She's arrived. New bike. Cooooorrrr

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Manx Cat

She's arrived. New bike. Cooooorrrr

Postby Manx Cat » 11 Aug 2008, 2:50pm

Well, shes arrived. Van Nicolas Amazon.... I was a bit concerned about her colour, but she looks lovely and gleaming. Like a new kitchen she is full of ace gadgets and space saving thingies.

Unboxed and beautiful.... I keep staring at her... :lol: Just taken her back to the laboratory after getting her all fixed tight, shes just behind me. What an aura!

Done a quick tour around campus to ensure seat height etc. Oh... what a nice cool ride. Effortless, calm and lovely. No friction or movement or anything. Brakes are smooth, very sharp of course compared to Sirrus who perhaps needs new shoes right now anyway.

Tonight I am cycling her home in a force 7 wind. All 21 miles. So should have a good idea on fit during this time.

Pics later... Sorry if you end up drooling a bit... :lol:

Mary

Wildduck

Postby Wildduck » 11 Aug 2008, 3:04pm

Ace!!! (am I allowed to say "ace" anymore? :oops: )
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)

BrianInnes

Postby BrianInnes » 11 Aug 2008, 6:35pm

Need pics!

Enjoy the first ride of the new bike, it's always a nice feeling riding a shiny new bike for the first time! :D

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 11 Aug 2008, 7:32pm

Mary, an Amazon?!

What have you done,robbed a bank or something!

You jammy toad. You must be a lot fitter and faster than you've been letting on too. I bet you'll get round the Island a bit quicker on that one! :wink:

melw1

Postby melw1 » 11 Aug 2008, 9:32pm

Pics...PICS!!!! Purleeeze!

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 11 Aug 2008, 10:00pm

Ummmm yep... Sorry Pioneer...

Lovely bike by the way... here are the pictures as promised. I cycled home distance of 21 miles only bit that was uncomfortable was the botty - missing the Brooks already. Chas is sealing the damage with silicon to see if the saddle can be used. I hope it works!

The bike rides very different to the Sirrus. She rides very big. I was surprised at this, as the Sirrus I have has a 57cm frame, and I was talked into by Dave at cyclesense to get a smaller frame. Initially a 50cm one. But this I did find far too cramped. So I had a go on Daves bike - a 54cm frame and bingo thats the one I chose.

Cycling home this evening, the wheels seemed HUGE... why I dont know they are the same size as the sirrus ie 700 x 28c. They seem very chunky but are the same size and width. It took a bit of getting accustomed to the bars, but I do prefer them to straight bars.

Oddly when I was cycling home, I kept thinking... not as fast as Sirrus, until I looked at the computer that said I was in fact doing more than 4mph more than it felt like. I also found she really enjoys the downhill bits... I suppose with a 3 stone over weight tubby on board, and gravity this bit was easy so off she went, I got to 38mph.. about the limit of my nerves on a bendy bit of road and so used the brakes. :lol:

Hills : well she manages them well, she is geared to cope wiht hills, and has not only a granny gear, but a Zimmer gear as well! Again gearing took a bit of getting used to but Ill manage these properly in a day or so.

Anyway here she is... in all her newness and glory. To tease you, here is the front wheel. Fitted with a nice low riser for panniers. WOW, it even came automatically with a front prop stand too. I found the Sirrus really struggled with the bar bag without one of these, kept twisting round when parked.

Not anymore! Take notice - NICE mudguards, fitted and ready to rock and roll.

Went for butterfly bars too. (I like all the pic and mix you can get with a new bike). I suffer badly from numb hands. This is a big improvement as I can move all the time when the discomfort starts. (looks different too!)

A nice rear view of her, note the ace panniers supplied by Bike Packer. I am most impressed with these, and so glad I bought silver and black as by chance it matches the colour of the bike.

Fitting bar bag this weekend.

AND she can have her rear light on with all the bags ready to go. The carradice will also fit as well. No heel rubbing on the way home either.

She gave a very smooth ride infact. I was amazed on how quiet she ran.

Right side of wonder machine...

And cos there is a pannier on each side, to balance it.... the left side of her:

Image'

Finally the rear view.... again.

There you have it.... The very very very last cycle I shall ever buy for myself.

Pioneer - she was indeed an arm and a leg... in fact I could of bought a small second hand car for the price I paid. I sold my horses and all their equipment to fund this cycle. I didnt want the money raised to just trickle away on heating oil or food bills.... Instead Ive got a great piece of cycling kit and intend to get a lot of use out of her.

Its wonderful cycling out there on the roads, and by far less worrying than riding a pony on them thats for sure! I shall miss my horses, I ve had them for 14 years +. But, I simply have more fun and with less worry and hassle on 2 wheels than on 4 legs. I dont regret it for a moment.

My youngest is also getting my Sirrus to replace her bike that has had it to be honest, so in a way, we are getting two bikes not one.

I fancy doing Audax maybe next season or the one after if I am able to get away. Certainly our family have the cycle bug right now, and I intend to keep cycling for many years to come.

Mary

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 11 Aug 2008, 10:13pm

Two trips "abroad", and now this?
Your having quite a year aren't you?
Nice bike, BTW :lol:
What type of gears do you have there?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 11 Aug 2008, 10:20pm

"There you have it.... The very very very last cycle I shall ever buy for myself. "

A wonderful statement, and a wonderful bike.
Well done, and I'm sure you will be happy.

A bike can undergo many component changes. When bits wear out or become outdated they can be replaced. My bike is like Trigger's Broom.

A good frame is forever.
Mick F. Cornwall

DavidT

New bike

Postby DavidT » 11 Aug 2008, 10:27pm

Enjoy!

The Van Nicholas do look great don't they?

Although personally I'm not one for butterfly bars! (Ignore me!)

Colour co-ord of luggage with frame/guards looks fantastic.

Lovely. Happy cycling Manx Cat

David

yoyo

Postby yoyo » 11 Aug 2008, 10:33pm

Congratulations on your new steed. Best wishes for millions of safe miles on her! I love the butterfly bars; the only thing I feel my Batavus is missing! Well done on your Hadrian's Wall trip also.

Yoyo

Asdace

Postby Asdace » 12 Aug 2008, 12:42am

I put my butterfly bars on the mountain bike and boy, what a differant it made it. You will love them.

aesmith

Postby aesmith » 12 Aug 2008, 8:14am

Hub gears?

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 12 Aug 2008, 8:37am

Mary, that is one good looking bike.
You have re-invented a modern,lightweight,reliable,roadster cum-tourer.
Well done!!
It's just the sort of bike a lot of people actually need,if only they knew it!

Happy cycling,all the best. :wink:

minkie

Postby minkie » 12 Aug 2008, 8:54am

Mary:
This is a bit quirky - I took delivery of a bike built on an Amazon frame a fortnight ago. I also bought it to replace a Sirrus. I also remember saying 'this will be the last bike I buy' (and I still think that).

Similarilities stop there though - mine looks really different from yours just 'cos its set up differently. Not better not worse, just different.

I'm finding the Amazon gives an absolutely fantastic ride and I just like it more and more as time goes on. I'm so glad that I went for it and am sure you will be too. Well done for making it happen - not cheap but great value for money!

Doug.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 12 Aug 2008, 9:25am

Ha never say never (or ever), do not believe that is the last bike you will ever buy....... As beautiful as she is they do wear eventually, or else some to55er damages it (hopefully not).
More importantly you have the cycling bug now and as you progress you may want another bike for different purposes, ie a commuter bike and a best bike.

Chunky wheels? Is it the tyres? Different tyres will make the wheels look different.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells