Worst personalized number plate

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Worst personalized number plate

Post by Mick F »

Another point regarding old plates.
Have you noticed that some old cars you may see going to rallies etc that they have Scottish reg plates?
Usually with an S in them. It's not that the cars are Scottish though.

I enquired many years ago why there were so many Scottish number plates on old cars.
It's because some old cars are barn finds with no known registration or that original number has since been deleted from the system. In that case, DVLA issue an "age related" number to a newly restored car.

They tend to be Scottish because many of the sequences weren't used over the boarder in those days so are now spare and available for use.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Back around 1970 I had a 3 wheeler bond. Used to lift the bonnet to kick start the 200cc villiers then run round to the throttle to keep it going. Paid £15 for it and it got me up and down to Ponteland for nearly a year.
It broke down at Birtree. Services A1 and being completely broke I left it there picking up my tool box a couple of weeks later.
Number plate UP 111
Hindsight is wonderful :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I was overtaken by Steve Parrish (World GP Motorcycle Champion's Barry Sheene's works Suzuki team mate, and current TV pundit), driving a big Mercedes (500SL ?), near Woburn years ago.
It was a lesson in swift safe overtaking ; starting from way back so he could get a clear view of the road ahead, he repeated the exercise a bit further down the road in a similar fashion after stopping at a shop, I was impressed. I used to get fed up of people tailgating me and then trying to overtake when they had lost their momentum whilst peering around the back of my van to see if it was safe to pass.
I'll spare you the actual number plate, but it was an 'S' suffix plate, and spelt out the anglicised translation of the latin : 'Membrum Virile'. that did make me laugh that did...One for the crossword people amongst you; 'sounds almost mightier than the sword'.
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 12:15pm I was overtaken by Steve Parrish (World GP Motorcycle Champion's Barry Sheene's works Suzuki team mate, and current TV pundit), driving a big Mercedes (500SL ?), near Woburn years ago.
It was a lesson in swift safe overtaking ; starting from way back so he could get a clear view of the road ahead, he repeated the exercise a bit further down the road in a similar fashion after stopping at a shop, I was impressed. I used to get fed up of people tailgating me and then trying to overtake when they had lost their momentum whilst peering around the back of my van to see if it was safe to pass.
I'll spare you the actual number plate, but it was an 'S' suffix plate, and spelt out the anglicised translation of the latin : 'Membrum Virile'. that did make me laugh that did...One for the crossword people amongst you , 'sounds almost mightier than the sword'.
... the notorious Steve Parrish!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Parrish#Personality

: - )

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for the link J, looks like I've remembered the plate incorrectly that's age for you, a 5 as a last number not an S suffix. Freud would be proud.
Steve came from a village not far away from me at the time.
Nu-Fogey
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

4COF
MERCEDES-BENZ C
Check another vehicle

Colour
Silver
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
5 September 2012
MOT valid until
28 October 2022
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Was the driver a Chest Surgeon ?
edit; post degenderated
Last edited by colin54 on 24 Nov 2021, 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Here's a money saving tip for anyone who for some reason feels the need to display a cryptic message on their car. Just use a standard number plate, and write your silly message on a big piece of card with a black marker pen, and stick it in your rear window.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

A&S police appear to be amenable to actioning video footage of plates with incorrect spacing etc...
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 10:01am
Cowsham wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:57am My dad bought an Austin Sheerline (4 door saloon) back in the 60's ( it was vintage then too ) the number plate was OZ 666. I wonder what that would be worth today? ( long gone to scrap I'd say )
Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 10.00.01.png

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/searc ... key=oz+666

Jonathan

PS: I don't know that they've actually got it! : - )
It's one of those annoying click bait things I think. Where Google or the firm eg Amazon ( not sure which ) links what your looking for with the firm but when you click on it they don't have it but have something similar.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

johncarnie wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 12:40pm 4COF
MERCEDES-BENZ C
Check another vehicle

Colour
Silver
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
5 September 2012
MOT valid until
28 October 2022
Yes this is what I'm talking about -- number plates that require too much imagination to make any sense.
I am here. Where are you?
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

xerxes wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 1:34pm Here's a money saving tip for anyone who for some reason feels the need to display a cryptic message on their car. Just use a standard number plate, and write your silly message on a big piece of card with a black marker pen, and stick it in your rear window.
What a marvellous idea, as I don't have a car please, treat my signature below as a misted up rear window, with a scrawled piece of card propped on the parcel shelf.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Spacing ...........
It gets my goat.

After leaving the RN in 1996, I took a job locally at a body-car-parts place driving a delivery van to all the body-shops within a 50mile radius of here. As far as Tintagel, Boscastle, Camelford, Davidstow, Plymouth, Ivybridge, Tavistock, Looe, Liskeard, Bodmin ....... the list seems endless. I would drive the van maybe 100miles, but only had a part-time job so did it three times a week.
Wings, bonnets, sills, wheel arches, front panels, rear panels, door-skins etc etc etc.

Sorry ...... I digress.

When not driving, I would help out with orders and loading the van ............. and making number-plates.
We had a jig with spacing and you started from the centre knowing that the letters and numbers had to fit in the "grid".
I and 1 were narrow spaced, but all the other letters were the same space.

We had the customer or two coming in asking for number-plates, and one or two wanted them illegally spaced ......... and we refused so they went away with their tails between their legs.

These days, a legal number-plate has to have at least the post-code of where it was produced. Best, is to have the dealer's name or business address.

New number-plates MUST have at least one of them, and any wrongly spaced ones or without identification are an immediate MOT failure and subject to police action. Many slip through the nets, but they didn't slip though our nets when making them up! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The Scottish Chamber Orchestra’s lorry has the number “H1 SCO”. :)