She's arrived. New bike. Cooooorrrr

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
yoyo

Postby yoyo » 12 Aug 2008, 10:05am

Asdace wrote:I put my butterfly bars on the mountain bike and boy, what a differant it made it. You will love them.

I want to put butterfly bars on my mountain bike - a Specialized X Country. The frame is too small for me and I wonder if the butterfly bars would give me the stretch I need from saddle to handlebars if you see what I mean. Would this be the case?

cranky

Postby cranky » 12 Aug 2008, 10:20am

yoyo wrote:
Asdace wrote:I put my butterfly bars on the mountain bike and boy, what a differant it made it. You will love them.

I want to put butterfly bars on my mountain bike - a Specialized X Country. The frame is too small for me and I wonder if the butterfly bars would give me the stretch I need from saddle to handlebars if you see what I mean. Would this be the case?

I put a set of Modola Yuma (butterfly) bars on my undersized 56cm Ridgeback, although I put them on in reverse with the open ends at the front and this made the the bike far more comfortable. The downside is that moving your hands so far in front of the steerer can make the handling a bit quirky. You really have to try it and see how it works for you.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker

Bob S

Postby Bob S » 12 Aug 2008, 4:55pm

Welcome to Ti. No more worrying about corrosion and rust. No more scratched and chipped paint.

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 12 Aug 2008, 5:41pm

..and to rohloff! That's close to my ideal bike although I've not used those butterfly bars. I hope you like the gearing. The rohloff shifter looks OK mounted on the butterfly bars.

Just buy a good lock and some security skewers for the wheels!

I think you've certainly got a bike for life there.

BrianInnes

Postby BrianInnes » 12 Aug 2008, 6:12pm

Looks like Surly forks on there. Were these a change from the forks which came with the bike?

Nice looking bike which I'm sure you will have many years enjoyment out of.

New bikes are wonderful things! :D

cranky

Postby cranky » 12 Aug 2008, 6:43pm

BrianInnes wrote:Looks like Surly forks on there. Were these a change from the forks which came with the bike?

Well spotted, Sir !

Here's me just finished building my LHT and I didn't notice the steel LHT forks on the Ti frame (probably because the first thing I did was remove the decals on mine :) ). I take it that's something to do with Ti not being up to the job when it comes to forks ?
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2

Surly Long Haul Trucker

melw1

Postby melw1 » 12 Aug 2008, 7:43pm

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Hope you have a great time together!

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 12 Aug 2008, 9:02pm

I had steel surly forks are to replace the forks that came as standard. The standard ones were carbon fibre, and as I wanted a low riser on it, I was recommended steel replacement forks instead. Dont know why carbon cant cope with a low riser?? Matter of strength or something I assume?

Dave assured me he would use good forks to replace the ones that come as standard. I think he has done this, they are very sleek and rather lovely to look at... hard to think they are steel to be honest.

Dave said you can get titanium ones, but it would shoot the price up more than I had.

The steel forks also help to balance the weight ratio. I found Daves Amazon with carbon forks very light up front.

All the fittings are very neat. The Rohloff gearing is a bit odd to start with and the low gears growl a bit on hills, but Im getting used to them - they have to bed in a bit. Its a twist grip on the right handlebar. I really get along with the butterfly bars. I have a bad lower back (old riding accident) and simply cannot manage with drops. (stretches me too much) Tried them and hated them. Not a critisim of others who use them, but they didnt suit me.

Can you remove decals?

Mary

cranky

Postby cranky » 12 Aug 2008, 9:14pm

Manx Cat wrote:Can you remove decals?

Mary

The Surly decals (if that's what you're referring to) will come off with a fingernail or old credit card (any old piece of hard plastic with a square edge will do). The bits of old decal make a right mess, they just want to stick right back on the frame, must be electrostatic.

Any way, I cleaned ALL my surly decals off. They really let down an otherwise lovely frame.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2

Surly Long Haul Trucker

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 12 Aug 2008, 9:34pm

I know what you mean about the rohloff. It does need some getting used to. But, shifting when stationary or jumping a handful of gears when faced with an unexpected hill is brilliant. The noise is now only apparent on mine in gear 7 and to a lesser extent in 6, the rest are silky smooth and quiet. It does take a few thousand miles and an oil change to really notice a difference though.

I have to say your van nic is really one of the best looking and best specced bikes I've seen on this forum. It was high on my list when I bought my thorn but way beyond my pocket. Enjoy!

Dean

Postby Dean » 12 Aug 2008, 10:02pm

It's a go-anywhere bike, that. The very best kind of bike.

Gunner

Re New Bike

Postby Gunner » 12 Aug 2008, 10:16pm

Mary

What a great looking bike - good luck and enjoy :wink:

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 12 Aug 2008, 11:46pm

aesmith wrote:Hub gears?

shush :lol:

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 12 Aug 2008, 11:47pm

that is lovely mc :D