Pursuing pothole procedures ( Mick F has a bad fall )

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bike is now rebuilt with spare wheels, the LH pedal and crank look ok, but I won't be able to tell until I ride it.

I'm doing more than fine, not having to go back for dressings again, as they've basically discharged me! I still ache and I'm stiff and slow.

Elbow is the only really hurting bit now. The nurse suggested I'd benefit with a hot bath (perhaps I smell?) and my wounds would appreciate the soak.

I'm ready to try a little spin on Bike, in fact I'm eager for it, but the weather is pants today. The sooner I get out, the better. I need to ride, and Bike needs to be ridden, mainly because the sooner I get to find out if all's ok or not, the better!

Watch this space.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

The good news is that with a SW wind you'll be out of the rain before I am! :cry:
It's 'orrible outside.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Good to hear you're both on the mend. Hope the aches and stiffness sort themselves out soon!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Mick F wrote: I need to ride, and Bike needs to be ridden, mainly because the sooner I get to find out if all's ok or not, the better!

That reminds me of when I banged my hang glider (duff take-off). I did all the inspection myself and in my head I knew everything was fine. That didn't stop me worrying and that worry only went away after a few flights. It bugged me most during the period between the inspection and the first flight.

Tony S
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Mick F wrote: I still ache and I'm stiff and slow.

Maybe a massage might benefit. I'm just back from one and it was v. nice, she feels pretty confident that she can sort me out (Sciatica). I need to do core exercises too whilst cycling! anyone got a scooby?
May the wind always be at your rear!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What's a scooby?

A Scooby Snack?
A Subaru?
Mick F. Cornwall
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Sorry, a 'scooby' is short for 'scooby doo' which is slang for clue.
cranky

Post by cranky »

Mick F wrote:What's a scooby?

A Scooby Snack?
A Subaru?

A clue :)

Damn...too slow again :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Caught me out. First 'on the rivet', now 'scooby'....whatever next?
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Hi MickF

Only just found your thread - really sorry to hear about the whole thing, but at least you are OK and with luck your beloved Mercian is well too!

I had a prang earlier this year and broke my radius and mangled my face. It had been a long time since a big crash and it is quite disturbing when it happens. I hope you mend and don't suffer mentally or physically in the future.

All the best.
2Tubs

Re: Off the Bike

Post by 2Tubs »

Mick F wrote:I rode out this morning, sod the rain! I went out via Callington and towards Liskeard on the A390. Down the hill towards the little bridge over the Lyhner, I hit a pot-hole.

When I say pot-hole, it was deep and wide, and it had me off.

I was doing about 30 mph, downhill taking the primary position, with a couple of cars behind me. The front wheel hit, and then the rear.

Both wheels were wrecked, the rear is now heart-shaped. It took the rear mudguard under the rear brake and it locked solid. I fell to my left, still holding onto Bike, and slid backwards for about 50 yards.

The following cars stopped and checked me out. My left elbow is badly cut, left thigh grazed deep and wide. I have various other cuts and bruises. And my shorts are in shreds.

My left elbow was gushing blood, and a lady pulled out a bit of bandage, but as I was there, a police car came up the hill! Lucky or what?! He bandaged me up, we loaded Bike into the car, and he took me home. Meanwhile I'd phoned Mrs Mick F who was waiting on our drive.

We've just got back from hospital. I'm bandaged and in pain, and am going back for dressing changes daily.

Shortly, we're off to see the pot-hole and take photographs.

More later .......

Blimey Mick!

Sounds like you were lucky (though it may not seem that way), it could've been a lot worse.

Hope you're on the mend.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Looks like a nasty one for sure Mick :shock: ; personally at times like this I try to be as positive as I can be, I just keep saying to myself it could have been worse, let’s face it so much can happen when sliding along as you did.

Chin up, on the bright side you and your bike with some ‘TLC’ will get back on the road hopefully sooner than later and when you do you will have a good story to tell your mates down the café; not to mention virtual mates in a forum :lol: .

Hope you are both back on top form soon.

Paul_Smith
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Maiden Voyage ........

I'm smiling! It works!!!!!!!!!

My left leg is weak and a bit painful, but I don't have any worries that I'll recover totally.

LH pedal has had it. There's a bit missing at the rear where the adjuster is. I'll have a play later and see if I can improve things. The pedal's ok, but it's too easy to twist and release my foot. It doesn't inspire confidence to pedal hard. (Purely academic as my left leg is bad!)

The frame felt fine. I even took my hands off to see if the tracking was ok.

All ok.

Phew! (Wipes furrowed brow)

Thanks everybody for your support and good wishes. I will go from positive thoughts to more positive thoughts, and keep my fingers crossed that the legal team can get some compo from Cornwall Country Council.

Thank you. All of you.
Regards,
Mick and Hilary x
Mick F. Cornwall
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Great news! Glad things are going swimmingly, even Mrs Beakyboy felt sorry for you and she doesn't even cycle! I will relay to her the good news. If your going to change your pedals may I suggest nice Shimano ones (ha ha).

So now I put a motion to the board that a second 'P' word should now be banned from this forum?! Anyone second it?
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

Also only just spotted this thread - seems your enthusiasm for End to Ends now includes End over Ends.

Glad to hear you're healing well, and that the frame is ok. I had the same gunk as you when I managed to slightly overturn my trike - as you say, amazing stuff. Went from a large area of red skin to just a small remaining area of visible damage in less than a week.

Do make a claim - it's the only thing that encourages local authorities to take their road maintenance duties seriously.

Ben
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/