Six cyclists mowed down in Texas

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Debs

Six cyclists mowed down in Texas

Post by Debs »

Hope they all recover okay, and the pick-up truck driver gets put away for a long long while.

Blowing black smoke - it's an odd term, i think there is a name or word for it (?)

Happened to me more than once, not quite sure what is done to achieve it (?)
Last edited by Debs on 25 Nov 2021, 12:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Six cyclists mowed down in Texas

Post by Jdsk »

Debs wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:08pmBlowing black smoke - it's an odd term, i think there is a name or word for it (?)
"Rolling coal"

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It struck me as I listened that the use of 'deadly weapon' in the context of a vehicle is something we might usefully consider here in the UK.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Debs wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:08pm
Hope they all recover okay, and the pick-up truck driver get's put away for a long long while.
Considering the driver is 16 years old, and will probably 'show remorse' I think it is unlikely. People have killed others in the US and only lost their licence for a period. Unless the driver was under the influence, or hit them deliberately, they will probably get a minimal sentence.
Debs wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:08pm Blowing black smoke - it's an odd term, i think there is a name or word for it (?)

Rolling Coal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

See, cyclists are all crazy environmentalists & rolling coal is way to tell them they are crazy :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That'll be why they were hit in September.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Debs wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:08pm Blowing black smoke - it's an odd term, i think there is a name or word for it (?)

squirt too much diesel into the engine and you get black smoke. I guess it is done by altering the programme in the engines ECU these days, hence they can turn it on and off when they want.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Pebble wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 3:55pm

squirt too much diesel into the engine and you get black smoke. I guess it is done by altering the programme in the engines ECU these days, hence they can turn it on and off when they want.
Pretty much.

Essentially it's a switch that bypasses the mapping sensors and feeds a full boost signal to the ECU so it dumps fuel into the cylinders at max flow rate regardless of throttle setting. It really doesn't do the engine much good, but I guess the point is that these idiots are just doing it to annoy people.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Fortunately it doesn't happen very often - blowing black smoke and running cyclists down - and only ever by the intellectually impaired. If it happened every day, it would cease to be news, we are thankful it isn't.

The kid has been charged with intentional manslaughter and there are numerous civil cases mounting up against him.
Where the cyclists were riding is red-neck country and it appears he was encouraged by his father to behave in this way.
In America - and in Britain - if the courts (and District Attorneys - CPS) refuse to act, obtaining a Civil Judgement by the injured parties is the way to go forward.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tiggertoo wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 4:39pm ....
In America - and in Britain - if the courts (and District Attorneys - CPS) refuse to act, obtaining a Civil Judgement by the injured parties is the way to go forward.
I don't know much about America, but in E&W, the Crown Prosecutions Service (CPS) handles prosecutions (which may lead to punishment) and people suffering a loss etc can undertake civil proceeding to get compo (usually paid by the other person's insurer.)

(In Scotland AFAIK, the Crown Office is the prosecuting authority and was the model for the CPS.)
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I does surprise me that it never caught on here - may be our numpties are not quite as thick as american ones ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nxgz6rOI_c
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Here is another one, not far from the Waller incident:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 582033.php
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Bonefishblues wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 3:12pmThat'll be why they were hit in September.
Yes, two months ago, on the 25th. :o
robing

Post by robing »

Is the USA a dangerous country to cycle in? I can think of several high profile cyclists who have been hit by vehicles in America.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Tiggertoo wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 5:05pm Here is another one, not far from the Waller incident:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 582033.php
Failed to maintain his speed?????????????????????

Can someone explain?