone home and went to hospital by which time the pain was really kicking in .
yup i have broke my collar bone :(
You need a pair of those ear gloves that horses use. For much the same reason
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pascal Simon
Pascal Simon
Pascal Simon wore the maillot jaune for a week in 1983, riding with a broken collar bone for most of that time. Not something to try at home
rjb

Post by rjb »

Ouch!!!
show us yours here's mine.
Best wishes,
i was back on the bike after 6 weeks, (2 weeks earlier but didn't admit to Swmbo. :lol: )

6 months later they took the plate out as they felt it was safer without it after the bone had knitted.

I snapped this with a camera as they were showing it too me. :wink:

Last edited by rjb on 20 Nov 2021, 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think Tyler Hamilton rode and finished the Tour with a broken collarbone. I remember Pascal Simon, as we were over in France on a bike tour of the Alps and managed to watch a few stages of the Tour - I think Simon had dropped out by the time the race got to the Alps. This was the same year that Robert Millar wore the Climber’s Jersey - 1983.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
drossall

Post by drossall »

Ouch. You may have trouble explaining that you got the injury by colliding with a fly, but there again you may be able to dine out on the story, I suppose.

Get well soon.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

rjb wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 2:49pm Ouch!!!
show us yours here's mine.
Best wishes,
i was back on the bike after 6 weeks, (2 weeks earlier but didn't admit to Swmbo. :lol: )

6 months later they took the plate out as they felt it was safer without it after the bone had knitted.

I snapped this with a camera as they were showing it too me. :wink:

they didnt show me :(
needed help getting dressed and getting off the bed , even more fun is when something clunks inside !
off to the gp monday as over the counter meds are not cutting it
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

How's the insect?
:wink:
Pinkie

Post by Pinkie »

ChrisP100 wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 10:58pm How's the insect?
:wink:
Buzzing
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

cant move the shoulder at all this morning , actually hurts more on the upper trapezius .
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I broke my collarbone whilst Audaxing a few years ago. Dark with wet roads, a groove in the road caught my wheel and I came down hard.
I knew something bad had happened but found things were less painful if my arm was supported on the handle bars so I cycled the next 60km to finish, then packed the bike in the car, drove home and went to bed with a good dose of ibuprofen. The next morning I decided that the clunking I could feel wasn't right so Mrs F drove me to the hospital where it was confirmed (at about 9:30am on a Sunday morning) that I had a broken collar bone.

The break was quiet benign in that I was able to dispense with the sling after about a week and was back on the bike in three weeks such that I was able to do the last ride of an RTTY.