Is cycling through stationary traffic illegal?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ransos
Posts: 247
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 12:29pm

Postby ransos » 28 Jul 2008, 11:20am

A friend of mine was filtering up the inside of a queue of traffic, when he was knocked off by a passenger opening a door. As he successfully claimed against the driver's insurance (they backed down just before it was due to go to court) I can only assume that a) he was commiting no offence and b) the driver is responsible for the passenger's behaviour.

thirdcrank
Posts: 30557
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 28 Jul 2008, 11:41am

ransos

Good news except it's better not to find out the niceties of the law by being injured. The insurance payout is, of course, civil law, not criminal law (which covers offences alleged to have been committed.)

Insurance companies dragging their feet and all the rest of it is standard practice. I'm surprised there is no posh Latin phrase to cover this shabby activity.

Ambermile
Posts: 335
Joined: 26 Jun 2008, 3:35pm
Location: South Norfolk
Contact:

Postby Ambermile » 28 Jul 2008, 1:02pm

Can I just confirm here... undertaking is a nono and involves passing *moving* cars, whereas filtering is OK (though at your risk) passing *stationary* cars, right?

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.

ransos
Posts: 247
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 12:29pm

Postby ransos » 28 Jul 2008, 1:37pm

thirdcrank wrote:ransos

Good news except it's better not to find out the niceties of the law by being injured. The insurance payout is, of course, civil law, not criminal law (which covers offences alleged to have been committed.)

Insurance companies dragging their feet and all the rest of it is standard practice. I'm surprised there is no posh Latin phrase to cover this shabby activity.


Agreed. I was just pointing out that the driver's insurer would be highly unlikely to cave in, had the cyclist been commiting an offence.

User avatar
Yorkshireman
Posts: 352
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 6:59am
Location: North Hykeham, Lincoln.
Contact:

Postby Yorkshireman » 28 Jul 2008, 3:25pm

Ambermile wrote:Can I just confirm here... undertaking is a nono and involves passing *moving* cars, whereas filtering is OK (though at your risk) passing *stationary* cars, right?

Arthur


Not quite. Check the first two pages of this topic.
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/

User avatar
patricktaylor
Posts: 2302
Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 11:20am
Location: Winter Hill
Contact:

Postby patricktaylor » 28 Jul 2008, 3:43pm

Yorkshireman wrote:
Ambermile wrote:Can I just confirm here... undertaking is a nono and involves passing *moving* cars, whereas filtering is OK (though at your risk) passing *stationary* cars, right?
Arthur

Not quite. Check the first two pages of this topic.


Why just the first two pages?

User avatar
Yorkshireman
Posts: 352
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 6:59am
Location: North Hykeham, Lincoln.
Contact:

Postby Yorkshireman » 28 Jul 2008, 4:11pm

patricktaylor wrote:
Yorkshireman wrote:
Ambermile wrote:Can I just confirm here... undertaking is a nono and involves passing *moving* cars, whereas filtering is OK (though at your risk) passing *stationary* cars, right?
Arthur

Not quite. Check the first two pages of this topic.


Why just the first two pages?


'Cos the title of the thread is "Is cycling through stationary traffic illegal?", and the question was answered (one way or another) in the first two (or three?) pages. If Ambermile had read those pages why would he be asking the question?
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/

User avatar
lauriematt
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Apr 2008, 10:26pm
Location: shropshire

Postby lauriematt » 28 Jul 2008, 4:12pm

no its not
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER

User avatar
lauriematt
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Apr 2008, 10:26pm
Location: shropshire

Postby lauriematt » 28 Jul 2008, 4:12pm

no its not
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER

User avatar
Yorkshireman
Posts: 352
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 6:59am
Location: North Hykeham, Lincoln.
Contact:

Postby Yorkshireman » 28 Jul 2008, 4:17pm

lauriematt wrote:no its not


What's not? :?
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/

User avatar
andrew_s
Posts: 5301
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 9:29pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Is cycling through stationary traffic illegal?

Postby andrew_s » 28 Jul 2008, 9:14pm

max2008 wrote:I realised afterwards that the passenger and/or the driver had seen me and decided to open the door and get out to make their point.


Quite apart from everything else, it would have been handy to point out that if you had hit the door, they may well have been unable to close it afterwards.

Nothing like a bit of self-interest to dissuade them from playing silly games.

User avatar
lauriematt
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Apr 2008, 10:26pm
Location: shropshire

Postby lauriematt » 28 Jul 2008, 9:30pm

Yorkshireman wrote:
lauriematt wrote:no its not


What's not? :?


its not illegal to cycle thro stationary traffic...otherwise the policecar that i cycled past earlier would have nicked me! :D
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50681
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Postby Mick F » 28 Jul 2008, 9:33pm

Yeah, the police reckon it's not illegal to cycle on the pavement or over a zebra crossing either!
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
lauriematt
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Apr 2008, 10:26pm
Location: shropshire

Postby lauriematt » 28 Jul 2008, 9:36pm

Mick F wrote:Yeah, the police reckon it's not illegal to cycle on the pavement or over a zebra crossing either!


saying that i once got stopped for cyling on a pavement down a one-way street..trying to take a shortcut

policeman had a quick chat...must have had not much else to do that day :D
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER

Ambermile
Posts: 335
Joined: 26 Jun 2008, 3:35pm
Location: South Norfolk
Contact:

Postby Ambermile » 28 Jul 2008, 10:45pm

Well, I did read the entire thread, and if it was answered in the first couple of pages then there's a whole lot of wasted space here...

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.