Pursuing pothole procedures ( Mick F has a bad fall )

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Hi Mick

Glad you seem to be knitting together. If your leg is still very sore and painful to use, it might be an idea to see a sports physio. I only suggest this as about 8 years or more ago, I was thrown from a horse onto some builders rubble. I had a suspected broken pelvis which after x ray was not broken.

But a week later I was still in considerable pain especially on walking. Doctors said rest.

I did this.

Then months later once I was really up and about I experienced severe pain in my lower back. It was discovered that during the accident I had torn ligaments in my pelvis. I still suffer from this, as the scar tissue tears from time to time and I cannot breath the pain is so bad.

ONe thing at least, cycling has improved my back muscles so much that Ive not had the ache that tells me scar tissue is ready to go again.

Dont ignore the pain. And when you feel ready do see a physiotherapist, they can do wonders in slowing down the internal growth of scar tissue that will not be flexible and may cause you difficulties later.

Mary
mrs doubtfire

Post by mrs doubtfire »

So sorry to hear about this.Take some rest and come back stronger and fitter.
daveg

Post by daveg »

I've only just found this thread but that was some serious spill. It could have ended up far worse if there had been a lot of traffic around, but still very painful by the look of the injuries. I hope that it all heals well and quickly. In the meantime, sympathies to Mrs MickF for having you as a patient!

I've only once claimed from our local council for injuries sutained when I came off due to a badly rutted road. They actually settled very promptly. My injuries were a scratch compared to yours so given that, and the damage to the bike, using CTC seems the best approach.

Also hope that the Mercian mends. Having had the pleasure of meeting her personally, that is a grand steed - would be difficult if not impossible to replace.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

It certainly sounds sore, but on the other hand it could have been a lot worse considering you effectively fell from several feet onto a rock-hard surface at a speed of 30mph.

You were either lucky, or your reflexes were very effective at keeping your vulnerable bits off the road. Maybe both. I'm convinced that active people are better at taking a fall then inactive, but that may be something learned in childhood as well.

Tony S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yeah, thanks. Feeling better and better by the hour now. I can now lift my left leg and go up and down steps like an adult, rather than like a little toddler - one step at a time!

I thought that as I was fit and strong, I must've fallen better and held my head and body off the road. Reflexes of a fit person.

If I'd been unfit and inactive, I'd have been far more injured. The thing is, if I was unfit and inactive, I wouldn't have been cycling down that road!

Been in touch with CTC Accident Advice people today and explained my position. They're sending me a pack to fill in the forms and send photos back too. I explained that the hole had been filled in, but they said not to worry, photograph the repair, it will give an idea of the hole.

So been out this afternoon with the camera and a 39inch rule.

Also, Mrs Mick F was chatting to a friend, and the hole was there like it was for nearly Three Weeks!! It was filled in 2 hours after my accident. No doubt my friendly policeman organised it. (Still yet to trace him)

I last rode down that hill on 4th July with no pothole.

As for the frame, I've looked and looked and can find no damage, but I still want it checked professionally. I've yet to look at the headset bearings, they must have taken a pretty hard knock. Also the forks, as the front wheel is only flat in one place, whereas the rear wheel has been stoved in and cracked. The front forks and headset must've absorbed a heck of a lot.

Thank you yet again for all your kind words.

May something like this never happen to you !!
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Good to hear you're on the mend, Mick. Just a thought.... what do you think would have been the consequences if you'd had Trailer on the back when you hit the pot-hole? I'm still on the cusp of buying a Carry Freedom and trying to figure out what the handling is like in real-life situations.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Toontra,

If I'd have been pulling Trailer, I don't think there would have been much difference.

I'd have still gone off, but the CF hitch should've allowed Bike to go horizontal with no effect. No doubt Trailer would've stayed on two wheels. Maybe the hitch could've been damaged, I dunno.

Either way, I couldn't have carried on!

CF state a speed limit of quite slow - can't remember the figure, but I've whizzed along at 40mph plus. No stupid potholes though!

I did turn Trailer over a couple of times on my double E2E a couple of years back. I hit a tarmac lump on the old A9 near Slochd Summit, and I hit a glancing blow on a traffic cone in Dalwhinnie. Neither time caused any problem. I stopped, turned it the right way up, and continued my merry way. (but more carefully!)
Mick F. Cornwall
Edward

Post by Edward »

Just joined the forum but I hope you're getting better. Sounded like one hell of an accident but I'm glad that the cars stopped and helped you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just come back from Tavistock Hospital.

I'm healing brilliantly! Now have no dressings on right elbow or left hand. Also left elbow and left thigh have much reduced dressings.

I still ache a lot.

Next check-up on Saturday.
Mick F. Cornwall
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

Hi Mick, glad you appear to be healing well now - fitness levels do help!

Out of interest has there been any effect on your shoulders / neck from the jolt you must have received hitting that hole?

You really should do a mine search before riding in Cornwall you know... These shafts keep opening up all over the place, especially when its been so wet!
cranky

Post by cranky »

Deckie wrote:You really should do a mine search before riding in Cornwall you know... These shafts keep opening up all over the place, especially when its been so wet!

Ohhhhhh, THAT kind of mine :!: For a moment I thought the Duchy of Cornwall was taking 'Traffic Calming' a bit too seriously :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Glad to hear you're recovering well Mick! That pot hole looks a beast - best wishes for a speedy recovery and send us a picture of a fully recovered Mercian too :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thirdcrank wrote::oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry cranky

The specs are worse than I thought

I
DO
NEED
BETTER
SPECTACLES

:oops: :oops: :oops:

For anybody concerned about my failing eyesight, and to get this off my chest anyway, I finally got my new specs today after waiting three weeks. The company I bought them from is on the point of changing its name to 'Vision Parliamentary Train' as a more accurate depiction of its speed of operation, or rather, lack of it. :evil:
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

thirdcrank wrote:For anybody concerned about my failing eyesight, and to get this off my chest anyway, I finally got my new specs today after waiting three weeks. The company I bought them from is on the point of changing its name to 'Vision Parliamentary Train' as a more accurate depiction of its speed of operation, or rather, lack of it. :evil:

The touring bike I ordered in June has finally made it to the shop today. I've been waiting a week short of two months! Much more to come on that in the Cycling Goods & Services forum...

Back on topic... belated sympathies Mick, hope you heal up soon. :)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick - I've just found this after reading your other thread on the subject.

Sorry to hear of your prang - they're not nice - my last one had me in hospital for a week. But the pain will go - honestly.

The CTC has always successfuly handled any claims that I've had. Keep a careful, well detailed, daily record of everything since the moment of the prang - pain, incapacity, inconvenience, loss of fitness due to being off bike, costs (every cost - even down to phone calls and postage) - everything. Apart from helping the legak chaps build up the claim, it will help the medic who does the final medical report.

You'll not be back at your best yet - you'll still be stiff and sore. I hope you're improving every day. Keep us informed of progress, won't you?

Best wishes,

JohnW.