The Obstacle Course

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pebble

The Obstacle Course

Post by Pebble »

After days of this madness I'm starting to wonder if when normality will be regained, starting to do my back in with all this climbing under and over the trees - hardly a minor road not closed to motorised traffic - and we're 4 days after the storm

plenty of other good bits though, a real joy to be out

and I did get a nice sunset
peetee

Re: The Obstacle Course

Post by peetee »

This may sound brutal and insensitive but I’m more sad for the trees than your good self. Sorry.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Could be additional text for Reasons to be cheerful

Fine weather for cycling on an otherwise traffic-free road.

IMO any spare emergency-recovery resources should be concentrated on those unfortunate people still without electricity.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

peetee wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 9:12am This may sound brutal and insensitive but I’m more sad for the trees than your good self. Sorry.
I entirely agree, I'm also heartbroken at the loss of so many trees, especially the 100s / 1000s of big old Oaks and Beeches that have been destroyed.
I posted a thread the other day on the same subject
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=134283&p=1656329#p1656329
and I was taken to task about saying that it was sad to see the loss of so many trees - apparently we have too many trees, they were the wrong type of trees in the wrong place and others would soon grow!

What ever I post someone is always soon along to have a go.
thirdcrank wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 9:22am Could be additional text for Reasons to be cheerful

Fine weather for cycling on an otherwise traffic-free road.
Indeed there was two pictures saying that
IMO any spare emergency-recovery resources should be concentrated on those unfortunate people still without electricity.
Absolutely, and this is exactly what is happening, many people are still without power six days on. Of course they are a greater priority than some silly aris out on a bike.

Gosh - come to think of it, what was I thinking of venturing out on a push bike, what with the storm and omicrom, I was clearly and recklessly endangering overwhelming the entire health and emergency services.

-----------------------------

is Cycling UK a private club that I have accidentally intruded into ?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Got to take a look at some of my circuits yesterday. Everyone which includes a bit of forestry is blocked. I managed a couple of limbos and climbs but most are impassable without a chainsaw.
I stood and watched an Openreach engineer in the distance. One man one van and fallen trees and hanging wire for as far as I could see.
If it wasn’t for our local effort on village roads I suspect they might be still closed. There just doesn’t appear to be any men left on the ground these days.
If this scale of power and communication cuts happened in London there might have been some ‘ levelling up’
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Pebble wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 10:35am <snip>
What ever I post someone is always soon along to have a go.
<snip>

Gosh - come to think of it, what was I thinking of venturing out on a push bike, what with the storm and omicrom, I was clearly and recklessly endangering overwhelming the entire health and emergency services.
:lol: