Northern Canal Cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
johndavis

Northern Canal Cycling

Post by johndavis »

I love cycling around our industrial heritage. Time though to move from cycling around the midland canals to those up north.

Can anyone fronm Lancashire/Cheshire/Yorkshire suggest great days out on a bike on canals that are not necssarily in green places (but that fine as well) but full of industrial history?

I've seen the Bridgewater canal web site but I'm only just discovering north of Staffordshire on a bike. I usually go up on the train for a weekend and just pedal for fun.

Any suggestions welcome as well as any websites/contacts

Many thanks
John
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The Rochdale Canal, from Manchester to Sowerby Bridge, is a fascinating and little-used waterway, reopened throughout about five years ago. The Manchester end is built-up, certainly not always pretty, but with some real highlights like the mills of Ancoats; the summit is breathtakingly beautiful; and the descent into Yorkshire has some really interesting towns en route.

Take two days over it and explore the area a bit. The towpath is generally in good nick, and indeed much of it is to become NCN route 66, I believe.

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-ri ... al/cycling
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp? ... 9567475890
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Then of course there is the Leeds - Liverpool
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The Leeds - Liverpool is ceratinly very interesting and there is a reasonable towing path from Leeds as far as Skipton. The Ordnance Survey used to publish a book with maps. They may still do so.

I think the towpath gets a bit raggy (non-existent beyond Skipton) Somebody asked something similar a couple of years ago and I think the consensus was that it was rideable at the Lancashire end.
vernon

Post by vernon »

thirdcrank wrote:The Leeds - Liverpool is ceratinly very interesting and there is a reasonable towing path from Leeds as far as Skipton. The Ordnance Survey used to publish a book with maps. They may still do so.

I think the towpath gets a bit raggy (non-existent beyond Skipton) Somebody asked something similar a couple of years ago and I think the consensus was that it was rideable at the Lancashire end.

I recently chose to pedal to Shipley from Kirkstall along the Leeds - Liverpool canal. The surface of the towpath deteriorated after Rodley possibly due to damp weather and heavy use by cyclists. There were lots of ruts and large stones present. I was quite surprised as the Leeds to Shipley section is promoted as a cycle route.

British Waterways do not condone cycling along the entire length of the Leeds Liverpool canal though apparently that doesn't mean that their disapproval is heeded. Have a look at this list

The ISBN of the map is ISBN: 9780863511936

It costs about a fiver.
Pete Owens

Re: Northern Canal Cycling

Post by Pete Owens »

johndavis wrote:II've seen the Bridgewater canal web site

A warning about the Bridgewater Canal.
Cycling is prohibited for most of its length - though you can ride along the bit through Runcorn.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

When did towpaths stop being designated as public bridleways?

And was any legal process complied with when it happened?

If they didn't go through the proper legal process to close the bridleway, there's still a legal right to cycle it.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Phil_Lee wrote:When did towpaths stop being designated as public bridleways?

And was any legal process complied with when it happened?

If they didn't go through the proper legal process to close the bridleway, there's still a legal right to cycle it.

Since when were tow paths designated public bridleways?

Tow paths might have public access but are not necessarily a right of way. It's a common misconception that the tow paths are rights of way when they are usually permissive paths and, very rarely, bridle paths.

Have a look at the following extract from a policy document from the Inland Waterways Association and you'll see that if there's any redesignations, they are usually in favour of increasing access. The full document can be found here:
www.waterways.org.uk/Library/PolicyDocu ... yJan07.pdf

3. ACCESS/RIGHTS OF WAY

a) IWA sees merit in the establishment of a fully mapped nation-wide footpath network. IWA will encourage the inclusion of both urban and rural towing paths in recreational maps prepared by local authorities and outside agencies.
b) IWA will support the adoption of certain towing paths as public rights of way where, in the Association’s opinion, the public interest is better served yet neither the waterway environment nor the interests of those using the waterway is compromised. A condition for IWA’s support is that the local authority should be willing and able to take financial responsibility for any upgrade required, ongoing additional maintenance and servicing that results from increased public use of the towing path.
c) Where not a "public right of way" towing paths should be registered with the local authority as "permissive paths".

4. HORSE TOWING
a) The unlimited use of horses to tow boats is no longer practical. However, canal and river towing paths should be maintained in a suitable condition for the passage of horses, and boat towing lines. Where such use is practical and does not substantially interfere with mooring and other uses, navigation authorities should assist individuals or organisations planning horse drawn journeys.
b) There are places where the location and superior condition of the path make it suitable for regular horse boat operation. At such locations towing using a horse should be encouraged.
c)There should be information notices or sign posting in areas where horse towing regularly takes place and boat crews should, where possible, avoid mooring in these areas.
d)To facilitate such passage it is important that convenient means are provided for the horse and towline to pass through barriers & other calming measures. Barriers should, wherever possible, be at locations where it is normal for the horse to pause. (Examples: - at locks or moving bridges.)
e)To avoid the "snagging" of towlines, trees and shrubs should be removed from the area between the walking surface and the channel.

