Pursuing pothole procedures ( Mick F has a bad fall )

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Pursuing pothole procedures ( Mick F has a bad fall )

Post by Mick F »

I rode out this morning, sod the rain! I went out via Callington and towards Liskeard on the A390. Down the hill towards the little bridge over the Lyhner, I hit a pot-hole.

When I say pot-hole, it was deep and wide, and it had me off.

I was doing about 30 mph, downhill taking the primary position, with a couple of cars behind me. The front wheel hit, and then the rear.

Both wheels were wrecked, the rear is now heart-shaped. It took the rear mudguard under the rear brake and it locked solid. I fell to my left, still holding onto Bike, and slid backwards for about 50 yards.

The following cars stopped and checked me out. My left elbow is badly cut, left thigh grazed deep and wide. I have various other cuts and bruises. And my shorts are in shreds.

My left elbow was gushing blood, and a lady pulled out a bit of bandage, but as I was there, a police car came up the hill! Lucky or what?! He bandaged me up, we loaded Bike into the car, and he took me home. Meanwhile I'd phoned Mrs Mick F who was waiting on our drive.

We've just got back from hospital. I'm bandaged and in pain, and am going back for dressing changes daily.

Shortly, we're off to see the pot-hole and take photographs.

More later .......
Mick F. Cornwall
julk

Post by julk »

Mick,
Sorry to hear of your accident.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both you and your bike.
Julian
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Mick,

How terrible. Wishing you both a speedy recovery.

Cheers

Chris
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Horrible to hear what happened.

Get well soon.

Good to hear at least some police are decent (I take back a little of what I've just said on another thread about them!).

Sounds like some more wheel building for you in the near future..
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
sir_lozz

Post by sir_lozz »

ouch i fell of this week but that was only a minor scrape caused by excessive breaking after a tractor was parked in some little country road!

hope your back on the bike soon and congratulations on finding something positive with the police!
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

That's terrible. Good that you 'walked' away from it though, and sounds like you have some decent coppers 'round your way. Get well soon.

p.s. why are you taking pictues of the pot-hole? - what do you expect if you don't pay road tax :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't talk to me about pot-holes!

We went back, armed with a long ruler and camera, only to find the sods had filled it in!!!

I can't complain really, coz I asked the copper to make sure it was reported asap as it was a danger. Must've been done!

Slouching on the sofa now, nursing very sore wounds. It hurt lots getting in and out of the car.

Thank you so much for all your good wishes. Hopefully, me and Bike will be up and running soon. Our next thing is to get a police report and get in touch with Cornwall Highways for some compensation. Bike, from what I can see at the moment seems unscathed, the wheels and rear mudguard took the blows. I'll be heartbroken if the frame has taken a bashing.

New rims (and spokes?) and new mudguards - £50 odd quid plus labour.
New skin, NHS bandages, painkillers, trauma, boredom coz I'm not riding - loadsa dosh. BTW, the tyres are still in one piece and hard!

Any advice for my way ahead with a claim?

Thanks again for the kind words,
Mick and Bike.

Mick F. Cornwall
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

Ouch! I hope you get better soon.

Geoff
Si

Post by Si »

Bad luck Mick - hope that you are sorted soon.
Gunner

Re Off

Post by Gunner »

Mick F

Sorry to hear of your spill this morning, we wish you well for a full and speedy recovery. The Bobby who stopped, did he see the hole? he may have made a few notes that you could perhaps use. Also the cars who helped you did they give the bobby their details ? maybe not but it may be worth a try in informing the Highways Dept & Council of their neglect.

How strange that its now filled in.

Get well soon
mhara

Post by mhara »

So they could get out a lorry and tarmac plus workers to fill that hole within 24hrs AFTER you and your bike suffered nasty damage - but no-one had the time or money to do it before? :?

I hope you give Cornwall Highways everything they've got coming to them.

All the best for a quick healing process and soon back on your lovely bicycle.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Mick F

Try conacting the Bobby and ask him for a statement re his observations of the pothole, and any incident report reference numbers, That way the local council can't deny being contacted by the police, it'll be worth having pictures of the repair, and note the speed of their response, big hole = big response!

Take it easy and get well soon

M
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
BrianInnes

Post by BrianInnes »

Ouch! Sorry to hear of your encounter with the pothole!

Seems a rather rapid filling in of the pothole after the incident - I wonder how long the hole had been there?

Get the frame checked over in case of non obvious damage?

At least you've not got any broken bones! Also good show on the coppers giving you help when you needed it!

At least it didn't happen on your grand tour!

Get well soon!
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Ouch, that's got to hurt. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Is it worth checking on http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ to see if it had been previously reported?
PW

Post by PW »

OUCH! :cry: :cry:
Hope you heal fast & the beggars pay up!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!