New cyclist - Road Vs EBike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Re: New cyclist - Road Vs EBike

Post by TrevA »

I would suggest that what you need is a touring bike. Something like the picture that Slowster posted but with dropped handlebars. Something like a Ridgeback Voyage:

https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ridgeback-voyage-varrb2151

Built to carry a heavy load, has mudguards and a rack so you can carry clothes/food/laptop, etc. Plenty of low gears to cope with the climbing on your commute. £1350. You’ll need a set of lights and some luggage (rack pack/saddlebag or some panniers). You’ll be able to commute on this all year round and it would also be suitable for weekend leisure rides.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 8:58pm Re choice of bike, some shops are a bit careless about advice on things like gearing, especially if a customer doesn't make it completely clear they are new to the sport.
Don't put him off by assuming he has to compete. :wink:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'm putting off moving to an ebike for as long as I'm able to continue riding my 'normal' bike.
My reason is that although I'm sure I'll love the ease of a motor I doubt once you've got one you'll be reverting to non assisted cycling.
It's this thought that delays my purchase as it will have a negative effect to what little fitness I have.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

There are reasons for buying an e-bike primarily for commuting. You will get less sweaty and find the hills easier on an e-bike. However, the problem is the cost - e-road bikes start at over £2000. The base model Orbea Gain is £2399 and it’s a heavy old beast - over 15kg - my wife was interested in one and we went to have a look at one and I struggled to lift it up. Even a basic level road bike will be under 10kg and a touring bike around 13kg.

Another option to consider would be an audax/light touring bike - which will have the ability to fit a rack and mudguards which are pretty much essential for year round commuting:

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/14 ... kes-257956
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

TonyBailey wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 8:17pm Thanks for all the replies! Commute is from Huddersfield to Halifax, typical hilly Yorkshire! I'm currently 196cm and 140kg. Trust me the commute will help! And I'm hoping I enjoy the commuting enough to also do some longer stuff, but the commute is the main thing. If we're going for semantics, then replace fitness with weight loss!

I like the comment I saw about enjoyment. Which sways me towards the ebike; I do think I'll enjoy myself a lot more and would be more inclined to stick to cycling. You never know if I really enjoy it I can also buy a new bike without the assist!
Huddersfield to Halifax is a very substantial hill!

An ebike is very sensible for such a commute IMO, although personally I'd enjoy the challenge of a roadbike.

I would strongly echo others comments that a bike with clearance and fixings for proper mudguards is absolutely essential if you're doing this all year around. Get a rack and fully waterproof panniers - I have altura and ortleib, both excellent, ortleib laptop bag is my go-to for commuting.

Other than that, whatever takes your fancy, it matters little.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

TonyBailey wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 8:17pm Thanks for all the replies! Commute is from Huddersfield to Halifax, typical hilly Yorkshire! I'm currently 196cm and 140kg. Trust me the commute will help! And I'm hoping I enjoy the commuting enough to also do some longer stuff, but the commute is the main thing. If we're going for semantics, then replace fitness with weight loss!

I like the comment I saw about enjoyment. Which sways me towards the ebike; I do think I'll enjoy myself a lot more and would be more inclined to stick to cycling. You never know if I really enjoy it I can also buy a new bike without the assist!
You might want to check if the bikes you are considering have a weight limit; or you might just ignore it if they do.
100kg is fairly common for road bikes.
hemo

Post by hemo »

An ideal ebike is one that rides nicely unpowered as well as powered.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

140kg...you will struggle with finding an ebike thats warranted. By definition its going to be some sort of a cargo bike which will be expensive and heavy. Check out weight restrictions. For a heavy (25kg) German ebike like mine the weight limit is 120kg.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hemo

Post by hemo »

Wisper bikes will be but they aren't a road bike, but designed in house by the owner and his team who admits he's a heavy weight and designed them with that in mind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO you have to see the bike as equipment, rather than a magic solution. The rider is the main element. I can see that with an ebike, the machine will contribute some of the propulsion.

I've known several would-be cyclists who have become disenchanted during their first outing, before they had achieved the necessary acclimatisation. (?) The saddle and backside are examples. The glutes need to get used to the effort of cycling combined with being sat on. This has some people dreaming of ultra-soft saddles, when the only solution is doing a couple of rides to get their behind used to cycling.

This is part of my reason for suggesting delaying splashing out on a bike. And you may be able to borrow one from some disillusioned would-be rider.

I wonder if shedding a bit of weight with getting into cycling as a target, rather than a means of achieving weight loss might be more realistic. We've had some inspiring examples of heavy riders' achievements: IIRC pizza-man was 30% heavier than you and rode Lands' End to John o' Groats and has a broad grin in his pics. However, extra bodyweight doesn't make climbing easier (as many of us know :oops: )

As a tip for using this forum, if you get to the point of having other detailed questions, don't be worried about starting another thread with a clear subject to attract those who may know the specific answer; quite a lot of forum members don't always bother with this versus that threads. eg I suggested further up that a local rider might have some suggestions for your best route. The fact that nobody has made any suggestions might be that somebody who knows hasn't realised you want to know too.
=============================================
pizza_man with a smile

viewtopic.php?p=128171#p128171
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 4:29pm IMO you have to see the bike as equipment, rather than a magic solution. The rider is the main element. I can see that with an ebike, the machine will contribute some of the propulsion.