HORSE RIDING
a) Horses should not be ridden on towing paths except where the towing path is also a bridleway.
b) Where horse riding is permitted, there should be notices warning that extra awareness and care should be exercised. It is IWA's view that, where a path has "shared use", horses should not proceed faster than "at the walk".
6. CYCLING
a) Although cycles have been used as an aid to boating and for access since the start of the mass production of cheap bicycles, around 1900, it is a byelaw offence to cycle without permission on a British Waterways’ towing path. Apart from a few pilot "permit schemes" the byelaw is rarely enforced. IWA believes BW should retain the powers, conferred by the byelaw, to control cycling.
b) The introduction of "all terrain" leisure cycles, the work of Sustrans and the need for cycle routes away from road traffic to meet the requirements of the Road Traffic Reduction Act 1997, has placed increasing pressure for new or continuing use of towing paths as cycle routes.
c) IWA supports the current BW approach that positive management of cycling is preferable to a total ban on cycles or a "free for all" situation. Commuter and recreational cycling should only take place where the safety of the rider can be assured and it does not compromise the safety and enjoyment of other users.
d) IWA supports self-financing schemes designed to regulate cycling on towing paths and which provide insurance cover for the cyclist, against injury to themselves, pedestrians and other users. BW has a limited liability insurance scheme available to cyclists.
e) A bicycle, used as an aid to boating, is a long established aspect of canal navigation. The use of a bicycle to ride to and from locks can assist in minimising the use of water and reduction of delays. A bicycle is also a useful means of getting help in emergency situations. Therefore, one free permit for one cycle should be issued for each boat for which a licence with the navigation authority is issued.
f) IWA supports sedate recreational cycling on suitable towing paths by individuals, families and small groups. Cyclists must take particular care when passing walkers and anglers, and be prepared to dismount.
g) Time trials, races and other large group cycling activities are not appropriate on towing paths and should not be permitted.
h) IWA realises that many towing paths are still unrideable and therefore welcomes BW’s commitment to seek and use non-navigation budget funding for the improvement of such paths.
i) There is not a specific speed limit for cyclists, but cyclists must cede priority to other users and have a duty of care to those users.
All cycles should have a bell or horn, which must be used to warn other users of their approach and lights, should be fitted and used at night
k) Cycle permits, where required, should be clearly visible.
m) Navigation authority staff should enforce byelaws and rules relating to cycling. The costs of employing enforcement staff should be funded by income from cyclists or other public funding in support of cycling.
n) Where it is required, cyclists should receive a cycling permit and a copy of "The Code for Cyclists".

6a Cycle-ways.
A towing path should not be designated as part of a formal cycle route unless it is at least four metres in width, including the fringe but not the hedge or boundary. The two metres nearest the waterside should be reserved for pedestrians and anglers. The cycle track should be a clearly marked area, of the towing path, in the same way as a municipal cycle-way. Navigation authorities should compile and publish accurate and consistent lists of towing paths, in their jurisdiction, that are suitable for cycling.
Richard Fairhurst

As Vernon says, towpaths have (by and large) never been designated public bridleways.

Don't confuse the permissive right to tow a boat with a horse, with the the public right to ride a horse!

Richard
(day job: editor, Waterways World magazine)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I get the impression that British Waterways, or whatever these people now call themselves, want all the green reflected glow of encouraging cycling withouit any of the hassle of permitting it.
vernon

Post by vernon »

thirdcrank wrote:I get the impression that British Waterways, or whatever these people now call themselves, want all the green reflected glow of encouraging cycling withouit any of the hassle of permitting it.

The quoted document is not a British Waterways policy document. It comes from the Inland Waterways Association a national charity whose mission statement is:

Our Vision -"To ensure the inland waterways of England and Wales are restored and maintained to the best possible standards, and kept accessible for the benefit of all people".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was basing my comments on my general experience, which I would have to say is not vast because in general I find riding on the road infinitely preferable to the alternatives.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

I've ridden various sections of the Leeds & Liverpool canal towpath and it does have 'cycling prohibited' signs at the bridges. So I simply gave pedestrians (dog walkers especially) a wide berth. One the whole, the barge people are very friendly and like to wave.

The countryside is attractive but after a while I find that cycling along a canal tends to become rather tedious. Too narrow and too flat.
Richard Fairhurst

Not all the L&L is closed to cycling - several sections form part of NCN routes, such as the Pennine Cycleway.

The reference to which sections of towpath are open to cyclists is here:

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documen ... wpaths.pdf

though I suspect it's a little out-of-date in places.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

And it's a pity the permitted parts are so disjointed. Just downloaded a British Waterways Permit. I wonder what the penalty is for being caught cycling on a prohibited stretch.