bike on national express/train coach

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
orlalovesherbike

bike on national express/train coach

Post by orlalovesherbike »

Hi guys

I rang the national express and asked about bringing my bike on their train or coach (as some of the info online was contradictory) they said it was fine as long as I removed the wheels and put the frame in a bag and wheels in a bag/able to carry them. Has anyone done this? Little bit anxious that I'll turn up for a train or coach like this and get told not to get on. I want to trust the woman on the phone but frequently miscommunication and confusion happen with these things.
Thanks in advance :)
PH

Re: bike on national express/train coach

Post by PH »

Re coach - The rules and the reality are quite different, I'm surprised your phone enquiry didn't just get you the rules, which are laid out in the Conditions of Carriage, which you've probably seen:
https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help ... f-carriage
Basically two medium pieces of luggage or one large, the maximum size of the large isn't big enough for a standard bike, even with the wheels off. It goes on to say they will at their discretion and subject to space, carry outsized items and these can be booked in the normal process, except they can't, the online booking gives the option to add extra luggage, but not oversized!
The reality - I haven't travelled with a full sized bike, but I have several times with a folder in a bag a bit bigger than the permitted large size, plus a large backpack. I've also been on a couple of services where bagged bikes have been loaded. I've yet to come across a scenario where the driver or crew show any sign of being bothered by the size. They're very bothered that it all goes in the right compartment, for ease of unloading, but I get the impression if it fits they'll take it. Neither have I been on a coach where there wasn't a lot of spare space, maybe it happens, but within the UK I'd say the majority of passengers have well below the permitted maximum and a good proportion only have a carry on bag. Even on the popular London - Paris coach I haven't seen the luggage compartment close to full even when all the seats are taken.
So, my opinion is, it's a risk but a small one. If it was absolutely essential I was somewhere at a specific time, I's allow enough time for a Plan B or would't take the risk, but as my trips rarely are that time critical, I'm happy to do so.

National Express trains - not something I was even aware of.
Duradulo

Re: bike on national express/train coach

Post by Duradulo »

National Express don't run any train services in the UK, though they did previously hold the East Coast and East Anglia franchises.

Taking bikes on intercity trains will generally require a cycle reservation but not bagging; you may be permitted to take a bagged bike on but it would be larger than officially allowed. (The only operator in the UK that requires bikes to be bagged is Eurostar I believe). Without a reservation you are liable to be turned away - that said I've taken a bike on GWR & CrossCountry services without reservations, for short trips, with no problem but you do need to be ready to take a subsequent train. Local & suburban trains generally don't require or offer cycle reservations - you can check through most booking sites or National Rail Enquiries.