I've known several would-be cyclists who have become disenchanted during their first outing, before they had achieved the necessary acclimatisation. (?) The saddle and backside are examples. The glutes need to get used to the effort of cycling combined with being sat on. This has some people dreaming of ultra-soft saddles, when the only solution is doing a couple of rides to get their behind used to cycling.

This is part of my reason for suggesting delaying splashing out on a bike. And you may be able to borrow one from some disillusioned would-be rider.

I wonder if shedding a bit of weight with getting into cycling as a target, rather than a means of achieving weight loss might be more realistic. We've had some inspiring examples of heavy riders' achievements: IIRC pizza-man was 30% heavier than you and rode Lands' End to John o' Groats and has a broad grin in his pics. However, extra bodyweight doesn't make climbing easier (as many of us know :oops: )

As a tip for using this forum, if you get to the point of having other detailed questions, don't be worried about starting another thread with a clear subject to attract those who may know the specific answer; quite a lot of forum members don't always bother with this versus that threads. eg I suggested further up that a local rider might have some suggestions for your best route. The fact that nobody has made any suggestions might be that somebody who knows hasn't realised you want to know too.
=============================================
pizza_man with a smile

viewtopic.php?p=128171#p128171
I'd agree with much of this in general, but specifically for the OP, I think an ebike is a very sound choice:

- it's a *very* hilly ride.
- making it an amenable route at rush hour could involve several more sharp climbs to avoid main roads
- ebike likely to be more suited to weight as they are generally quite robust to take the battery weight.

OP, don't worry too much about the nominal weight rating of a bike as long as you buy something reasonably strong. The rear wheel is the point of weakness and you can always easily buy a more robust one. A lightweight road bike might not suit for this reason.

Re route, I used to live in Huddersfield; Grimescar Road might be your best way out. Not familiar with Halifax.
TonyBailey

Post by TonyBailey »

Having seen the replies so far, I do somewhat regret the "this or that" style post! And to be honest I've ended up humming and hawing between the two since I put up the post. My gut feeling is to go for the ebike though. I know I want to reduce my reliance on the car, there's no questioning that. And getting out on a bike every day will be good for me overall, mentally and physically. The hills have always been what puts me off. quieter routes around Huddersfield/ Halifax do tend to be on a 9/10%+ incline, and for that I know I'd need assistance! Maybe in the future I'll get myself a weekend bike for enjoying the lovely Yorkshire Countryside!

I'll update again once I've got the bike
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you want somewhere flat to take introductory rides, try the Spen Valley Cycleway which generally follows a former railway line from Ravensthorpe to Bradford.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... -greenway/

Depending on where you live, you may need motor transport to get there so not ideal in that respect but good for riding without worrying about hills
Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid »

I have been a keen cyclist for many years, and raced at a high level in my younger days. This year I bought myself an ebike and it is the best thing I have ever owned. I live in the North Pennines where it is very hilly and often windy. This is the same for the OP, and the ebike will make hills and wind a much more pleasant experience.
I did more cycling this year than in recent years, where struggling with hills and wind had put me in a downward enthusiasm spiral. I also used my regular bikes from time to time, if it was a pleasant calm day.
For a hilly commute it will also be helpful to go up the hills at a faster speed and not have quite so much traffic flashing past.
I would suggest buying the most powerful battery possible. For the bike suggested by the OP I think that is 500Wh. In my experience that would be good for about 45 miles in hilly and windy terrain, probably less for the OP until fitness is built up.
Finally, you need a safe place to store the bike at work.
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

TonyBailey wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 7:58pm Having seen the replies so far, I do somewhat regret the "this or that" style post! And to be honest I've ended up humming and hawing between the two since I put up the post. My gut feeling is to go for the ebike though. I know I want to reduce my reliance on the car, there's no questioning that. And getting out on a bike every day will be good for me overall, mentally and physically. The hills have always been what puts me off. quieter routes around Huddersfield/ Halifax do tend to be on a 9/10%+ incline, and for that I know I'd need assistance! Maybe in the future I'll get myself a weekend bike for enjoying the lovely Yorkshire Countryside!

I'll update again once I've got the bike
'Road Bike' is generally used as shorthand for a road racing bikes, such bikes have high gearing which in any kind of hilly country is only suitable for the fittest riders. I mostly ride a low geared touring bike and on the flat road bike riders shoot past me but I catch most of them up on even modest hills as those who are not athletic and fit soon run out of gears. An e bike sounds like a good idea but otherwise a touring bike will have lower gearing.
It's really worth using an online gear inch calculator to compare the gearing on different bikes, low gear for a touring bike is under 20 inches and that's what you need . If you want a conventional bike it's worth contacting Spa cycles in Harrogate and see if they have a bike with gearing that low which fits you.