Six cyclists mowed down in Texas

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisP100

Re: Six cyclists mowed down in Texas

Post by ChrisP100 »

Stradageek wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:54am
Tiggertoo wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 5:05pm Here is another one, not far from the Waller incident:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 582033.php
Failed to maintain his speed?????????????????????

Can someone explain?
Not a clue what that means.

If he was approaching a group of cyclists 'failing to maintain his speed' is exactly what he should have been doing.
Tiggertoo

Re: Six cyclists mowed down in Texas

Post by Tiggertoo »

As one who rides a good many miles around US - and Texas - country roads, I will say that the majority of drivers are considerate and respectful of cyclists - well, of me anyway - but it only takes a few who can ruin or end your life in a heart beat.
In urban areas - where I never ride - many drivers will be paying more attention to their phones than the road ahead, but country people are not so enamoured with these devices so that they become a menace.

Driving out of the city along motorways to start a bike ride. most of the traffic ignores the speed limits entirely and if you are driving less than 80 MPH, you will be in the way, and it is the same story on the rural roads. I have said often enough that when I hear a pick-up truck coming up behind me at an excessive speed, I wonder if 'this is going to be the one'.

Finally, I want to say that I am extremely conscious that as a cyclist piddling along a country lane I am in the way and I do all that I can to make the task of the driver coming behind as easy as possible by staying as close to the edge as I can, turn my head to make eye contact if possible, give a cheery wave once the vehicle has passed me and generally try to be a less of a nuisance to other road users in any way I can.

This is how I survive to enjoy the open county roads for as long as I can. I am a solo rider for the most part and others who know where i ride are usually taken-aback and say they could never ride alone out in the country and ask, 'Isn't it dangerous?" to which I mostly reply, "probably".